Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Go_Blue

Go_Blue

This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"  Empty
PostSubject: This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"    This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"  EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 6:44 pm

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs
Back to top Go down
michmike

This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"    This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"  EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 8:18 pm

It sure as hell is a telling mouthful of a read, GoBlue!!

What stuck in my mind the most was this cut-and-pasted passage, which appeared relatively early-on in the missive:

In his seminal work, The Burden of Southern History, historian C. Vann Woodward wrote: "The South has had its full share of illusions, fantasies, and pretensions, and it has continued to cling to some of them with an astonishing tenacity that defies explanation."

How very true. The nation's soft underbelly (forgive me, Sir Winston)---as a take-off on the "left-coast" sobriquet attached to the West Coast---continues to cling to some of the most antiquated and disgusting mores to this very day. And with an almost self-hypnotic tenacity that indeed defies explanation---at least to a non-Southerner.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"    This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"  EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Wow...excellent read.

Agree with most of it. Some of the intense scrutiny of ESPN's motives and influence of polls, etc., I think is a bit much. I understand what he's saying, I just don't know if I completely agree with it.

And not that he doesn't say this somewhat, but in the end, all the major conferences have had a chance to knock off the SEC in the last 6 years, and no one has done it. That alters the reality and makes the SEC look like the clear-cut supreme conference. Obviously from the numbers listed in the article, they simply are not. But in today's game, for the most part, conferences are judged by the top dogs it in, not from top to bottom.

Anyway...thanks for posting the article. I really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"    This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"  Empty

Back to top Go down

This is a pretty interesting read about the SEC and it's so called "dominance"
Page 1 of 1