Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

UM Fan Confessions:

Go down 
+5
1umgoblue85
WillieMfan
joe
hailtrueblue
Go_Blue
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Go_Blue

Go_Blue

UM Fan Confessions: Empty
PostSubject: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Over the course of my 40 something years of being a UM football fan, I have done some things that I hate to admit. I thought it would be cool to see what everyone else has done.

In Sept of 1994 I was invited to my friend, Matt W.'s house, to watch the UM vs CU game. Matt and his wife were PSU grads, and since PSU had joined the Big 10 conference, we shared a common bond and Matt and I watched a lot of Big 10 football. However, this was the first time that Cindy (Matt's wife) ever got to see me at my finest....yelling and screaming and pulling for the Big Blue. As everyone knows, UM handled a higher ranked Colorado, for most of the game (as I choose to remember) and the game was tense into the 4th quarter.

Then came the final play. With the victory in UM's grasp, Stewart made that ill-fated throw.

I was in such shock and so pissed that I (without intent or malice, mind you) chucked my beer bottle at the TV. Needless to say...Beer bottle met TV screen..and much like the game, "the rest was history".

I bought Matt and his new bride Cindy a new TV. Unfortunately, I was never allowed back to their house. Instead Matt and I met at a sports bar to watch football. (Imagine that) We still meet every year when UM and PSU meet. Luckily, as time has passed, we laugh about it. However, Cindy promised I would never watch a UM game at their house again. (even though I am the Godparent to their middle son!!)

So, that is only one of my stories. What do any of you have?

Go Blue!!
Back to top Go down
hailtrueblue

hailtrueblue

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 pm

I turned 21 on October 3rd, 2009.

I was going to school at Ferris State. A couple months before my birthday my parents offered to take me to Vegas for my 21st. After a long debate with myself, I decided to pass. I wanted to spend my 21st in East Lansing and celebrate with a Michigan win in the heart of Spartonville.

I watched the game from a bar and bought my first shot immediately before Caper's heartbreaking run. My 21st birthday night was spennt hearing "Go Green....Go White!"

That is one of my stories.

- Muhammad Ali
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: I have one.   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:42 pm

My then girlfriend (now wife) and I were at home watching UofM/ND in 2005. She and I had been together for about a year or so and this was the first time she was going to sit down and watch a game with me.

We bought Swedish Meatballs and pasta and everything to have while watching the game.

So, watch it we did. What a disappointment Michigan was that day. And no amount of F Bombs by yours truly could sway the Mighty Men In Blue.

I said F the Irish and F the refs and F the announcers, and oh yeah "Where's the Effin noodles and Meatballs Gdammit?"

Needles to say we lost. I was an ass. I was a prick for 2 days. I HATE losing to ND!

In those days my GFriend would stay at my house until 5:00am Monday and then get up and drive straight to work in Lansing. (2 Hours)

So on Monday my Gfriend goes into work and at 7:05 the OWNER calls her in to the office and tells her to close the door behind her. (She's wondering what she did and why she was getting fired????)

So her boss says, "Did the FUCKING Meatballs and Noodles ever get done?"

My gfrielnd didn't know WTF he was talking about because it was 2 days before.

So, I had accidently "Butt dialed" my gfriend's main work number. When it answered it went to a voice mail.

10 minutes straight of stjoemfan "effing" and "Gdamming" and "Zhitting" and anything elsing you can think of.

Good thing her boss was understanding. They Laughed like hell!

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Mine is probably not as good as yours but here goes...

I was in college and dating my future wife in 1995. We had been dating for about a year. I had been home with her a couple of times but really did not know her family that well. Since 1993 I have not been to the OSU-Michigan game three times (yes I even go to c-bus)and this was one of those years hat I did not go. My freinds were not going to the game for whatever reason so my only plans were to watch it on tv. My girlfriend was going to be going home and wanted me to come along. I figured why not I could just as easily watch the game there as I could at my place. So as we are driving to her place I started asking questions like "I suppose your family is all Ohio State fans." She said not really. I found that very odd to say the least. So we get to her place and are hanging out with her family and I try to make small talk. I ask her dad and brother in law if they were going to watch the game. They did not even know the game was that weekend. I found that to be quite fucked up. How can people that live in Ohio not know that Michigan-OSU were playing and not root for one team or the other?????

