Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tommy Rees : Jailed

Go down 
+5
MichiganFootball13
michmike
sandyeggo_blue
jjabilene
uofmchris
9 posters
AuthorMessage
uofmchris

Tommy Rees : Jailed Empty
PostSubject: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:01 am

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Police say Notre Dame quarterback Tommy Rees knocked the wind out of an officer who chased him down after an off-campus house party early Thursday and was pepper-sprayed while being arrested.

South Bend police Capt. Phil Trent says Rees was among about five people who jumped a backyard fence and ran after officers arrived at the party. Trent says when the officer caught up with Rees, the 19-year-old raised his knee into the officer and they both fell in a scuffle.

Rees was jailed on a preliminary felony charge of battery on a police officer and misdemeanor resisting arrest and alcohol charges. Trent says Rees registered 0.11 percent on a blood-alcohol test.

Rees, of Lake Forest, Ill., is jailed without bond until prosecutors decide whether to file formal charges.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7885323/tommy-rees-notre-dame-fighting-irish-jailed-alleged-confrontation-police
Back to top Go down
jjabilene

PostSubject: Seems pretty stupid to run.   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Goes from an underage drinking charge to a possible felony? Seems like a common theme with athletes/coaches, if they would just take their medicine right of the bat, they'd be better off, but they always try to resist or cover it up and it always winds up being much worse. When will they learn.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:54 pm

QB competition in South Bend just narrowed down to 3

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 1:51 pm

My guess...this gets brushed under the table and the kid walks, no charges, Brian Kelly doesnt mention a word about it, and the kid starts game 1. Wink
Back to top Go down
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Updated story:

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Police say Notre Dame quarterback Tommy Rees knocked the wind out of an officer who chased him down after an off-campus house party at about 12:30 a.m. ET Thursday and was pepper-sprayed while being arrested.

Linebacker Carlo Calabrese was also arrested, for disorderly conduct, and has since been released from jail after posting $150 bond, police said.

South Bend police Capt. Phil Trent said Rees was among about five people who jumped a backyard fence and ran after officers arrived at the party, located at 716 N. Notre Dame Ave.

Trent said when the officer, Brandon Stec, caught up with Rees, the 19-year-old raised his knee into the officer and they both fell in a scuffle, leaving Stec with a bloody right arm when he hit the pavement.

Rees continued "thrashing around and resisting," according to Trent, at which point Rees was subdued with pepper spray and placed in handcuffs. Trent said Rees continued to resist and pull away from officers.

Trent said that Calabrese tried to intervene by explaining who Rees was. When Calabrese realized it was to no avail, the linebacker threatened an officer, saying, "My people are going to get you," according to Trent.

Party-goers tried to pull back Calabrese, who ultimately pushed the others away and reiterated his threat to the officer, and he was taken into custody, Trent said.

Rees was jailed on a preliminary felony charge of battery on a police officer and misdemeanor resisting arrest and alcohol charges.

Trent says Rees registered 0.11 percent on a blood-alcohol test, and Calabrese, 21, registered 0.12.

Rees, of Lake Forest, Ill., is jailed without bond until prosecutors decide whether to file formal charges. Prosecutors have 48 hours to file, or Rees will be released from jail.

Coach Brian Kelly released a statement, calling himself "concerned" over the allegations.

"I am aware of last night's incident involving two of our football players. I am of course very concerned given the nature of the allegations, but I am still gathering information," he said. "I'll withhold judgment until I can collect all the facts and speak with both Carlo and Tommy."

Rees, a rising junior, is 12-4 as a starter at Notre Dame and is competing with three others for the starting job this season. He has completed more than 64 percent of his passes, throwing for 3,977 yards with 32 touchdowns and 22 interceptions the past two seasons.

Calabrese, entering his senior season, has played in 24 games, starting eight. He has 97 career tackles, six tackles for loss and 3½ sacks.

Both likely will enter Notre Dame's student disciplinary process and could face additional penalties from the school or Kelly.

"The university is aware of this incident and is confident that it will be handled in a prompt and professional manner through the criminal justice system," Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown said in a statement. "Internal discipline is handled privately, in accord with our own policies and federal law."

Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Agree with your first statement, Chris. The second, I'm not sure.

(1) Run from the police. Stupid as it gets. (How to yell, "I'M GUILTY!" [of some infraction]).

(2) It would likely be swept under the proverbial carpet had the officer not sustained tangible injuries (lacerations to his arm from hitting the pavement). That may make it tougher for Rees to get off Scot-free.

But I grant your underlying point: it will be his showing in August camp that determines whether he starts, or plays: not this incident.
Back to top Go down
MichiganFootball13

MichiganFootball13

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 2:52 pm

My Jr. year of college our running back was at a party when the cops showed up. Pretty much the same thing happened he ran, was caught, and wrestled with the cop. This happened the night after our semi final game (DII) and he had just broken the school record for rushing yards in a game. (I know breaks the rushing record but can't outrun a cop) but he was suspended for the national championship game and ultimately never played at my school again. The coach is now on the coaching staff and coached under Kelly at my school. So you never know what will happen to Rees.
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Get ready for that slap on the wrist. Michael Floyd got caught drunk driving twice and never missed a game. An unnamed ND player raped a student who later committed suicide (on the day Denard & Company beat them in South Bend), as far as we know, that player is still on the team. Now this stuff with Rees? I'm sure Brian Kelly will say he will be disciplined and then the day before the season starts, he'll say that Rees has learned his lesson. Game on!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:16 pm

"I'll withhold judgment until I can collect all the facts and speak with both Carlo and Tommy." -BK

That says it all. Talk to the kids (teenagers).. I'm sure they are gonna tell you the truth coach...

LOL
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:42 pm

I can hear my notre dame friends now just blowing this off. Saying things like, "That's fine, Gunner is going to start for the next four years anyway."

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Please start Gunner this year. Dear sweet ND-loving Jesus, start Gunner. We'll win by 30.

WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:42 pm

I agree with others no punishment. Once again Kelly shows he has no ethics.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:54 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
I agree with others no punishment. Once again Kelly shows he has no ethics.

He has already shown that, or are you forgetting the student camera-man getting blown off of the scaffolding incident?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Rees : Jailed   Tommy Rees : Jailed Empty

Back to top Go down

Tommy Rees : Jailed
Page 1 of 1