Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

More alternate uniforms.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

More alternate uniforms. Empty
PostSubject: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:27 am

I'm ok with it. This day and age, it is what sells, and the young men that play love it. Just please not the horrible one's they wore vs MSU. I really like the Sugar Bowl unis though.

They could add the Victors Valiant shirt under the Sugar Bowl uniforms. That would look good.

Also, I love the grey facemask. Takes me back to when I was a kid playing football. Our school colors were red and white, and my Sr year we changed to red facemasks, and I didn't like them.

Oh, and before any comments, I'm not as old as stjoemfan, I did have facemasks when I played. LOL.

http://annarbor.com/sports/um-football/more-alternate-uniforms-on-horizon-for-michigan-football-team-ad-says/?cmpid=mlive-@mlive-wolverines
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Facemasks?   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:12 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:

Oh, and before any comments, I'm not as old as stjoemfan, I did have facemasks when I played. LOL.

http://annarbor.com/sports/um-football/more-alternate-uniforms-on-horizon-for-michigan-football-team-ad-says/?cmpid=mlive-@mlive-wolverines

You young whippersnappers are lucky you got to wear HELMETS!!!

lol, I'm not QUITE that old. Talk to Michmike or FlaBluefan..... Hell, I think michmike was classmates with Harmon!!!!! lol

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:18 am

Yes I was--- the one known for his Hollywood looks! (Honest: Mark and I were both class of '73. Just at different schools, he of the light blue, me of the dark blue).

BTW---how much did our new fellow "board member" from Western Mass. pay you do goad me on, ahem, my relationship with Fr. Time???

You'd better hope to hell Canada Ed doesn't show up anytime soon, "kid".

And while we're at it---we're all rightfully happy Roses has joined us...but what about another all-time fav of us all? Whiteshoes, of course!
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:32 am

Shoes is a member. He doesn't come around a lot.

I think it's still kinda slow. As we get closer to the season this place should take off.

Bad news, Roses did all her "goading" on her own volition. Do you really think she needs my help? lol Cool

My wife and I were talking about Mark Harmon the other night. We were watching NCIS and just saying how great of an actor he is. And let's face it, the WOMEN LOVE HIM! We were sorta taking about an actor that both men AND women like.

And Canada Ed is also a member here but he's pretty busy these days with his wife.

Would like to see Char. Dj would be more than welcome. I have actually reached out to a couple of MSU fans I thought would appreciate non-bullshit but it's tough because I wouldn't want to come to a forum as the only fan of a team.

Lotsa stuff going on now so a lot of people aren't on forums.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:43 am

My dad played HS football before facemasks, and he said that his Sr year the center on the team broke his nose pretty good, so they fashioned a facemask for him in shop class. The team picture in his yearbook shows them all with helmets on, and this one guy with a goofy looking 2 metal bars across his face right about the bridge of his nose.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:50 am

I would have to ask my dad. He played high school in the early-mid 50's.

We laugh. He was a guard at 155 lbs. They had a great QB and a running back that was 175 lbs and no one in the area could tackle him. He was the modern day Earl Campbell. OF course they played both ways. He told be they had just about 20 kids on the team.

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:05 am

Schembechler's troops traveled out west in 1972 to play UCLA led by QB Mark Harmon. Mike told me the story a few years back that the Michigan defense sacked Harmon on his second offensive play and knocked him out of the game with a....shoulder injury? We went on to win 26-9. Mike knows the story better than I do since he was, you know, alive to hear it on the radio.

As for more alternate uniforms? No, no, no, no, NO, NO, NOOO!!! A million times no.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:08 am

OK, I got the old geezer to remember his playing days! lol (his mind is like a steel trap!

He said his high school was pretty poor. The coach would scrounge and use all the samples and handouts he could get from any manufacturer.

So some wore leather and some wore plastic. There were no facemasks except for kids with glasses. (contacts were a pipedream) He wore a leather helmet until he was a senior and then got a plastic one. Basically Seniors and other players that "needed" them got the plastic and others played in leather.

He also said the numbering system as it is today was not in play. Whatever number fit you was what you wore. So they had #16s playing center and #96s playing running back. lol

The community today is not a real affluent one so I can just imagine what it was back in the 50's.