At this point I was stuck in the Twilight Zone and tried to make the most of it. Game day game and it was me, my girl friend and her younger sister in the living room. I think her sister was reading; she certainly did not care about the game. Well the game came on and some guy named Biakabutuka ran all over the heavily favored Suckeye's. I was going nuts. Jumping and screaming. At one point I had grabbed my girlfriends sister and was shaking the hell out of her.

That is one of the greatest games I have ever seen and it totally sucked not watching it with people that even cared about it. I told my girl friend on the way back to school that I will never watch another game at her families again. I have kept that promise to this day.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:45 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
My then girlfriend (now wife) and I were at home watching UofM/ND in 2005. She and I had been together for about a year or so and this was the first time she was going to sit down and watch a game with me.

We bought Swedish Meatballs and pasta and everything to have while watching the game.

So, watch it we did. What a disappointment Michigan was that day. And no amount of F Bombs by yours truly could sway the Mighty Men In Blue.

I said F the Irish and F the refs and F the announcers, and oh yeah "Where's the Effin noodles and Meatballs Gdammit?"

Needles to say we lost. I was an ass. I was a prick for 2 days. I HATE losing to ND!

In those days my GFriend would stay at my house until 5:00am Monday and then get up and drive straight to work in Lansing. (2 Hours)

So on Monday my Gfriend goes into work and at 7:05 the OWNER calls her in to the office and tells her to close the door behind her. (She's wondering what she did and why she was getting fired????)

So her boss says, "Did the FUCKING Meatballs and Noodles ever get done?"

My gfrielnd didn't know WTF he was talking about because it was 2 days before.

So, I had accidently "Butt dialed" my gfriend's main work number. When it answered it went to a voice mail.

10 minutes straight of stjoemfan "effing" and "Gdamming" and "Zhitting" and anything elsing you can think of.

Good thing her boss was understanding. They Laughed like hell!

Ha! That's pretty funny!
Back to top Go down
1umgoblue85

1umgoblue85

PostSubject: Damn,you guys are awesome!   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 6:16 pm

I only get pissed when UM loses and it ruins my weekend. I recover on Monday's! I bleed Maize and Blue!

Last edited by 1umgoblue85 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 4:18 pm

I hate michigan state. I absolutely can not stand that Intermediate School District in east landfill. I despise them more than ohio, THAT'S sayin' something.

Whenever I meet a sparty fan I simply tell them. "O...K,....I...will...talk...very...slow__ly...for...you." And after they laugh I typically add in "Look at your feet".

Wink

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Have several friend I know , when I see them wearing their MSU stuff, I ask if they have been shopping at Garage sales.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 6:43 pm

I love this thread! I'm still traveling home from SB 46...I have a couple stories to share I'm sure.

ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm

the artist formally known wrote:
Have several friend I know , when I see them wearing their MSU stuff, I ask if they have been shopping at Garage sales.

Ya gotta love those Save-a-lot spartys...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
wstsidedad

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Great Stories! The 1994 UM - CU game is a great story. I was at that game. The student section had already sang the goodbye song. The Big House was rocking. We were all ready for a great victory. When Kordell Stewart threw that 70 yard Hail Marry pass. The place got so quiet that you could hear a pin drop. I was so pissed that I had my now ex-wife drive home (2 hours to Rockford). I really needed to use a bathroom (#2). but I was so mad I just wanted to get home. I am telling you I think she drove 25mph the entire ride home. When we finally got to the Lowell exit I had her pull into the car pool parking lot. I literally exploded. Then realized I hadn't grabbed any TP/napkins. So I squat to the front car door and as I open the door I hit my forehead with the car door. Blood is running down my face and I still haven't found tp/napkins. I finally find napkins and get back on the road. Boy did carma get me that day!

I still hate that loss! I just wathced the play on youtube and it still is pretty depressing. Why did we only rush three guys?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Holy Shit dad! I damn near pissed myself!

I had to read your story to my wife too. She felt for ya (just before busting into laughter!)

