Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Big Ten Conference Logo

Go down 
+2
fishgoblue22
stjotoo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
stjotoo

Big Ten Conference Logo Empty
PostSubject: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:52 am

Is just me, or do others feel the Big Ten logo is goofy? B1G ! Is this some ad agency's brainchild? Or what is the symbolism? Literally, it reads B one G. And I suppose the G could be taken as "zeroish" at a glance. The last logo (before Nebraska) had a subtle 11 in the design, but does anyone see a twelve within this design?

Another thought in the last couple of weeks. The University of Kentucky has a lot to learn about post game "celebrations" from our neighbors in East Lansing. The UK fires, car overturnings, demonstrations, etc. last week were second rate compared to the prior ones at MSU where the happenings came win or lose a big game.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 am

Yeah, it is horrible. Should have figured a way to fit the 12 in like they did with the 11. But, it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:57 am

Yeah, not too sure what they were trying to accomplish with the new logo. Plenty of articles written about it last summer, though, so I'll dig back and see what the Delany or anyone else from the conference said about it.

brb.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 am

Here's a quote from a guy from the design firm that created the new logo:

"The new Big Ten logo was developed to symbolize the conference's future, as well as its rich heritage, strong tradition of competition, academic leadership, and passionate alumni," said Gericke. "Its contemporary collegiate lettering includes an embedded numeral "10" in the word "BIG," which allows fans to see "BIG" and "10" in a single word. Memorable and distinctive, the new logo evolved from the previous logo's use of negative space and is built on the conference's iconic name, without reference to the number of member institutions."

Then, from the big guy, Delany:

"The new Big Ten logo provides a contemporary identifying mark unifying 12 outstanding institutions," said Delany. "It conveys some elements from the past while simultaneously introducing new features. We think the new logo is fun and has something for everyone."

Also pulled from article: The new logo also provides the flexibility of multiple versions which can be used horizontally, vertically and within new media.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:07 am

Here was a good video the conference released when they released the new logo and division names....

To be fair, that's an awesome stat about Osborne (in the video).
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 am

I thought I heard somewhere, and it wasn't pinpointed exactly in the story, was that it allowed us to go to 16 teams.

Now that would make sense. But I'm not certain of the accuracy.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:24 am

Yeah I could easily see them adjusting the 'G' into a '6'.

Good point, Joe.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 am

I claim no responsibility for the information. I just thought I saw that somewhere.

Real real easy to use the G as a 6.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:23 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
I thought I heard somewhere, and it wasn't pinpointed exactly in the story, was that it allowed us to go to 16 teams.

Now that would make sense. But I'm not certain of the accuracy.

IIRC, that's it. Spot on joe!
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 8:53 am

The G is supposed to look like a six. I don't remember where I read that either, but having 16 teams was, or still is a goal of the conference. It also gives them more of a constant logo instead of having to change it every time they expand, at least if until that ever happens.

Also, in the quote that admin posted, it says, "The new Big Ten logo was developed to symbolize the conference's future." That pretty much spells it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Conference Logo   Big Ten Conference Logo Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Ten Conference Logo
Page 1 of 1