Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Transfer added

Go down 
+2
fishgoblue22
sandyeggo_blue
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 am

I always thought Duncan was a cool name (first or last) for a basketball player.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11460487/duncan-robinson-transfers-michigan-wolverines

anyone know anything about the kid?

I've seen three sites that list him at 6'6", 6'7" and 6'8"

sandyeggo_blue

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 am

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/30/duncan-robinson-of-d-iii-williams-college-considering-transfer-to-michigan-davidson/

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-dagger/how-duncan-robinson-made-the-leap-from-division-iii-to-michigan-232239550.html

fishgoblue22

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 6:28 am

Wasn't this old news? I know he couldn't officially join the team until school started, but he announced a couple months ago I thought. At least he will have a RS year to add some weight.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Yes, I thought the same thing fish.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 11:23 pm

They talked about him tonight. Sounds like he is as good as advertised. 2016 could be a really special season if the pieces fall into place.

Why can't this kid play right away? Isn't he playing up a division?
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 11:36 pm

Another steal for JB, the best basketball coach in the USA.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 2:26 am

Eh.... I wouldn't get my hopes on on this kid. I don't think he'll ever be much more than a role player off the bench.

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Someone save this thread. I have read too many good things about the kid for him to just be a role player. Hell they talked about him last night and he wasn't even playing. This kid is going to thrive in this system.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 7:24 pm

No need to save the thread. I don't have an issue with owning up to things I was wrong about (like GRIII being a 1st rounder).

Also, I'm not saying that Robinson is going to be bad, just that I see him as a role player. The kid can shoot the lights out, so he'll have a role on the offense, but I don't see him ever becoming a LeVert / Stauskas type playmaker. He just isn't athletic enough or a good enough ball-handler. I also want to make it clear that there is nothing wrong with being a role player. Spike Albrecht is a role player but I'm very glad he's on our team.

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 8:16 pm

You're on the record as roll player. I'm on the record that he will be an impact player. The kid led his team to the NC. I don't care what division it was.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 8:22 pm

i think the fact that there are 5 pretty solid guys that play the two positions he'll probably play will most likely determine his contributions next year. I think for sure he'll be a role player next year. He'll be an option off the bench that could contribute quite a bit in the rotation or not much at all. who knows though? 2016 could be his year and that would really only give him one year as a potential star.

I'm staying Switzerland in this one because I just don't know enough about him and I don't know enough yet about our young players this year, but I think both of you guys could probably pitch a solid argument for your case.

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 8:44 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
You're on the record as roll player.  I'm on the record that he will be an impact player.  The kid led his team to the NC.  I don't care what division it was.  

Do you think he has a LeVert/Stauskas level ceiling?

Do you think it is likely or unlikely that he averages over 10.0ppg for a season?

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Likely. Maybe not first year but certainly second. He has been compared to Pittsnogle.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:00 pm

https://youtu.be/Y_VgwfwCIEo
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Can he play any D?
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 pm

dwoody wrote:
Can he play any D?

No. None.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:46 pm

dwoody wrote:
Can he play any D?

Well below average. His biggest weaknesses are lateral movement and strength. Not quick enough to guard college 2 guards and not athletic or strong enough to guard 3s and 4s.

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:47 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Likely.  Maybe not first year but certainly second.  He has been compared to Pittsnogle.  

Very different players.

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
dwoody wrote:
Can he play any D?

Well below average. His biggest weaknesses are lateral movement and strength. Not quick enough to guard college 2 guards and not athletic or strong enough to guard 3s and 4s.

Shit. Is it too late to release him? Obviously this kid sucks. Coach B can't develop players. We're screwed.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Stupid strawman is stupid.

I already said he will have a role in the offense because he is an elite shooter. It isn't an either/or thing. Just because I don't think he will be 1st team All-Big caliber doesn't mean I don't think he will be a useful addition.

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Can you share where you're getting your information on his lateral movement and strength from? Was this at a private workout he did for you? Are these things that can be improved on her on my just crazy? It's not like Michigan strength and conditioning department hasn't worked wonders on their other players. So excuse my sarcasm bot your scouting report makes me laugh.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 11:29 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Can you share where you're getting your information on his lateral movement and strength from? Was this at a private workout he did for you? Are these things that can be improved on her on my just crazy? It's not like Michigan strength and conditioning department hasn't worked wonders on their other players. So excuse my sarcasm bot your scouting report makes me laugh.

I'm not sure why you're be so combative. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I formed my opinion by watching a handful Robinson's videos and reading several scouting reports. I'd be interested in going more in depth about my opinion, but you are clearly just looking for an argument.

I will say, though, that anyone that is comparing Duncan Robinson to Pittsnoggle isn't very credible. The two are very different players.

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Here is one breakdown, that is mostly positive, from a poster who watched him play last season:

"Been lurking since Duncan starting looking at various schools and it's fascinating to listen to some of the 'experts' that have never even see the kid play a game. As someone that watched Duncan this past year I'll try to enlighten a little bit - although all of this is subject to "does it translate to D1."

