Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So last year UM only won 11 games

Go down 
+5
michmike
BetterThansparty
WhatsYourDeal
Admin
fishgoblue22
9 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

So last year UM only won 11 games  Empty
PostSubject: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Because they had 8 home games. Now this year they lead the B1G and they aren't good because they only beat MSU by 2.

WTF, some people just can't enjoy the season for hat it is. Reminds me of all the Tigers fans that bitched all year long about how bad they are, then next thing you know, they are in the World Series. Enjoy the season, it goes by fast. Maybe when it's over the UM men could be B1G champs.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 5:26 pm

It's essentially impossible to judge a season until it's over.

We were all pretty down last year after the MSU and Iowa games. Then we win the Sugar and we ALL considered last season a success, I would venture guess.

WhatsYourDeal

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 5:28 pm

ha there were a lot of people bitching about the Tigers in the other forum...i cant stand "fans" like that..now they are "die hard" tigers fans.

many Ohlieo fans are really annoying me these days w/their little fire fickell movement...its so pathetic.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Every fanbase has its share of idiots, unfortunately.

And depending who you ask, we could all be classified in that group! Haha

WhatsYourDeal

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 6:03 pm

ha very good point.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Admin wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I have my moments because I live to call people-out.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 8:31 am

Admin wrote:

Ahem, Admin...I can name you one among us who would definitiely be classified in that group...
at least he would according to Mrs. michmike...(and his daughter as well).
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:34 am

I understand where you are coming from Fish. Sadly I guess I am one of those that is luke warm on the win. Let me first say. I will take the win!!! I am glad that monkey is off of our back.

That said I was expecting a more decisive victory. Not because I am a lunatic fan that thinks we should blow out every team or for no good reason. MSU has not been a good team this year and their 4-4 (1-3 B1G) record should be the first indication of that. Maxwell has struggled mightily this year and yet against us he complete just shy of 62% of his passes. On the season he is at 55%. I credit MSU defense but yet I am still disappointed we could not get it in the end zone. We put up the third least points against them behind Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan. Notre Dame and their mighty 77th ranked scoring offense put up 20. Iowa and their 103rd ranked scoring offense put up 19.

All this and the game was in AA which should help things some shouldn't it? I am not trying to be Debbie Downer here but I feel like it was a mediocre performance. Our run defense and kicking game were the bright spots. I know, I know a win is a win and I agree. However, the OP asked why can't people just enjoy things for what they are. My answer is people are enjoying them but are tempering that enjoyment due to the fact that it was not that strong of a performance. We can still be fans and realists at the same time.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 am

Look at the history of the rivalry. It is rarely a one sided game. UM did what it had to to win. That's good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 am

Tell you what WIllie,

If MSU had played against ND and Iowa and OSU as hard as they played against us they probably would have won.

It's just something that is unmeasurable.

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 am

Even with all the rivalry stuff, it is still kind of incredible that State plays so much better against us. This game just means EVERYTHING to them, especially Dantonio. I just feel like Dantonio built his whole program from day one on the foundation of being able to beat us, above all else. There is no doubt in my mind that they lost to an awful Iowa team at home because they were focused on facing us a week later.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:23 am

I agree jj.

In many years MSU goes into the toilet after playing us.

We ARE their SEASON.

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 am

I think people overestimate the power of rivalries a lot of times. There have been far too many games against OSU recently where the outcome was totally one sided. What happened they weren't playing hard?

Anyone see the score of the Red River Shootout? Hell the two teams were ranked 13 and 15 at the time. When your outmatched, your outmatched. Texas was crushed by a better team. Michigan IMO is a much better team comparatively than MSU this year. Yet it was not reflected in the score.

I think MSU-ND is a rivalry game and yet ND's offense which is 23 places behind us put up more points.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 am

Yep, I agree with both jj and stjoe. MSU has a one game season, always has. Even the 2007 "little brother game". UM was clearly the better team, but was pushed to the brink. 2006 3OT game. Again, UM was the better team but MSU came to play.

