Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I like the new banner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

I like the new banner Empty
PostSubject: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 am

Must have done some digging for that.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks, Fish!

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 am

Cool pic, Admin.

Interesting this ID card is 1938-39 but he's not listed as playing until 1940-42. Did they not allow them to play as freshmen back then? Anyone know? Or, maybe he just didn't want to play.

Note the telephone number on it, 5 numbers!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 10:09 am

Correct, freshmen weren't allowed to play back then.

I noticed that about the phone number too!!!!

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 am

BillMFan wrote:
Cool pic, Admin.

Interesting this ID card is 1938-39 but he's not listed as playing until 1940-42. Did they not allow them to play as freshmen back then? Anyone know? Or, maybe he just didn't want to play.

Note the telephone number on it, 5 numbers!
Freshmen did not become eligable until 1972. However, some played prior to that. In 1971 the NCAA allowed Marshall to play freshmen, one year after the plane crash that took the lives of their entire traveling squad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize that rule went back that far.

Also interesting to note he played under the name Al, or even Albert (saw that somewhere) but, his pic shows Francis Michael Wistert. Wonder how they that got "Al" out of that name? Guessing he didn't like the name Francis or Mike (sorry, MichMike, don't take that offensive lol)?

Says in Wikipedia he played 9 years in the NFL for the Steagles and the Eagles. Wow, I've never heard of the STEAGLES. I'm assuming that must of been before they were the Eagles?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 12:32 pm

BillMFan wrote:

Also interesting to note he played under the name Al, or even Albert (saw that somewhere) but, his pic shows Francis Michael Wistert. Wonder how they that got "Al" out of that name? Guessing he didn't like the name Francis or Mike (sorry, MichMike, don't take that offensive lol)?

Says in Wikipedia he played 9 years in the NFL for the Steagles and the Eagles. Wow, I've never heard of the STEAGLES. I'm assuming that must of been before they were the Eagles?
I'll drop a little more history on you. the Steagles were the combination of the Steelers and Eagles. The merged for the 1943 season because both had lost so many players during WWII. I only know this because I'm a huge Steelers fan, and I read it last year while looking up some of their history.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 3:05 pm

The 5-number telephone number was common back then. The exchange was always stated in numbers (for example: K-L-2-2-7-7-5, or whatever it was). Everyone on campus had the same first 2 letters so they all knew it. There were not as many phones back then so everyone would have to call the operator at first if they wanted to call outside of their local area and say the letters. You could reach that person directly by only dialing the numbers IF you lived in that area. Or at least I think that is how it went.

Well, that wasn't it exactly but close: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100829094006AAGE7lC

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
BillMFan wrote:

I'll drop a little more history on you.  the Steagles were the combination of the Steelers and Eagles.  The merged for the 1943 season because both had lost so many players during WWII.  I only know this because I'm a huge Steelers fan, and I read it last year while looking up some of their history.
Ahhhh....so that's the reason for the strange name. I couldn't figure out what a 'Steagle' is and I ran out of time yesterday morning to google it.!
Thanks Fish, for the history lesson. I appreciate it as I'm a history nut. GO BLUE!
Back to top Go down
MichiganFootball13

MichiganFootball13

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 4:06 pm

The banner up right now with Hayes' catch against UVA is one of my favorite Michigan moments of my lifetime
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 4:15 pm

MichiganFootball13 wrote:
The banner up right now with Hayes' catch against UVA is one of my favorite Michigan moments of my lifetime
I heard it was scorching hot that day at the big house.

It's funny to look at Dreisbach during the frantic celebration. He mentioned afterwards that he was so dehydrated that he was afraid if he jumped in the pile of players he wasn't going to be able to breathe and would probably throw up. That's why he's tapping all the players as they dive in the pile in the end zone.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Funny, I had a dream or something about that day last night. I actually wasn't even a Michigan fan at that point in my life. I was just thinking about how I was going to dress for opening day this year and that day crossed my mind. Football in shorts and a T-shirt? Yep, I think so...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I like the new banner   I like the new banner Empty

Back to top Go down

I like the new banner
Page 1 of 1