Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB

Go down 
+3
Admin
WolverineHistorian
fishgoblue22
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB Empty
PostSubject: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Guy graduated from Maryland in 3 years. Can he play right away? Since he RS in 2009 and only played in 2010 and 2011 does he get two years at UW?

http://btn.com/2012/03/28/former-maryland-qb-obrien-picks-wisconsin/

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/obrien_danny00.html
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 2:25 pm

I can't stand Bielema. Another experienced QB just falls right in his lap. It would be nice to see him have to go through the pains of actually breaking in a new/freshman quarterback for once.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Yes he can play. It's the standard graduate program rule.

I do think it's kinda bullshit how UW will have 2 straight transfers starting at QB.

Keeps going at this pace, perhaps a rule/cap needs to be put into place to limit the number of these kinds of transfers schools can get.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Can he play 2 years.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:50 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Can he play 2 years.

I would assume. The rule was put in place, in my assumption, so a person who red-shirts (thus only using 3 of his four years of eligibility) could transfer to another school that offers a graduate program that his prior school didn't offer. This guy only took 3 years to graduate, plus he red-shirted one-year meaning he only used two-years of eligibility.

So it looks as if that Master of Cheese Processing program that Wisky offers is coming in handy (for their football team).

That kid must have known about this loop-hole in order to cram 4 years of college into 3. Why else go through that? I mean obviously the guy is a gifted athlete, he was a D-1 QB (albeit back-up). Evidently he saw long ago that he was never going to be "The Man" so he decided to cram his studies into three years and then go to another school for his Masters while still having 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Of course I could be wrong, but who knows?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Bo don't be surprised if Obrien comes out swinging. He'll have the league's best RB, the league's best TE and even though Toon is gone he'll have the league's most underrated WR (IMO) abredaris to throw to. I know UW's O line lost a lot of talent but they are UW and O line is their bread and butter. they will reload, he'll be plenty safe back there.

He may not be Russell but he was ACC rookie of the year. don't fool yourself, he can play. I already predicted UW to face Nebraska in the B1G championship game and this solidifies it for me. UW will have this guy for two years too, unlike Russell's one which is scary.

UW has a real shot at back to back to back rose bowl appearances. unfortunately for them it will mean back to back to back losses because they will either have to face Oregon or USC and that doesn't bode well for them.

UW is probably targeting their next QB... an ACC QB for 2014 ha ha

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
. I already predicted UW to face Nebraska in the B1G championship game

I should have included your "ha ha" in my cut-and-paste of your quate, Sandy, because it does invoke some
laughter on this end. I know this wasn't the topic of this overall thread, but I cannot see what's to fear so
bone-chillingly from Nebraska. Yes, they get us at Lincoln this year, but they got NW there last year as well.
And I cannot escape the morass they're condemned to by starting a QB who can't throw. And from experience (for the millionth time, I know, and apologize), TM's ultra-unnatural motion is NOT something easily
corrected, IF correctible.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:24 am

To get back "on-topic", in terms of this thread, I'm convinced this sort of shenanighans is going to catch up, sooner rather than later, with Bielima (sp...and I don't G.A.S.). I'm very glad coach Hoke isn't going this route.

These retreads, experienced as they ipso facto are, and talented as they MIGHT be, have at most two---in some cases, one---year to learn a totally new system. And the year after, their successor goes through the same thing, so the program could, theoretically, go through what our defensive players did under RR (three seasons, three coordinators). In a different way and on a different scale, sure, but-- know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:43 am

michmike wrote:
To get back "on-topic", in terms of this thread, I'm convinced this sort of shenanighans is going to catch up, sooner rather than later, with Bielima (sp...and I don't G.A.S.). I'm very glad coach Hoke isn't going this route.

These retreads, experienced as they ipso facto are, and talented as they MIGHT be, have at most two---in some cases, one---year to learn a totally new system. And the year after, their successor goes through the same thing, so the program could, theoretically, go through what our defensive players did under RR (three seasons, three coordinators). In a different way and on a different scale, sure, but-- know what I mean?

I would think this method could eventually affect their recruiting as well, couldn't it? What high school senior QB is going to want to commit to Wisconsin when they continue to pick up experienced QB's from other schools?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 am

I will say this. In the case of Russell Wilson, NC State told him that he wasn't welcome back for his 5th year. The head coach didn't like that he played minor league baseball in the spring/summer and he wasn't 100% committed to the football team. They told him they were going in a different direction. This descision was made so the coach could save face and not have to explain why the best QB on the team was not starting.

Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:59 am

michmike wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:
. I already predicted UW to face Nebraska in the B1G championship game

I should have included your "ha ha" in my cut-and-paste of your quate, Sandy, because it does invoke some
laughter on this end. I know this wasn't the topic of this overall thread, but I cannot see what's to fear so
bone-chillingly from Nebraska. Yes, they get us at Lincoln this year, but they got NW there last year as well.
And I cannot escape the morass they're condemned to by starting a QB who can't throw. And from experience (for the millionth time, I know, and apologize), TM's ultra-unnatural motion is NOT something easily
corrected, IF correctible.

I agree. Playing Nebraska at home will be a challenge but I do not see Nebraska winning the division. This will need to be played out. I am not sold on Martinez at Pelini for that matter.

michmike wrote:

I agree. I think it is hard to have any continuity on offense with the current revolving door they have at Wisconsin. Fortunately for them they have a lot of talent, particularly in the backfield to overcome this. They can beat the Minnesota's and Indiana's. Where it will hurt will be against top competition, especially with teams that can stop their running game.

WolverineHistorian wrote:

I would think this method could eventually affect their recruiting as well, couldn't it? What high school senior QB is going to want to commit to Wisconsin when they continue to pick up experienced QB's from other schools?

I would certainly think so.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Fully agree on the recruiting issue, WH and WMF. Even BULL-ima's gerrymandering won't (or eventually won't) convince first-rate HS QBs that he's genuine when he says, "Oh, so-and-so has only one year of grad school eligibility, and the year after next it'll be your team, kid." (When the kid knows full-well, or ought to, that BB will pull the same stunt with another such "graduate" QB the "year after next".)

ALSO---another point---just how good, aside from the obvious college experience, can any of these QBs be, when at that point (right after leaving NC St. or Maryland) in their lives/careers they were DRAFT-ELIGIBLE yet didn't make themselves available (or get selected)??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB   Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB Empty

Back to top Go down

Wisconsin going with another ACC transfer at QB
Page 1 of 1