Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
michmike

Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... Empty
PostSubject: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:30 am

...and such a high percentage of those with the Tigers, let me say that was one hell of an
opening day effort by the best starting pitcher in baseball. Eight scoreless innings against
a solid, if in-decline, Bosox lineup.

I've always admired Justin V. Former pitcher or not, I've seen and played more than enough
baseball to know the toughest pitch to hit always has been, is, and always will be a top-notch
HUMMER. You can stick forkballs, sliders, knucklers, change-ups and breakers you-know-where if they aren't
protected by a good fastball; batters can wait on them, knowing you can't throw it by them at
any time, and on muggy, humid nights those slower offerings HANG too much and too often.
About the only great (his stats demand I call him great) pitcher I can honestly recall who made it
SANS a true major-league fastball was Greg Maddux.

And a first-rate hummer is something J.V. has NEVER been at a loss for; probably as hard a thrower
as any starter in the game. Cripes, I still recall the 2006 post-season, when hitters KNEW his ace
was coming, and he STILL blew it by them. (These are major-league hitters, friends).
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:39 am

Yeah mike, he's fairly impressive.

As a Cubs fan allow me to be the first to say "Wait'll Next Year!"

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:59 am

Faily impressive? He is the best pitcher in baseball right now. Bar none.

He was a really good pitcher before last season, but he wasn't complacent, and did what he had to do to improve. Not only that, he looks to have improved this off season. And he has added a new pitch that he calls the "slurve". Works like a curve/slider.

His fastball is impressive more for it's movement than it's speed. He will throw an 85 mph change and then come back with a 95 mph fastball and hitters just stand there looking confused.

I expect him to win 20+ again this year.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:05 am

THEstjoemfan wrote:
As a Cubs fan allow me to be the first to say "Wait'll Next Year!"

Already? Sheesh---with last night's loss, the Cubbies' "magic#" for elimination is all the way down to 161...

Chicago's NL franchise can be forgiven for asking, "With 'friends' like St.Joe..."

("...who needs Cardinals or Phillies?")
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:11 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
He will throw an 85 mph change and then come back with a 95 mph fastball and hitters just stand there looking confused.

Good bit, Fish, but the excerpt I quoted you is your best part: his mixture of pitches. The batters simply
can't sit on any one pitch, or automatically lay off any one, since he also has good command/control of his breaking and off-speed arsenal.

In my forecast, the only way JV does not win 20 this year is---and here's a heartfelt hope against it---injury. Especially given the fact he has a solid defense and fully-adequate hitting support behind him.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:13 am

I'm a Cubs fan, as well, and trust me, nothing good is coming from this season.

I didn't even have to watch yesterday's game to say that. Every analyst in the world is predicting 75 wins or less this year. Our lineup is garbage. We brought in Theo from Boston, and he's a 'build it from the ground up' baseball mind. We're not going to go out and make huge FA splashes. He's going to draft well, build our pipelines in the minors, and in the few years have a decent-to-solid squad.

It's a 2 minute walk from my house to Wrigley Field. Was over there yesterday morning to scope out the scene (PACKED, of course, at 9:30am...all the bars were standing room only at that point). But the Cubs are the Lovable Losers. That's what makes the Cubs special. Even though we, the fans, KNOW they suck, we show up anyway. Almost every game is a 40k+ sellout. So it's always fun going to the ol' ballpark.

But we've learned throughout the years to curb almost any expectations. 103 years of disappointment will do that to a fan base.

Either way, Go Cubs Go.

As far as Verlander, he's definitely up there as one of the best starting pitchers in the league. Not sure if I can give him the nod over Doc Holladay or Cliff Lee just yet. If anything, I probably have them tied for best.

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:20 am

Fish, I guess you couldn't see my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

Uh, yeah, I do realize he's "fairly Impressive" lol

And mike, read what ADMIN says. Plus, when you've been a Cubs fan this long you realize immediately what you have. You should see our lineup. Good AAA teams would give us a run for our money. Bullpen? PSHAW

What I saw yesterday is exactly what I've seen for years and years. Starter goes into the 8th pitching wonderfully. Manager thinks he needs to make a change just so he can get on TV and everyone can see him. Bullpem Fucks Up.

Year after year.

Mike, imagine rooting for Michigan and having to have RR as your coach. EVERY YEAR! That's how I feel towards the Cubs. And it sickens me. Opening day is the #1 day of the year for me. And it's all down from here. Sad

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 am

Perfect timing??

Literally just came across this on Twitter, from Darren Rovell (CNBC Business Sports writer):

Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... 55448410

So, Joe and I certainly aren't alone. Sad

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:29 am

Ok so, "Wait til next year" isn't just me huh?

lol

Man that just is so damn disappointing. I have a picture on my wall, ADMIN and other Chicago people may understand a little better than most. It's by an Award Winning Politicall Cartoonist Dave MacNally. (He does the cartoon strip ""Shoe".)

It shows an individual sitting in the stands in a T-Shirt in yellow while the rest of the picture is Back and White. They are all dressed in Parkas and mittens and stocking caps.

The T-Shirt on the lone dude says "Hope Springs Eternal!"

That's ME!

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:33 am

THEstjoemfan wrote:
Mike, imagine rooting for Michigan and having to have RR as your coach. EVERY YEAR! That's how I feel towards the Cubs. (

OK, OK, point taken!! Now that you, ahem, put it that way, I can understand, and forgive, your lack of faith in your lovable losers of a team...
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am

Yeah, kinda like walking away from Michigan Stadium after the first game of RR's 3rd season. You knew ALREADY that you weren't any better than last year. Or the year before.

Ok, no more RR bashing from here.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:46 pm

I equate Cubs' fans to that of sparty fans. Delusional at best...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 9:19 am

Yeah, uh Thanks for that?

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Speaking of ball, Blue beat sparty 4-0 last night at the 'fish. Sparty is up 2-0 after 4 today in east landfill. Sparty has improved their baseball facilities immensely.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 2:21 pm

LOL...Delaney just had a 2-run single to tie the score at 2-2 and after he got to 1st he looked over to the M dug-out and gave the Denard "we're hungry and gotta eat" sign.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Last edited by 2ndComingOfBo on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Michigan beat sparty 4-3. Come on out to the 'fish tomorrow at 3:00 to watch Michigan sweep sparty!

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Michigan won 4-3. Michigan goes for the 3-game sweep of sparty tomorrow at the 'fish @3:00. Wow I hate sparty, and this has turned into a very good weekend.

sparty has vastly improved their baseball facilities and with it neing a nice day their stadium was about at capacity. I managed to snag a seat and low and behold the guy next to me was an 80-year-old sparty fan. He was a nice guy, and actually pretty bright. He said that he was a Prof. at sparty for 35 years, then retired, but came out of retirement to become a Prof. at Michigan for 10 years.

I encourage anyone who lives near A2 to come out to the 'fish tomorrow. It's only $5, yeah it's Easter but what better way to spend Easter than to watch sparty cry?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...   Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball... Empty

Back to top Go down

Since so many of you seem enamored with baseball...
Page 1 of 1