The last four years, MSU was the better team, but still no BCS games.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:34 am

jjabilene wrote:
Even with all the rivalry stuff, it is still kind of incredible that State plays so much better against us. This game just means EVERYTHING to them, especially Dantonio. I just feel like Dantonio built his whole program from day one on the foundation of being able to beat us, above all else. There is no doubt in my mind that they lost to an awful Iowa team at home because they were focused on facing us a week later.

I don't know if he places everything on this game. I really think that would be a recipe for becoming unemployed. I know as rival fans we want to believe these types of things. Certainly the Michigan game is big to them as it is for us. I however, am gaining respect for Dantonio as a football coach. I hate to say that and I did just throw in my mouth a bit. I absolutely do not like him as a person or his demeanor or a lot of other things about him. That said the guy has balls. He was hired in and made it a point to put an end to Michigan's dominance and then went out and did it for the next 4 years. He faked a punt from his own 20 and they did not show fear to throw the ball in a hostile environment with a new QB that has had a tendency to make some bad decisions. They certainly came in AA and played like they had nothing to lose.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:35 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:

Please tell me that you at least recognize the fact that they had a pretty good argument to go to a BCS game last year. Can you admit that much?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:42 am

Let's see how Dantonio is as a coach if Narduzzi leaves for a HC job. The offense has suffered since Treadwell left. Dantonio has had those two since his days at Cincy. I can't believe Narduzzi hasn't gotten a HC job yet.

Last edited by fishgoblue22 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 am

WillieMfan wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

Please tell me that you at least recognize the fact that they had a pretty good argument to go to a BCS game last year. Can you admit that much?

Yes, but with 3 losses it wasn't going to happen. Penalized for making the title game.
Back to top Go down
jjabilene

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 am

WillieMfan wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

lol, poor Sparty. The year they change the Big Ten to divisions is the year they would have finally went to the Rose Bowl under the old format. Ouch.
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:51 am

WillieMfan wrote:
I understand where you are coming from Fish. Sadly I guess I am one of those that is luke warm on the win. Let me first say. I will take the win!!! I am glad that monkey is off of our back.

That said I was expecting a more decisive victory. Not because I am a lunatic fan that thinks we should blow out every team or for no good reason. MSU has not been a good team this year and their 4-4 (1-3 B1G) record should be the first indication of that. Maxwell has struggled mightily this year and yet against us he complete just shy of 62% of his passes. On the season he is at 55%. I credit MSU defense but yet I am still disappointed we could not get it in the end zone. We put up the third least points against them behind Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan. Notre Dame and their mighty 77th ranked scoring offense put up 20. Iowa and their 103rd ranked scoring offense put up 19.

All this and the game was in AA which should help things some shouldn't it? I am not trying to be Debbie Downer here but I feel like it was a mediocre performance. Our run defense and kicking game were the bright spots. I know, I know a win is a win and I agree. However, the OP asked why can't people just enjoy things for what they are. My answer is people are enjoying them but are tempering that enjoyment due to the fact that it was not that strong of a performance. We can still be fans and realists at the same time.

You sound like me about a decade ago. When we played MSU at the Big House in 2000, I remember being happy that we won but I told my dad I was a little disappointed that we "only" won 14-0. We had Drew Henson, Anthony Thomas, David Terrell, Marquise Walker and one of the best offensive lines in nation. How could we only put up 14 on a shitty MSU team? My dad rolled his eyes at me and said, "Don't get greedy. A win is all that matters." And he was right.

I've watched enough football over the years to see how teams get up and play their best games against Michigan then fall back to their normal selves the following week. That was going on long before the RichRod years. Sure, I was annoyed that MSU's receivers, who couldn't catch a cold all year, suddenly made circus catches against us but it's going to happen in a rivalry game. We are MSU's entire season and this year, they were more desperate than usual after getting off to their bad start. Of course they were going to play us tougher than they would against Notre Dame at night. And don't give Iowa too much credit for those 19 points they scored. It took them 2 overtimes to reach that number.