PostSubject: We rushed only three guys because we had a bullshit d-coordinator that year.   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:02 am

wstsidedad wrote:
Great Stories! The 1994 UM - CU game is a great story. I was at that game. The student section had already sang the goodbye song. The Big House was rocking. We were all ready for a great victory. When Kordell Stewart threw that 70 yard Hail Marry pass. The place got so quiet that you could hear a pin drop. I was so pissed that I had my now ex-wife drive home (2 hours to Rockford). I really needed to use a bathroom (#2). but I was so mad I just wanted to get home. I am telling you I think she drove 25mph the entire ride home. When we finally got to the Lowell exit I had her pull into the car pool parking lot. I literally exploded. Then realized I hadn't grabbed any TP/napkins. So I squat to the front car door and as I open the door I hit my forehead with the car door. Blood is running down my face and I still haven't found tp/napkins. I finally find napkins and get back on the road. Boy did carma get me that day!

I still hate that loss! I just wathced the play on youtube and it still is pretty depressing. Why did we only rush three guys?

LLLLLLoydddddd.
Back to top Go down
Go_Blue

Go_Blue

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:09 am

"We rushed only three guys because we had a bullshit d-coordinator that year."

You have to let it go Sir!! I have agonized that play for many a year and as wstsidedad sid, I still cringe even though I know what is going to happen. By the way, wstsidedad, your story cracked me up and brough about a few other stories I have. That will be for a later time.

Go Blue!!

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 am

I just can't...the most upsetting football play I've ever seen!
Back to top Go down
Go_Blue

Go_Blue

PostSubject: I will take that game over the Appy State game any day of the week and twice on Sunday.   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:27 am

dwoody wrote:

CU was still a powerhouse back then.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Not much 'confessional', but a story...   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:11 am

It was the 2003 Ohio game, at the Big House. It was the 100th game...a big deal.

So I rode up there with my dad, younger brother and his two friends. None of them planned on going, but I had a couple hundred bucks on me I was willing to spend.

For some reason, I've always had good luck scalping right by the gas station right when you get off the highway (can't think of the name of it.)

So, we parked there, and I started talking with folks. Found a guy who was selling tix, and I needed just one. It came off a ticket for $140, and I couldn't believe how cheap I got it for, not to mention, the location was AMAZING. Right in the heart of the alumni, visitors' side of the field, about the 35 yard line or so I want to say, and about 20-25 rows up. Needless to say, the best seats I had ever had for The Game.

So, I go in by myself (the others I came with just hung out and tailgated, met a really nice guy with couches and a big screen who invited them to watch with his group). I get to my seat and sit down. Immediately, everyone around me is looking at me like I'm in the completely wrong place. People were whispering around me. Finally, a guy in his 40s or so behind me leans up and taps me on the shoulders. I turn around, and he says "I think you're in the wrong seat."

I said "No I'm not. I bought this ticket outside the stadium."

He asked to look at the ticket, and suddenly everyone around him was looking at it. You could tell he had bad news.

"I'm sorry, I don't know where you got this from, but this isn't real."

I kind of got pissed, but kept my cool. So, I said "What makes you think that????"

His reply: "Well, I'm not sure if you're very familiar with Michigan football, but do you know who Jeff Backus is?"

"Of course I do, why?"

"That's his seat, and the woman next to you is his wife."

She looked at me and smiled (the kind of smile like 'Yeah, he's not lying.')

My mouth dropped to the cement beneath my feet. I started to look around, and ushers were grabbing people from seats all around me and walking them up the stairs. I immediately put 2 and 2 together and realized I had been sold a bunk ticket, and so had a bunch of others, and I was about to get my butt nicely kicked out. I began begging the people around me to not tell on me. I explained that I couldn't have known, and that I was sorry about what had happened. They all kind of looked at each other, and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't rat me out (thank god I was still a kid then, or they probably wouldn't have been so cool about it). They told me I could sit at the far end of the row, at the aisle, and they would squeeze in as much as possible, but no guarantee I'd have somewhere to sit (although, looking back, that makes no sense, because Backus wasn't there, so no one technically sat in that seat.)

