Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW

Go down 
+2
WolverineHistorian
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW Empty
PostSubject: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:52 am

On BTN.

Remember how much hoopla surrounded Justin Zwick...then he was AWFUL?

Yeah, me too.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:49 am

I don't remember much hoopla around Zwick. I just remember the bad part and I willingly choose to forget what happened after he was pulled.

That was a great game, though. Once Northwestern won, if I'm not mistaken, our streak over Indiana became the longest winning streak in the Big Ten.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:24 am

If memory serves correct Zwick was highly touted coming in. I think he was young when he started, not ready.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/915860-the-most-overrated-player-of-all-time-for-every-bcs-college-football-team/page/41
Back to top Go down
eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:03 am

Admin wrote:
If memory serves correct Zwick was highly touted coming in. I think he was young when he started, not ready.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/915860-the-most-overrated-player-of-all-time-for-every-bcs-college-football-team/page/41

Yeah he was highly touted. I think him and Morelli from PSU might have been in the same class and both were hyped up but failed.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:14 am

Zwick was a 4 star in 2002 class:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/football/recruiting/player-Justin-Zwick-204

Morelli was a 4 star in the 2004 class:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/football/recruiting/player-Anthony-Morelli-15642

Henne was a 5 star in the 2004 class:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/football/recruiting/player-Chad-Henne-17430

I remember Henne verbaled to PSU, then changed his mind, and the day he decommitted, Morelli committed to PSU.

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:29 am

I always though Henne had a huge set of balls.

There were some fans that complained when he bent over to take the snap.

I always loved Henne. I always though he gave 100%
Back to top Go down
eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

THEstjoemfan wrote:
I always though Henne had a huge set of balls.

There were some fans that complained when he bent over to take the snap.

I always loved Henne. I always though he gave 100%

He was 0-4 vs O$U but he played pretty well against them in his career. We all remember how great he was in the '06 vs them but he also had a great game against them in '05. We basically were about to win that game due to Henne alone, as Hart was out for that game and we had no running game. Then the out of shape defense choked it again like they did so much that season. ...and then of course the '07 game were he obviously wasn't close to 100% and shouldn't even have been playing imo.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:51 am

I loved how Henne played at UM. Worked has butt off and won a lot more than he lost. I feel he was handcuffed by play calling a little bit too. I named one of my dogs Henne. I have Bo and Henne.

But, I loved Navarre too. He took way more crap than he should have. Represented the school/team with nothing but class.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Ditto on Navarre. Didn't he graduate with the most passing yards in Michigan History?

Yeah, people hammered him unmercilessly.
Back to top Go down
eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 1:30 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
Ditto on Navarre. Didn't he graduate with the most passing yards in Michigan History?

I remember reading a story how Navarre's parents didn't enjoy going to some of the games because of fans in the crowd hammering him. quite sad...
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

eGrandpa wrote:
THEstjoemfan wrote:

I remember reading a story how Navarre's parents didn't enjoy going to some of the games because of fans in the crowd hammering him. quite sad...

The fans were definitely hard on Navarre. I don't remember the fans being very hard on him during the games I went to. But they would not let up during the spring games where they literally groaned and moaned every time he came up to take snaps. He handled it all very well though. There wasn't a single interview with Navarre I ever saw where he didn't come across like a really nice guy.

As for Henne, I remember the Nittany Lion meltdown when we committed to us. They were already sore about Steve Breaston coming here the year before.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 5:57 pm

I met Navarre a few times while in school. Really nice guy, incredibly humble, and very positive. The guy was pretty big he had to duck to go back to the bathroom in The Brown Jug. I always pulled for him in the NFL but I always knew that he wouldn't be Brady-esque.

Yea Joe, I'm pretty sure he had the most passing yards in history for UM, until Henne took it away a few years later. It was either that or TDs.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 6:59 pm

I think every single Michigan fan cursed Navarre multiple times every Saturday.

But, like you guys are getting at, the kid won a fair amount of games, and up until last season, he was the last Michigan QB to beat Ohio.

Also led some good comebacks, including that huge comeback out at Minnesota on that random Friday night game (Twins had a playoff game on that Saturday, I believe). I was still playing HS ball at that time, so I didn't get to see it live. That was a great night though....I notched two INT's that night (I played CB and WR), my first and only multi-INT game of my career. We beat the hell out of that team that night....on their Homecoming, no less.

Then, of course, the UM comeback lol.

He had it rough, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 8:01 pm

It was very weird watching a Michigan football game on a Friday night. As I recall, Minnesota actually asked us if we could play them Thursday night and we said, "hell no." Or at least Bill Martin said that. So the game was moved to Friday. We played Minnesota on a Friday night once before because of the Twins playoff schedule. That was in 1991 when Desmond Howard & Company crushed the Gophers 52-6. But that 03 game...sheesh. You definitely had that 'what the hell am I watching' feeling. I don't care to look up the actual stat but I think Minnesota rushed for 400 yards on us which was a school record in futility. I didn't have much hope for a win until the Jacob Stewart pick 6.

At last year's Minnesota game, they showed flashbacks of the 03 comeback on the new scoreboards and then Navarre was introduced and the crowd gave him a much appreciative ovation.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 8:03 pm

I only got to see the first half. I was on a pre-deployment work up on a ship, and we lost reception. Anyway, a lot of guys were giving me shit because they all knew I was a huge UM fan.

The next morning I have an e-mail from my wife saying "can you believe they won that game", so I was frantically trying to find out what happened. We had limited Internet so I couldn't google it, and we still didn't have tv reception so I emailed my wife back, but it took hours for her to receive it.

On a bright note, it is the first game my wife watched start to finish by herself, and it hooked her.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 10:31 pm

I remember timing Navare with a SUNDIAL on that trick play!!!

Swear it took him 45 seconds to run about 55 yards!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW EmptyMon May 07, 2012 10:41 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I only got to see the first half. I was on a pre-deployment work up on a ship, and we lost reception. Anyway, a lot of guys were giving me shit because they all knew I was a huge UM fan.

The next morning I have an e-mail from my wife saying "can you believe they won that game", so I was frantically trying to find out what happened. We had limited Internet so I couldn't google it, and we still didn't have tv reception so I emailed my wife back, but it took hours for her to receive it.

On a bright note, it is the first game my wife watched start to finish by herself, and it hooked her.

Now that's awesome, fish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW   Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW Empty

Back to top Go down

Nothing on TV, watching '04 Ohio/NW
Page 1 of 1