Despite MSU's many flaws, their defense is the real deal. It's the perfect defense to stop a mobile quarterback like Denard, just like when they held Braxton Miller to 17 points. Combine that with a wide open drop for us in the end zone, a Devin Gardner drop at the 10 that started off as a spectacular catch and some very conservative play calling and you have your answer for few points scored.

This program is still in transition mode with many small RichRod players we have to graduate. Right now especially is the time to just take any win and be happy with it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:54 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:

Yes.

FTFY

[quote="jjabilene"]
WillieMfan wrote:

lol, poor Sparty. The year they change the Big Ten to divisions is the year they would have finally went to the Rose Bowl under the old format. Ouch.

This is the problem with fan boards I suppose. It's hard to have intelligent discussions because people are so hopped up on their fandom that they can not be objective. I post stats to to support what I am saying while others post opinion which is of course biased and rhetoric. I do realize stats are not the end all be all but they do tell a story and they are far more objective then fanatical opinions. That said I guess you can't beat good ol' playing hard.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 am

What does FTFY mean?
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 am

WH- Thanks for your post. I can appreciate your knack for giving credence to one persons view point even though the next 4 paragraphs you are telling me you disagree with me. LOL Seriously though that's an art.

I think you make some great points. One or two dropped balls and the outcome could have been different. That really is a shame because this discussion would not even be taking place had those plays turned out differently.

Another thing you touched on is wr's playing well above what they had shown previous to last Saturday. This seems to coincide with Joe's earlier comment. Why is it that MSU seemed to be able to do this, while Michigan IMO opinion was fairly average. Dileo is probably the only one on offense that I would say played good, if not a great game. DR and Fitz I think is safe to say did not have their best games. Not even close. So why is it that other teams seem to have these "gamers' (for lack of a better term) that seem to rise above their normal play but we seemingly do not have that?

After 4 years of losing to MSU I guess I just expected to see a team that was hungry and pissed. We should have been even more motivated than they were.

Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 am

Fixed that for you.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:14 am

Didn't think it needed to be fixed. LOL.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:21 am

Well the answer is yes. I realize they were screwed on a technicality but to say they have not played in a BCS game is not totally fair. It's true but it's not really their fault. If the situation was reversed I am certain we would be pissed and crying foul as well.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:32 am

WillieMfan wrote:
Well the answer is yes. I realize they were screwed on a technicality but to say they have not played in a BCS game is not totally fair. It's true but it's not really their fault. If the situation was reversed I am certain we would be pissed and crying foul as well.

How is it unfair? Have they played in a BCS game? All I said was No BCS games. If they had finished with 1 loss, then lost the B1G Champ game to give them a 2nd loss, they still might not have been picked ahead of a 2 loss UM team. Other than 1 vs. 2, the rest of the bowls are about selling tickets and making money. UM travels, MSU doesn't. UM will have tv turned on, MSU won't.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 12:32 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
WillieMfan wrote:

How is it unfair? Have they played in a BCS game? All I said was No BCS games. If they had finished with 1 loss, then lost the B1G Champ game to give them a 2nd loss, they still might not have been picked ahead of a 2 loss UM team. Other than 1 vs. 2, the rest of the bowls are about selling tickets and making money. UM travels, MSU doesn't. UM will have tv turned on, MSU won't.

Personally I find it hard to discredit them for not making a BCS bowl last year when they beat us head to head. You said it yourself they were penalized for playing in the B1G championship and losing. To me that's not right but that's just me. I wonder what your feelings towards this would be if it were Michigan that got screwed.

You're right though the bowl games are about the $$$$.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm

When did I ever discredit them? I never said a bad thing about MSU in my posts. I was just laying out the facts as I see them.

Should they have been in a BCS game last year? Probably, but with 3 losses it wasn't going to happen.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:22 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
...still no BCS games.

And trust me, I remind every sparty that I know of the fact that they still haven't been to a BCS game ever. I had one try to argue with me this summer saying that the Cap. One Bowl was but that just shows their obvious idiocy...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So last year UM only won 11 games    So last year UM only won 11 games  Empty

Back to top Go down

So last year UM only won 11 games
Page 1 of 1