Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

good news but maybe not?

Go down 
+2
hailtoyourvictor
bluebult56
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bluebult56

good news but maybe not? Empty
PostSubject: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 pm

looks like grob is moving up the nba ladder. do we lose him and burke or does he come back?

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/01/glenn_robinson_iii_shoots_up_e.html#incart_more_sports
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 4:53 pm

I think we lose Burke and Hardaway for sure. Them two are playing at their ceilings (very high ceilings) and I can't imagine their stock being worth any more than it will be this year.

GRob is a coin flip. He will be a better NBA player than both Burke and Hardaway. Scouts know that. He has an NBA frame and an NBA game (rhymes!). Hopefully he has the desire to come back and use his go-to-guy status to play his way into a lottery pick.

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 5:15 pm

GROB should be back. One year with him as the star on the team could mean huge dividends for him and I think he knows that. Also, he's not pressed to get into the league for the money aspect so that helps a lot too.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:03 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
GROB should be back. One year with him as the star on the team could mean huge dividends for him and I think he knows that. Also, he's not pressed to get into the league for the money aspect so that helps a lot too.

Based on...?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Based on...?

He grew up with money. His daddy made millions in the NBA over a 10 year career. He's not the typical kid from the ghetto story that has a family to support.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't disagree with you there, but to assume that because those things are true means his isn't pressed for money is something neither of us know. I read something somewhere that said Glen Robinson JR. had only been to 3 of GR3's High School games and none of his college games. I can't find any articles confirming that, but we see Tim Hardaway SR on camera all the time, so you figure they would show GRII if he was at a game.

This might all be speculation, but to assume that the kid:
1. Has a good relationship with his father
2. Is set financially because of his father

is probably something we shouldn't do.

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 10:36 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
...I don't disagree with you there, but to assume that because those things are true means his isn't pressed for money is something neither of us know...

you're right. I have no inside knowledge and I made an assumption. We all know the old saying... assumptions are the Mother of all F ups.

The only thing I do know is that Big Dog and GR3's mom did not marry or live together but I did see a picture of GR3 in his house while he was in high school and it looked pretty nice. I know that Big Dog wasn't always physically in GR3's life growing up but I heard stories of them playing one on one in high school so I made the assumption that Big Dog was at least part of his life.

I actually just did some googling and found this link. It's a good story with some pics that look similar to what I saw last summer and this is what led me to my assumptions. It's a good article though. Pics are at the top of the page.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/l-c-s-robinson-hoping-to-be-like-father-like/article_31d1cf59-dd64-5ef1-a749-a9a57259a239.html

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:31 pm

I think he comes back as of now. That said, he is really turning it up lately. Still he has not been consistent like Burke and Hardaway. There is still a lot of season left so it could change. If Michigan makes a deep tourney run and Grob is performing well his draft stock could really increase.

I have resigned myself to the fact that THJ and Burke will leave after this year. We really need to Grob back next year to help with the new recruits. A core of Stauskus, Grob and Mitch would be a great foundation.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 12:50 am

Something that shocked me was the nbadraft.net had GR3 above Burke and Hardaway over a month ago.

That just shows you how high scouts are on him.

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 am

Man I hope he is not the next Manny Harris. I believe it was Manny that went undrafted. I feel like two year should be the norm unless you are a sure thing lottery pick.
Back to top Go down
jjabilene

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 10:50 am

Unfortunately, we're not going to have a clue about what Robinson is going to do until sometime after the season ends. You just never know what's in a kid's head until the time comes. For example, it was obvious Morris wanted to go pro and nothing was going to stop him. Burke seemed similar last year, but someone got through to him at the last minute and he decided to stay (looks like a great decision btw). In our favor, he's not considered a lock for the first round yet. It would certainly hurt to lose all three of them.

Willie, sorry to nitpick, but I actually thank GRob just played two of his worst games of the season. He disappeared like everyone else against OSU and, I believe, didn't score in the first half against Minny (obviously played better in the 2nd half). He went 3 for 9 on two-pointers over the two games. It's amazing what a couple highlight reel dunks will do for public perception Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 11:54 am

I've heard Trey Burke compared to and touted as the next Chris Paul more than a few times. Trey is an All American and clearly the best guy on our team as it stands now.

