Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

$$$$

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Michigan second behind Texas in revenue and profitability.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=playbookdollars&id=2556
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 9:19 pm

The article didn't say but do you happen to know Michigan's generated revenue? Just curious.

WillieMfan

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Sorry it was a mobile version that apparently get cut off on a regular computer.

Here you go:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2556/texas-tops-in-football-profit-revenue
Back to top Go down
michmike

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 9:13 am

WillieMfan wrote:
Sorry it was a mobile version that apparently get cut off on a regular computer.

Here you go:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2556/texas-tops-in-football-profit-revenue

Thanks, Will. Intriguing, to say the least. What caught me first was that Texas' revenue total was far and away on top...exceeding our own by fully 20%. I mean, sheesh, not even close. No surprise at all that PSU fell way down...the reasons probably not including any precipitous drop in ticket sales, but rather, in sponsorships, sales (to non-PSU alums) in clothing, etc. due to their badly-sullied rap.

What the article failed to mention, after the not-at-all-astounding assertion that Alabama (king of the SEC)
had the highest expenditure, was all the reasons for that fact: they cited only Saban's megabuck salary.
(What about those of the players, and recruits, factored in as well?)
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 10:26 am

When I saw the topic title, I assumed the subject was going to be ohio recruiting!
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 10:35 am

Nice. I have to admit when i read the article the first thing that came to mind was we should be able to afford some tattoos and cars.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 1:49 pm

michmike wrote:
...What caught me first was that Texas' revenue total was far and away on top...exceeding our own by fully 20%. I mean, sheesh, not even close...

I'd bet my next paycheck that the longhorn network is the reason why although from what I could tell the article failed to point that out.

Admin
Admin

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Michigan is also 2nd in the Director's Cup right now....and that doesn't include volleyball yet.

WillieMfan

WillieMfan

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:14 pm

I am looking to get this conversation to evolve a bit. Bare with me a second as I explain. By now most of you have read that Michigan football is second in the country in revenue AND profit. To make it easier I will copy and paste the numbers we are talking about:

School Rev. Exp. Profit
Texas $103.8 $25.9 $77.9
Michigan $85.2 $23.6 $61.6
Georgia $75.0 $22.7 $52.3
Florida $74.1 $23.1 $51.1
Alabama $82.0 $36.9 $45.1
LSU $68.8 $24.1 $44.8
Auburn $77.2 $33.3 $43.8
Notre $69.0 $25.8 $43.2
Arkansas $64.2 $24.3 $39.9
Nebraska $55.1 $18.7 $36.4

So Michigan's expenses are $23.6 million (Which is the third lowest of anyone on the chart) and in return they bring in $85.2 million in revenue, which leaves them with a PROFIT of $61.6 million. This money comes from ticket sales, licensing deals, merchandising etc.

I think it is safe to say every Michigan fan on this forum has contributed to the universities revenue.

I bring all this up for further debate on what a monster sports has become. It's big business and it is getting bigger every year. What's point? I think as prices go up for everything expectations follow. I do not think that teams (college or pro) realize what they are creating. The stakes go up when you are talking this kind of money. If you want to bring in $61 million in profits, then you better put a premium product on the field. I do not think we as fans are out of order having high expectations for a team with the resources that Michigan has.

I have never heard anyone on this forum or any other complain about ticket prices. Our prices are about double that of teams like Purdue, IU, Northestern, etc. Hell you can go watch the Toledo Rockets play for $5. Before you knock the Rockets know that they were 9-3 this year under their first year head coach. That's pretty good value.

I think for the most part any of us would pay whatever the price is to support a winning team. I know I paid over $200 to go see ND-Michigan in 2011 and probably will again in 2013. pale I don't mind it if the product is a good one. BUT-If the team falls short of expectations you bet we have every right to be upset. This is the monster that is being created in all sports.

So where is this all coming from? It appears being the second most profitable is not enough. Prices are going up again. Bend over and take it boys!!

http://johnubacon.com/2012/12/tradition-for-fun-but-mostly-profit/

How much is enough?
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Speaking of big business. Schools spent over $50 million in buyouts so they have the right to fire their coach.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/10/college-football-coaching-buyout-payments/1759507/

Welcome to the age of win or find another job. Agree or disagree it is what it is. Coaches are making millions. We are not talking about the minimum wage burger flipper here. Big boys making big dollars.
Back to top Go down
michmike

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:24 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
Welcome to the age of win or find another job.

"Welcome"??? Like it's anything new???

Hell, as "recently" as the 1940's, ND coach Frank Leahy uttered his line:
"Losing a game or two or good for the soul. Losing a lot of games is
bad for the coach."
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Mike-I still feel like you and me and probably a few other know this BUT we are in the minority. Most are of the mind set that coaches need 4 or 5 years. "Got to give them time." They need guys to fit thier system. Etc. Meanwhile "we" as fans are dumping tens of millions of dollars into the coffers waiting for the product to reflect the cost of admission.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 8:29 am

http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2012/business-of-college-football.html?utm_campaign=forbestwittersf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/12/19/michigan-is-worth-almost-twice-as-much-as-ohio-state-in-forbes-most-valuable-college-football-rankings-texas-still-no-1/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

$$$$ Empty
PostSubject: Re: $$$$   $$$$ Empty

Back to top Go down

$$$$
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL FORUM-
Jump to: