Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dave Brandon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm

I've taken some issue with a couple of his tactics during his short tenure (the jerseys, his twitter marketing stunt during the spring game, scheduling Bama, etc.), but all in all, I've been very impressed with him.

Today, I'm even more impressed:

"Athletics is really important," Brandon said at the Weisfeld Family Golf Center, "but it's not the most important thing that happens on this campus. We're a little not-for-profit auxiliary unit of the University of Michigan. This is a $6 billion institution with tens of thousands of faculty members and discoveries are being made every day that change the world here.

"Yeah, we play football, we play basketball, we have rabid fans who enjoy that. … We're pleased we've got people that really love it and are passionate about what we do. But if we ever get to the point where we think it's more important than the real important things that take place on a college campus, we have lost our way."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120725/SPORTS0203/207250333#ixzz21fFqN0tF

Amen, brother. Amen.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Thus lies what I've always said. We don't recruit thugs just to win, sure a few bad apples find their way in but are quickly dismissed. A Michigan Man is more than just an athlete or Football fan.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:43 am

Admin wrote:
I've taken some issue with a couple of his tactics during his short tenure (the jerseys, his twitter marketing stunt during the spring game, scheduling Bama, etc.), but all in all, I've been very impressed with him.

Can you explain what you mean about Bama and the twitter marketing stunt?
Back to top Go down
MichiganFootball13

MichiganFootball13

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:12 am

Putting hash tags on the field was pretty stupid but scheduling bama i think was smart. If Michigan can keep the game close or even win, this will show the nation and most importantly recruits that Michigan football is back and again able to compete with the "big boys".
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 am

He meant the hash-tag on the field...

Come on McFly, keep up....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 am

WillieMfan wrote:
Admin wrote:

I don't like having Alabama on the schedule, whatsoever, let alone the first game of the season. Anything less than a 'perfect' performance on Sept. 2nd will result in a loss, starting us out 0-1, with pretty much no shot at a NC. I don't know about you, but that's my goal every year, to win a NC. And as unfortunate as it is, the SEC has shown how to do that over the years: schedule some cupcakes during the non-conf, scrap and claw through your way through the conference, get to the big game and win it. Now, we'll never have a complete cupcake non-conf, because we'll (almost) always have ND on the schedule. To me, that game is big enough to whet our non-conf appetites year-in and year-out.

As for the marketing stunt I'm referring to, I'm talking about the "#goblue" on the field during the Spring Game. Obviously it wasn't that big of a deal because it was only the spring game...but I still didn't like it at all. And it makes you worry about a slippery slope effect. DB had the balls to do it, spring game or not. How ballsy will he be in a few more years when he's even that much more comfortable?

Anyway, as I said in the original post, I've definitely taken some issue with a couple of his moves, but all in all I think he was an EXCELLENT hire and I'm glad he's on our side.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:43 am

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
He meant the hash-tag on the field...

Come on McFly, keep up....

Sorry I try to not assume anything it keeps me from going on tangents completely unrelated to the OP's point and looking like an idiot. Perhaps you should take notes.

Admin wrote:
WillieMfan wrote:
Admin wrote:

I don't like having Alabama on the schedule, whatsoever, let alone the first game of the season. Anything less than a 'perfect' performance on Sept. 2nd will result in a loss, starting us out 0-1, with pretty much no shot at a NC. I don't know about you, but that's my goal every year, to win a NC. And as unfortunate as it is, the SEC has shown how to do that over the years: schedule some cupcakes during the non-conf, scrap and claw through your way through the conference, get to the big game and win it. Now, we'll never have a complete cupcake non-conf, because we'll (almost) always have ND on the schedule. To me, that game is big enough to whet our non-conf appetites year-in and year-out.

As for the marketing stunt I'm referring to, I'm talking about the "#goblue" on the field during the Spring Game. Obviously it wasn't that big of a deal because it was only the spring game...but I still didn't like it at all. And it makes you worry about a slippery slope effect. DB had the balls to do it, spring game or not. How ballsy will he be in a few more years when he's even that much more comfortable?

Anyway, as I said in the original post, I've definitely taken some issue with a couple of his moves, but all in all I think he was an EXCELLENT hire and I'm glad he's on our side.

The hashtag seems so minor but I guess you are right about the slippery slope. My preference would be to not see it on the field for a normal game but I really do not have that strong of feelings for or against. One thing is for sure with sponsor patches coming to a professional team near you the Hashtag seems less serious. Brace yourself for what the future is bringing.

As for Bama I get the fear of losing mind set but I guess I choose to think of what happens if we win. I also find myself even more excited than ever for the opening game. It is one thing for football to start and see Michigan matched up with Western Michigan but to open the season against Bama in Cowboy's stadium seems so much more exciting. Win or lose I think the Bama game really helps us this season.

Let's face it Brandon will not make the masses happy all of the time. I am still not happy with him dangling the carrot of night games. Last year was an amazing experience; one he should try to deliver us every year. MSU would have been great at night.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Admin wrote:
I don't like having Alabama on the schedule, whatsoever, let alone the first game of the season. Anything less than a 'perfect' performance on Sept. 2nd will result in a loss, starting us out 0-1, with pretty much no shot at a NC.

Game is on the first big-guy... Wink
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 pm

I worry about the slippery slope thing too but I don't hate Brandon. I hate all those stupid uniforms he's made the team wear including the "legacy" ones for UTL. I'd complain more about that but I get the feeling it would be a losing battle.

When the Alabama game was scheduled, I was very angry because we were at the lowest point in Michigan football history and I didn't think 2 years would be enough to get back on track.

And while there are some good things to take from this game like preparation for the rest of the season with a brutal road schedule, it's still hard for me to get completely excited when we're going up against Nick Saban, a guy who can pay his players and oversign to his heart's content down in "ethical" SEC country to field one of the best teams in the nation. You're not going to have much luck against a team like that.

What were we talking about again?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Great points about Bama. You are right about the brutal schedule as well. Now I am sad. Sad
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:44 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
Great points about Bama. You are right about the brutal schedule as well. Now I am sad. Sad

Awwwwwww buuudddddyyyyyy. Sad

Hey, a win on Sept. 1st will change everyone's thoughts on this (at least mine and WH's thoughts).
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:33 pm

Admin wrote:
Hey, a win on Sept. 1st will change everyone's thoughts on this (at least mine and WH's thoughts).

That'a boy! I knew that you'd get the date right eventually. Stick with me kid, you won't miss a game that way.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:54 am

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Admin wrote:

That'a boy! I knew that you'd get the date right eventually. Stick with me kid, you won't miss a game that way.

Hahahaha, fair enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dave Brandon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Brandon   Dave Brandon Empty

Back to top Go down

Dave Brandon
Page 1 of 1