Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1998 Michigan vs. Penn State

Go down 
+2
ThatGuy
WolverineHistorian
6 posters
AuthorMessage
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

1998 Michigan vs. Penn State Empty
PostSubject: 1998 Michigan vs. Penn State   1998 Michigan vs. Penn State EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Given the saga at Penn State, I thought some might find these vids interesting since this is the year JoePa's wins start being vacated. This is just a few months removed from the 1998 investigation against Jerry Sandusky.

This Big Ten Ticket episode previews the 98 contest. The most interesting part is the "Chalk Talk" where Bo interviews Joe Paterno.

Highlights of the game. I figured this would be especially satisfying to watch now since we kick Paterno and Sandusky's squad all over the field.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Michigan vs. Penn State   1998 Michigan vs. Penn State EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Question, since we beat Pedd U. 8 straight times in the period that Pedd State is vacating all of their victories, do those losses become multiplied and therefore give us 2 victories for every win? Ok, that wasn't really serious but I'm just searching for something...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Michigan vs. Penn State   1998 Michigan vs. Penn State EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 7:59 am

WH---the thing that sticks longest in my mind regarding that game (M 27 PSU 0 1998) is the following summer's PSU alumni newsletter (late dad-in-law was a PSU alum). Whilst the media was propping up Levarr Arrington as the second coming at linebacker, PSU fans, stinging from that 61-8 combo score vs. us, were expressing their befuddlement. "Last I recall, at Michigan, I saw him being picked up on every blitz," wrote one PSU fan.

And the biggest "culprit" would have been our ultra-underrated fullback/tight end, Aaron Shea. He was no urchin, at 6-5 and 250...but he really stuck it to Arrington. As well as catching the pass for the first score.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Michigan vs. Penn State   1998 Michigan vs. Penn State EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 am

We made Arrington look human those years, no doubt. And I think he was knocked out of the '99 game by our fullback?

That '99 game was awesome. That game defined Tom Brady's Michigan career in my opinion. Down multiple scores late in the 4th quarter. He even took a delay of game penalty on the second-to-last drive just to conserve a timeout.

The kid grew up in front of our eyes that day, imho.

A superbowl MVP was born that day.

cheers

eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Michigan vs. Penn State   1998 Michigan vs. Penn State EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Admin wrote:
We made Arrington look human those years, no doubt. And I think he was knocked out of the '99 game by our fullback?

That '99 game was awesome. That game defined Tom Brady's Michigan career in my opinion. Down multiple scores late in the 4th quarter. He even took a delay of game penalty on the second-to-last drive just to conserve a timeout.

cheers

The '99 game was also the same game where ABC was making it a big deal of it being Sanduskey's last home game at Penn St as a defensive coordinator, making the comeback victory over them all the more sweet.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Michigan vs. Penn State   1998 Michigan vs. Penn State EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:53 pm

eGrandpa wrote:
Admin wrote:

cheers

The '99 game was also the same game where ABC was making it a big deal of it being Sanduskey's last home game at Penn St as a defensive coordinator, making the comeback victory over them all the more sweet.

EXACTLY. Sandusky's face immediately after that game, as he began walking across the field to shake the Michigan coaches' hands, disgust was written all over his face.

Sorry 'bout ya, Jer-bear.

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Michigan vs. Penn State   1998 Michigan vs. Penn State EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:36 pm

I was at that '99 game.

One of the best games I've ever been to.

Fans were split about 50/50 in my section and each time one of the teams scored there'd be good natured cheering back and forth.

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Michigan vs. Penn State   1998 Michigan vs. Penn State Empty

Back to top Go down

1998 Michigan vs. Penn State
Page 1 of 1