It was also nice listening to Dad remember his high school days. He's 74 and in excellent health but some day I won't have him.

He told me he had a broken nose. Old Doc Warren came outta the stands and kinda mashed it back into place and stffed some cotton up there and away he went. He was playing in a freezing rain in St Joe one night. (The stadium is RIGHT on Lake Michigan) He got hit in the mouth and it was so numb he thought he had lost all of his teeth.

And concussions? WOW. He said one kid came out and went right back in. Monday morning in class he still couldn't remember any of the game or most of the weekend either.

Anyway, this Middle-ager is done rambling.

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:28 am

WolverineHistorian wrote:
Mike knows the story better than I do since he was, you know, alive to hear it on the radio.

It's OK, the underhanded/indirect "jab", WH, because that was one wonderful period for yours truly: junior year at U-M, living in Apt. 6-K of University Towers (yes, the one right below the room which, a few years later, would be inhabited by another U-M undergrad named...Madonna).

Anyway, it was not a shoulder injury that sidelined the future Hollywood superstar on that play: but rather,
a whack on the head by a player's knee (might even have been his own teammate's) that left M.H. on the
bench with blurred vision and a nasty headache the rest of that game. I so much liked his performance in
ending Nebraska's two-year reign at the top two weeks earlier, and of course his heritage, that I felt
sorry for Mark. But truth be told, his absence didn't affect the outcome that much: Bo's meat-grinder,
led by Ed Shuttlesworth, that day averaged like 5 yards per whack; the Bruins' weak defense could do nothing to stop it. Denny Franklin threw maybe five passes all day; they weren't needed. Our ball-control would
have kept M.H. on the bench almost as much as did that unfortunate smack on the noggin. And as we all know, there's no better defense against ANY offense than your own "O" staying on the field.
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:00 am

michmike wrote:
WolverineHistorian wrote:
Mike knows the story better than I do since he was, you know, alive to hear it on the radio.

It's OK, the underhanded/indirect "jab", WH, because that was one wonderful period for yours truly: junior year at U-M, living in Apt. 6-K of University Towers (yes, the one right below the room which, a few years later, would be inhabited by another U-M undergrad named...Madonna).

Anyway, it was not a shoulder injury that sidelined the future Hollywood superstar on that play: but rather,
a whack on the head by a player's knee (might even have been his own teammate's) that left M.H. on the
bench with blurred vision and a nasty headache the rest of that game. I so much liked his performance in
ending Nebraska's two-year reign at the top two weeks earlier, and of course his heritage, that I felt
sorry for Mark. But truth be told, his absence didn't affect the outcome that much: Bo's meat-grinder,
led by Ed Shuttlesworth, that day averaged like 5 yards per whack; the Bruins' weak defense could do nothing to stop it. Denny Franklin threw maybe five passes all day; they weren't needed. Our ball-control would
have kept M.H. on the bench almost as much as did that unfortunate smack on the noggin. And as we all know, there's no better defense against ANY offense than your own "O" staying on the field.

Great story, not so much for Mark. There is really nothing about this game available to research. It was never televised and I have never been able to find a single article about it in any news archive. The Mark Harmon angle definitely adds intrigue about it today. But the only way to know anything about the game is talk to people who remember it personally. Some historian, huh?

Anyway, back to the original topic on uniforms, I actually wouldn't complain if they did a throwback game to the mid-70's all white road uniforms that lasted about 3 seasons...

More alternate uniforms. Leach1

...just as long as those stripes going down the shoulders ala last year's MSU game never come back.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:09 am

Gawd I hated those.

We deserved every ounce of ridicule after that day.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 11:03 am

OMG I had forgotten all about the whites....

it was a little before my time (although I think WH is fairly young himself, so I guess I have no excuse. Although, his name is HISTORIAN. lol)

Remember two seasons ago when a rumor of us wearing all whites had picked up a lot of momentum heading into a particular game (I can't remember which one....may have been at Illinois actually).

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 11:23 am

I like the stripes on the pants too.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:15 pm

I like all whites. I lke Blue. I like Maize.

Just not crazy about the stripes.

I'm an old fuddy duddy when it comes to the uni's.

PostSubject: Re: More alternate uniforms.   More alternate uniforms. Empty

Back to top Go down

More alternate uniforms.
Page 1 of 1