Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB

Go down 
+5
joe
Wolverdog
Orion_Wolverine
fishgoblue22
Admin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB Empty
PostSubject: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 pm

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120419/SPORTS0201/204190476/1361/Michigan-band-won’t-travel-to-Alabama-game-in-Texas--travel-bill-would-be-$400K

Quotes:

"I'm glad people are excited about the game, and they want the band to be there," Brandon told The News on Thursday evening. "I would love the band to be there — I would love the band to be at every game — but the cost of doing that is prohibitive. We don't take the band to (regular season) games further away than a bus ride."

"Bowl game committees will pay the expenses for taking the band, and that's why we always take the band. That's part of the reward of going to a bowl game," Brandon said. "This is not a bowl game. I don't know of any other team during the regular season chartering private jets for their bands. I would love to have the band there, but the cost is beyond what we can afford.

"I'm no happier not having our band down there than anyone else, but it's a practical reality."

______

Over the past few hours, people have taken to Twitter trying to build momentum towards donations.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 6:55 am

Sounds like Brandon is indirectly asking for donations.
Back to top Go down
Orion_Wolverine

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:10 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Sounds like Brandon is indirectly asking for donations.

I agree. Dave Brandon doesn't go to the bathroom without a plan....
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:01 am

To Dave I respond, "BULLSHIT!"

This is the biggest non-con game in one of the highest profile venues in the country this season, or any other season for that matter. It will likely be played in prime time in front of the whole nation.

Who cares if nobody else is doing it? This is Michigan fergodsakes!

You take the damn band!

joe

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:12 am

I'll bet anyone $100 that the beand ends up in Dallas.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 10:00 am

I think everyone agrees with you Joe. Whether its the AD or donations that funds it, it's going to happen.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 1:36 pm

It'll cost more than $100 to take the band... Razz

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Wolverdog wrote:
To Dave I respond, "BULLSHIT!"

This is the biggest non-con game in one of the highest profile venues in the country this season, or any other season for that matter. It will likely be played in prime time in front of the whole nation.

Who cares if nobody else is doing it? This is Michigan fergodsakes!

You take the damn band!

^This

Apparently they are throwing around the price of 400k to take the band. affraid Is this fing serious????? Do you really have to charter a plane??? They use trucks to get the football gear to road games can't they do the same for the band equipment?? Let the band kids fly commercial for crying out load. There has to be a more affordable way. The 400k number is appalling to me for some reason. Probably because you could feed the continent of Africa for a year on that.

Regardless I agree with Wolverdog this needs to get done. Shame on Brandon for not reaching out to alum's or being more proactive by setting up a fundraiser. You don't just shrug your shoulders and say there is noting you can do. That is bullshit.
Back to top Go down
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 1:57 pm

110,000+ tickets sold each home game
AVERAGE ticket cost $65 (not including suites, etc.)
Roughly 5-6 home games a season

And we are supposed to believe this rubbish? Sorry, but even it would cost $400,000 to get the band there, isnt that chump change for MICHIGAN FOOTBALL?

Sheesh!
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Don't forget they are getting 5 million to appear in the game.
Back to top Go down
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Watch.... DB will be watching the game from Jerry's suite or something.... while the band is at home... how sick would that be?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm not trying to start anything but it is my role in life to play Devil's Advocate. $400K sounds about right actually. Don't forget lodging, meals, transportation, etc. 350+ band members cost a lot.

Also uomchris, yes the Football program brings in a large amount of money but not much of that money actually goes back to the Football program. Don't get me wrong, the Football program gets what they need but the entire athletic department (except hockey and possibly men's bouncy-ball now that they are relevant again which are self-sufficient) is funded through the Football program. It has been this way for decades and that is the way it is across most D-1 schools (with some variation).

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Well, I got worked up and sent my first tweet. I did my part! Twisted Evil

#MMBtoDallas

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:02 pm

Wolverdog wrote:
Well, I got worked up and sent my first tweet. I did my part! Twisted Evil

#MMBtoDallas

Twisted Evil Yesssss!!! Another one coming to the dark side....muwahahahahahah!!!
Back to top Go down
shockjoc

PostSubject: I'd bet most band members would go on a bus if they had a choice vs.   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:17 pm

not going at all. School will not be in session yet so they have some time.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:25 pm

350+ members plus equipment at $4.00 a gallon? Not to mention Room & Board for 1 night in Dallas. It isn't gonna happen. Don't get me wrong, I wish it would, but unless Fred Wilpon or some other absurdly wealthy alum steps up it isn't gonna happen.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Sign the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/athletic-director-university-of-michigan-send-the-michigan-band-to-the-alabama-game

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 7:28 pm

Even though I understand AD Brandon's decision I signed the petition. College is about experiences, this certainly qualifies as an experience for each and every band member.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 10:46 pm

I think everyone understands the BUSINESS decision, and also that it is a BULLSHIT decision.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Unfortunately money trumps all that is right. Sucks that it is that way but it is what it is.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Brandon met with media today.....

He HAS heard from donors about the MMB situation, which have 'been terrific'.

He also said that he personally really wants to see the band go, it's just a matter of economics. Originally, the band was slated to have a 'bus tour' down to Texas, with additional stops along the way to play 'concerts'. That was in the budget, but plan fell through.

I'm sure Angelique or someone will have a story up with full quotes shortly.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 5:14 pm

You da man Admin. Keep us posted...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 5:20 pm

From Det News:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120423/SPORTS0201/204230419/1131/sports0201/Dave-Brandon-working-plan-get-Michigan-band-opener

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB   Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB Empty

Back to top Go down

Brandon responds to fan outrage over MMB
Page 1 of 1