Anyway, I sat the entire game at the end of the row with one ass cheek on the bleacher, and the other hanging off. I was praying all game that an usher wouldn't spot me and give me the boot. By the end of the game my left leg was so tired from holding up that side of my body. But, Braylon had a 2 td effort and we beat the Bucks. At the end of the game I thanked everyone around me for letting me stay and not ratting me out.

We set an attendance record that day, beating our old one by 800 people or so, if I remember correctly.

That was 100% because of all the counterfeits sold that day.

I'll never forget that day, more so because of the fiasco I found myself in and not the win over Ohio.

ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

dwoody wrote:

I'm probably going to be stoned and forced to wear a Scarlett Letter from now on for saying this but I actually loved that play. That was before I went to school at Michigan and I actually hated UM at that point in my life. Wow, a couple years going to school there really pointed me in the right direction.

As Go_Blue pointed out, the Appy State final play was by far worse. I just couldn't talk after that play, I was stunned. And the loss to Toledo was bad as well. I just saty there in the Stadium for 30 minutes following the game because I couldn't move.

Embarassed

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Admin wrote:
It was the 2003 Ohio game, at the Big House. It was the 100th game...a big deal.

So I rode up there with my dad, younger brother and his two friends. None of them planned on going, but I had a couple hundred bucks on me I was willing to spend.

For some reason, I've always had good luck scalping right by the gas station right when you get off the highway (can't think of the name of it.)

So, we parked there, and I started talking with folks. Found a guy who was selling tix, and I needed just one. It came off a ticket for $140, and I couldn't believe how cheap I got it for, not to mention, the location was AMAZING. Right in the heart of the alumni, visitors' side of the field, about the 35 yard line or so I want to say, and about 20-25 rows up. Needless to say, the best seats I had ever had for The Game.

So, I go in by myself (the others I came with just hung out and tailgated, met a really nice guy with couches and a big screen who invited them to watch with his group). I get to my seat and sit down. Immediately, everyone around me is looking at me like I'm in the completely wrong place. People were whispering around me. Finally, a guy in his 40s or so behind me leans up and taps me on the shoulders. I turn around, and he says "I think you're in the wrong seat."

I said "No I'm not. I bought this ticket outside the stadium."

He asked to look at the ticket, and suddenly everyone around him was looking at it. You could tell he had bad news.

"I'm sorry, I don't know where you got this from, but this isn't real."

I kind of got pissed, but kept my cool. So, I said "What makes you think that????"

His reply: "Well, I'm not sure if you're very familiar with Michigan football, but do you know who Jeff Backus is?"

"Of course I do, why?"

"That's his seat, and the woman next to you is his wife."

She looked at me and smiled (the kind of smile like 'Yeah, he's not lying.')

My mouth dropped to the cement beneath my feet. I started to look around, and ushers were grabbing people from seats all around me and walking them up the stairs. I immediately put 2 and 2 together and realized I had been sold a bunk ticket, and so had a bunch of others, and I was about to get my butt nicely kicked out. I began begging the people around me to not tell on me. I explained that I couldn't have known, and that I was sorry about what had happened. They all kind of looked at each other, and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't rat me out (thank god I was still a kid then, or they probably wouldn't have been so cool about it). They told me I could sit at the far end of the row, at the aisle, and they would squeeze in as much as possible, but no guarantee I'd have somewhere to sit (although, looking back, that makes no sense, because Backus wasn't there, so no one technically sat in that seat.)

Anyway, I sat the entire game at the end of the row with one ass cheek on the bleacher, and the other hanging off. I was praying all game that an usher wouldn't spot me and give me the boot. By the end of the game my left leg was so tired from holding up that side of my body. But, Braylon had a 2 td effort and we beat the Bucks. At the end of the game I thanked everyone around me for letting me stay and not ratting me out.

We set an attendance record that day, beating our old one by 800 people or so, if I remember correctly.

That was 100% because of all the counterfeits sold that day.

I'll never forget that day, more so because of the fiasco I found myself in and not the win over Ohio.

It amazes me that people can make such good counterfeit tickets that it fools the gate people. I am sure this was probably before they had the scanners but still it had to look pretty real for you to get in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UM Fan Confessions:   UM Fan Confessions: Empty

Back to top Go down

UM Fan Confessions:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL FORUM-
Jump to: