Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had Empty
PostSubject: Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had   Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:37 pm

coming into the game, but they sure didn't get to Devin. He had all kinds of time to throw. NU did a great job in coverage, but they never really got to DG. The O-line seems a lot better a pass blocking than run blocking. Also, I noticed on Fitz's one long run, it came on a read option. I think his game is more suited that that type of run.

On another note, during Fitz's long run, I yelled at the TV for him to look out from behind and hold the ball, but I guess he didn't listen.
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had   Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 1:07 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
coming into the game, but they sure didn't get to Devin. He had all kinds of time to throw. NU did a great job in coverage, but they never really got to DG. The O-line seems a lot better a pass blocking than run blocking. Also, I noticed on Fitz's one long run, it came on a read option. I think his game is more suited that that type of run.

On another note, during Fitz's long run, I yelled at the TV for him to look out from behind and hold the ball, but I guess he didn't listen.

I am not sure why he didn't hear you, Fish. I heard you and I am in Alabama (not by choice!)!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had   Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 pm

The offensive line has been beyond frustrating this year. I have no idea why they have been so bad. Not just my opinion, but Hoke has been critical of them as well on several occasions.

You make interesting points about the pass protection. I tend to think they were just trying to contain DG in the pocket because they know he can be dangerous in the open field. I base this off of the fact that we have been running primarily a read option offense for the last 4 years. You would think our line would be better at run blocking vs. pass protect. As bad as they have been at run blocking it is hard to imagine they some how are pretty good at pass protection. I know they have not given up many sacks but again I attribute that to having a mobile QB.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had   Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Unrelated to the OL play (or lack of it), but one thing that probably went unnoticed by many, which stood out for me...relating to Devin Gardner the experienced leader.

Three times NW jumped offsides prior to the snap. And on all three, Devin recognized it, knew he had a freebie, and went for the home run, scrapping the called play. Only worked once (we got a PI flag), but it showed alertness and snap-judgment. Couple that with his powerful arm, good mobility (though not Denard's pure straight-ahead speed), and the-team-the-team attitude, and I'm feeling better all the time about 2013.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had   Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Agree Mike. I hate to see guys waste those plays. He will connect on one of them eventually.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had   Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Did one of those against Minnesota last week too.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had   Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 am

And, WMF and Fish---one thing I definitely should add, for clarification, regarding my/our bright hopes for '13: let's hope (I know I do) the coaching staff moves him back to QB, full-time, now!

I simply don't have a warm-n-fuzzy about turning the job over to an incoming freshman who missed his senior HS season due to mono (from the effects of which he could still be recovering by next spring)...no matter how honey-sweet his press clippings or star-rating. As for the alternative, I'll defer to you on Bellomy, since (1) I didn't see the Nebraska game, and (2) poor---or promising---as he may be, he hasn't been given the opportunity to prove either (one game, coming in cold off the bench, doesn't count for much in my book).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had   Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had Empty

Back to top Go down

Not sure how great a pass rush Northwestern had
Page 1 of 1