DR has length - I'd say he's above average on his length (definitely not a T-Rex) which can be a benefit and also a potential problem. He's not a great leaper but he's quick off his feet and has good instincts so he blocked a lot and altered a lot of shots last year. That's a habit that needs to be broken at this level because I think it will lead to more fouls than blocked shots. But, his length definitely can bother shooters he's guarding so that is a good thing.

He flat out strokes it. Admittedly I haven't watched Stauskas a ton (although I'm a Kings season ticket holder so I'll be watching him this year) but I think DR is a better 3 pt shooter but no where near as good of a scorer as Stauskas. He's got range up to 28 ft so if you leave him open, even if it's 5 ft behind the line he's going to knock it down more times than not. He can put the ball on the floor but he's not going to be quick enough to get by people at this level unless he's playing the 4 and guarded by a big.

He's lateral movement will be an issue on defense. He's got great instincts and will get in passing lanes, however, he's not quick side to side and is going to be much better at guarding 3s than 2s.

Needs to work on his ball handling. He's ok but not good on handling the rock and it's not something you really want him doing a lot. Even with a lot of work I don't think this will ever be something he's going to excel at, he's more a catch & shoot player.

He is a good passer and looks for teammates, but he's not going to be racking assists off the bounce like Stauskas can. He's a smart and unselfish player so if he sees an open teammate he'll get them the rock but he won't force things.

Overall he's going to be a weapon on offense from his shooting alone, regardless of whether his ball handling improves. He's just lights-out and stretches the defense. He moves well without the ball to get open. Defensively he's going to struggle with quicker players and he's never going to be strong enough to battle inside - it's just not his body type. I see him as a 3 at this level where he's just quick enough to stay with guys on defense and his size will be an advantage on offense.

He's a gym rat, he's very smart and if he does fall short it won't be for lack of effort on his part, it will just be his physical skills aren't quite where they need to be but I think at a minimum he's a solid bench player. "

You don't have to agree with my opinion, but you don't need to turn everything I say into a pissing match.

wshoes

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 7:03 am

I like gym rats to be a part of the roster. I'd put Zach Novak and Spike Albrecht in the "gym rat" category.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 9:29 am

wshoes wrote:
I like gym rats to be a part of the roster. I'd put Zach Novak and Spike Albrecht in the "gym rat" category.

'shoes

Yup, so do I. There's definitely a place for him on the roster (as I've said). I just don't see him becoming becoming a LeVert/Stauskas level guy. Spike Albrecht is the very definition of a role player, but I'm glad he's on the time and he's getting a good amount of minutes.

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Roll player?

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/duncan_robinson_michigan_1.html
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 6:01 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Roll player?  

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/duncan_robinson_michigan_1.html

1. Yes. Like I said, I think he will be a role player with that role being an elite shooter that stretches the floor (which is what your link is about). I'm curious as to what more you are expecting from him. I feel like his ceiling is capped by his athleticism. He just isn't quick or athletic enough to be an elite guard and he isn't big or strong enough to be an elite big. They guy is 6'8 (the size of most Division 3 Centers) and grabbed only 6.5 rebounds per game. That's not good.

2. Why do you take such offense to me thinking he will be a role player? That isn't a diss to the kid. Spike Albrecht is a role player and I love what he brings to the team. Zack Novak was a role player, Jordan Morgan was a role player.

3. I take these kind of articles with a grain of salt.
Similar article on Donnal
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/03/michigan_freshman_mark_donnal.html
"He's going to be good," Morgan said. "Really good."

Heck:
Lorenz 247:  Michigan head coach John Beilein raised some eyebrows at tonight's team banquet when he referred to sophomore center Max Bielfeldt as "unguardable" in practice.
Quinn Mlive:  John Beilein just said the Big Ten is going to learn next year that "nobody can guard" Max Bielfeldt.

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 6:10 pm

To give an idea of what kind of player I think Robinson will be, it would be a hybrid of Stu Douglass and Evan Smotrycz with better shooting.

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 9:30 am

My intent wasn't to re-hash the same argument over and over again with you.  The kid gets more publicity than guys that are actually eligible to play right now and it's not just by our own coaches.  That speaks volumes.

Sorry Hail not going to go 18 rounds with you on this one.  We'll find out who this kid is in less than a year.

I never knew posting two words would be considered "bitter" and kick of two posts on how I am wrong. Too much caffeine?
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 10:13 am

If you don't value my input on a sport I follow way too religiously, then ignore my posts. I've been pretty civil this entire time, but you keep trying to make it personal.

And I'm still waiting to what makes you think he is going to be more than just an elite shooter. Is he athletic enough to get to the rim? Does he have Stauskas/LeVert like handle? Is he a defensive stud? .......Other than your comparison to Pittsnoggle (which is incredibly off base), you haven't explained why YOU think he'll be a 1st team All Big Ten type player.

Transfer added Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transfer added   Transfer added Empty

Back to top Go down

Transfer added
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next