Hardaway is no slouch. He has pedigree and understands what it takes to make it in the NBA. He's got the frame and he's got the talent. Hardaway could surprise at the next level given time and the chance.

All that said, IMO GR3 has far and away a better upside then both TB and TH Jr. I can see how some boards or scouts may have him higher than either of them.

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Nitpick away. I stand by my comment. He had 13 against Pitt, 9 against KSU on 3-11 shooting, 11 against NC St. He struggles against the better opponents. Not a knock him. He is a Freshmen. I think another year would serve him well. I think Morris and Harris had better numbers prior to go to the NBA and one went undrafted and the other has struggled to get stay in the NBA let alone see significant PT.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

All that said, IMO GR3 has far and away a better upside then both TB and TH Jr. I can see how some boards or scouts may have him higher than either of them.

I agree with this, although I think Burke is still up there since he is a PG and his size should not be an issue. GR3 has the frame but he needs the game to go with it.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Burke's size is definitely an issue when talking about his NBA potential.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 1:32 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
I've heard Trey Burke compared to and touted as the next Chris Paul more than a few times. Trey is an All American and clearly the best guy on our team as it stands now.

Hardaway is no slouch. He has pedigree and understands what it takes to make it in the NBA. He's got the frame and he's got the talent. Hardaway could surprise at the next level given time and the chance.

I agree with all of this, I just wanted to address the Burke to Paul comparison. People who state this are foolish. Burke is phenomenal and my pick for National Player of the Year, but Paul is a once in a decade player. A better comparison for Burke and the NBA would be Aaron Brooks, former Oregon Duck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFzMOFml9I

Burke won't even be the 1st or 2nd best NBA PG in this draft. Ben McLemore and Michael-Carter Williams will be. So to compare him to arguably the best point guard in the past 5-10 years is a stretch.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 2:08 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
Burke's size is definitely an issue when talking about his NBA potential.

He'll be a first rounder. Seems like a non-issue to me.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 2:21 pm

You can be an NBA first rounder and still have your ceiling limited by size. Very few draft picks ever become more than role-players on NBA rosters. That percentage takes a huge dip after the first 5-10 picks.

His size is an issue. He is in everybody's top 5 for best player in college basketball. How many draft experts have him going top 5 in the NBA?

Why? His size. Seems like an issue to me.

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 3:04 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
You can be an NBA first rounder and still have your ceiling limited by size. Very few draft picks ever become more than role-players on NBA rosters. That percentage takes a huge dip after the first 5-10 picks.

His size is an issue. He is in everybody's top 5 for best player in college basketball. How many draft experts have him going top 5 in the NBA?

Chris Paul is listed at 6'0 same as Burke. No I am not comparing him to CP but I am saying that height is only one part of the equation and your are trying to make it the whole part. Hell your fist paragraph seemingly applies to anyone regardless of size so I am really not sure what you point is.

As for the draft experts, the beauty of their job is that they can revise their rankings anytime they want. there is still plenty of basketball to be played. March Madness has a way of improving guys draft stock.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 3:26 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:

Chris Paul is listed at 6'0 same as Burke. No I am not comparing him to CP but I am saying that height is only one part of the equation and your are trying to make it the whole part. Hell your fist paragraph seemingly applies to anyone regardless of size so I am really not sure what you point is.

As for the draft experts, the beauty of their job is that they can revise their rankings anytime they want. there is still plenty of basketball to be played. March Madness has a way of improving guys draft stock.

How many 6 foot point guards in the past decade have made the NBA All-Star game? Unless you are a once in a decade player (Chris Paul), being a 6 foot point guard is going to limit you in the NBA. It isn't a "non-factor" like you said.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 3:48 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
GR3 has the frame but he needs the game to go with it.

Do you realize that GRIII is rated the top freshman and 6th overall in the Big 10, based on play so far?

