Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spring Practice thoughts

Go down 
+2
romeo49
sandyeggo_blue
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Spring Practice thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Just some things that I saw during the practice that I thought were worth mentioning.....

1. The DBs looked decent. I'm sure some of it was the young QB play but still, it is worth mentioning. No INTs though Sad Would have thought they would get at least one from Cleary or Swieca.

2. Speaking of young QBs, Cleary has a long way to go but he certainly wasn't worthless. Staying with the QBs, Swieca has some zip in his arm. I was pleasantly surprised.

3. The D line was a bit jittery at first. They need to keep onside but you can tell that they are an upgrade from last year.

4. Funchess is athletic, PERIOD. Jeremy Jackson was used often and he didn't disappoint. Chesson doesn't look 195, he looks to be 175 at best ha ha. Skinny! Gallon will be the leader among the group.

5. Did Rawls get faster? He looked fast. He went east to west and then got north really fast. I just don't see how Norfleet is going to get off the special teams. He is a good running back for sure but he is so shifty that he makes a better return man.

6. Frank Clark and Taco Charlton are bigger than I thought and I already thought they looked big.

7. I thought the short yard red zone D looked good. Nice penetration. The red zone D at 15+ yards looked bad.

8. Just didn't see enough of Cam Gordon or Brennan Beyer to get a feel for how they are going to replace Jake Ryan. I wish I could have seen more.

One point to make... I watched a bit of O$U's spring game, just on a side note, their freshman DEs (Spence and Washington) looked far and away better than ours (Wormley and Charlton)

PLEASE let's discuss
Back to top Go down
romeo49

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 6:56 am

Spence and Washington were top 50 reruits weren't they? They both shined in the Army All American Game and one beat Lewan in November. neither of our guys were as highly rated but no slouches either. We'll be fine. Ohio will get their best talent instate usually so what can you do?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm

romeo49 wrote:
Spence and Washington were top 50 reruits weren't they? They both shined in the Army All American Game and one beat Lewan in November. neither of our guys were as highly rated but no slouches either. We'll be fine. Ohio will get their best talent instate usually so what can you do?

yes they were. But we actually had a really good shot at Washington, we just didn't close that deal. You are right, they were much more highly touted than Wormley and Charlton. I think it was just worth mentioning and kind of touches on a point that although the star system isn't perfect, it doesn't hurt to go after and get the highest rated kids.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Just some things that I saw during the practice that I thought were worth mentioning.....

6. Frank Clark and Taco Charlton are bigger than I thought and I already thought they looked big.

PLEASE let's discuss

Taco looked like an absolute freak for being only 18 years old. Put on 30lbs (per the broadcast) since January when he enrolled. He may never be the biggest DE, but he'll be an athletic freak (I'm hoping).
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 am

I hate the White shoes wore by some of the players, would feel better if the white was Maize instead. Saying that I thought the DB's mlooked better and that Norfleet would be usedthe same way Smith was. Funchess is a load. WR still look then but Gardner has a gun and should still be a threat.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Norfleet's biceps looked like PYTHONS on TV. Holy crap.

Running back, in my opinion, is a concern with Fitz still not 100%. I'm sorry, but the media and Fred Jackson can talk up Rawls, Hayes, Johnson, etc. all they want....but until I see it on the field (IN A GAME), I'm not buying it.

WR is also a suspect position. I love Gallon, and I think Chesson could prove to be a down-field threat, but boy we're lacking there in general.

Defense scares the pits out of me...but I don't feel terrible about it simply because we have Mattison. The roster on that side of the ball wasn't much worse two years ago and he put a helluva product on the field in Year 1.

This is going to surely be a very interesting season.

Can't wait to get started.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:50 pm

the artist formally known wrote:
I hate the White shoes wore by some of the players, would feel better if the white was Maize instead. Saying that I thought the DB's mlooked better and that Norfleet would be usedthe same way Smith was. Funchess is a load. WR still look then but Gardner has a gun and should still be a threat.

Speaking of WRs. Mich offered 3* WR Maurice Ways (6'4" 190lbs) from Detroit Country day. He only has MAC type offers though.

He is quoted as saying UM is his dream school so I can't imagine he'll sign anywhere else. I wouldn't be surprised if commits soon.

So I'm wondering, if we are only taking 3 WRs in this class and Ways would make two, they who do we go after harder, Artavis Scott or KJ Williams?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:03 pm

This guy eggo?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130418/OPINION03/304180452/1131/sports0201/Michigan-courting-big-time-receiver-Maurice-Ways-Country-Day

Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 6:08 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
This guy eggo?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130418/OPINION03/304180452/1131/sports0201/Michigan-courting-big-time-receiver-Maurice-Ways-Country-Day

that's the guy.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 7:28 pm

By the way, Maurice Ways recently tweeted, "Commitment to UM huge possibility". He's visiting MSU today. I expect a commitment to UM tomorrow. Setting myself up for a nice bump Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 11:24 pm

And if not I'll remind you...
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 2:02 am

When does Derrick Green get to campus?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 4:31 am

Not sure, maybe someone else knows?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring Practice thoughts   Spring Practice thoughts Empty

Back to top Go down

Spring Practice thoughts
Page 1 of 1