1. Trey Burke
2. Deshaun Thomas
3. Cody Zeller
4. Tim Hardaway JR
5. Brandon Paul
6. Glen Robinson III
7. Victor Oladipo

I'd say he's had the game to go with it.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Bro how many posts do you need to respond? You have 81 posts and I think 50 of them are to me over the last two days. Several of them are multi-posts. Is your strategy to throw a bunch of shit out and hope something sticks?

I love that with Will you tel everyone there is a middle ground between being a NFL bust and being All-Pro. Now you are telling me that Burke needs to be an NBA All-Star or he is a bust. You contradict yourself so bad.

THE RATINGS ARE NOT RELEVANT. They change. How many times do I have to say it???? Get your head out of your ass. There is a ton of basketball left to play. GR3 could be #1 on that list before the end of the season. He could get injured and fall off completely. It doesn't matter. Hate to break it to you but the "experts" are not the one's drafting.

Anyway carpet bomb this forum with some more of your posts. Something is bound to stick for you.

Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Those ratings are based on his statistics for the current season, not his predicted NBA value.

By his GAME SO FAR he is the 7th rated player in the Big 10 and you say "he has the frame but needs the game".

You were wrong, move on.

Regarding Burke, I think he will be alright in the NBA. I can see him in a Rodney Stuckey like roll for the Pistons. He is a gamer. But his weakness is his height, so to call "height a non-issue" is wrong, too. If he was 6'5 he would be the best PG in years. The ISSUE of his height will keep his ceiling in the NBA low.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I seeBurke asmoreof a Paul type in the NBA? Paul was a good college player, but he is a great NBA player. Burke has that kind of speed.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Check out that video I posted of Aaron Brooks. That looks like a Trey Burke clone. That comparison is no slight to Burke. Brooks a McDonalds All-American in HS, was a Wooden All-American his final year of college, drafted 26th in the first round and 12.5ppg and 3.6apg for his career. One season he put up 19.6ppg and 5.6apg.

I see Burke around 13ppg 4apg too.

Chris Paul was:
Drafted 4th overall
NBA rookie of the year
6 time All-Star
2x 1st team NBA All-Defense team
2x 2nd team NBA All-Defense team
2x NBA assists champion
2x NBA steals champion

I don't see Burke being that type of player. I don't see anyone in many years being that type of player.

Really, check out Aaron Brooks. You'll see a lot of similarities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFzMOFml9I
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
Those ratings are based on his statistics for the current season, not his predicted NBA value.

By his GAME SO FAR he is the 7th rated player in the Big 10 and you say "he has the frame but needs the game".

Wow get off the pundit jock. You run around on here like these guys word is the gospel. GR3 is 22 in scoring, 19 in rebounding, 6 in FG. So that makes him 6th best in the conference?? That's laughable. I love GR3 but he has a lot of room to grow. There is no way he should be ranked ahead of the like of Hollins, Appling, Mbawkwe and possibly a couple others at THIS point in his career.

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I seeBurke asmoreof a Paul type in the NBA? Paul was a good college player, but he is a great NBA player. Burke has that kind of speed.

i am sorry but Hail has the final say in these issues Fish.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 9:53 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:

Wow get off the pundit jock. You run around on here like these guys word is the gospel. GR3 is 22 in scoring, 19 in rebounding, 6 in FG. So that makes him 6th best in the conference?? That's laughable. I love GR3 but he has a lot of room to grow. There is no way he should be ranked ahead of the like of Hollins, Appling, Mbawkwe and possibly a couple others at THIS point in his career.

fishgoblue22 wrote:

i am sorry but Hail has the final say in these issues Fish.

I said ratings, not rankings. This site is very reliable and puts a lot more into their statistic analysis than scoring, rebounding and FG%.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/statrank/players/8?class=

and

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats?games=1&conf=big-ten&season=2012-2013&min=

It isn't my opinion or someone else's opinion.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 pm

*crickets*

PostSubject: Re: good news but maybe not?   good news but maybe not? Empty

Back to top Go down

good news but maybe not?
Page 1 of 1