Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Realistic seeding outlook

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
eGrandpa

Realistic seeding outlook Empty
PostSubject: Realistic seeding outlook   Realistic seeding outlook EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 pm

So as many of you may have saw a couple days ago, Michigan was projected as a 3 seed on ESPN's bracketoly. I still think that it was boarder-line between a 3 or a 4 seed realistically if the season ended this past weekend. I think tonights win on the road vs Northwestern puts them at a probable 3 seed if the season ended now. So that puts us at 21-7

So now we got 3 regular season games left: vs Purdue, at Illi, and at Penn St. We should win all 3, but we will win at least 2 out of 3. That puts Michigan at 23-8. We get a bye in the conference tourney either way. We SHOULD win the first game (second round) which puts Michigan in the semi-finals. We do all that and finish 24-9. I say that puts Michigan at 3 seed still, which would be great.

How to go to a 2 seed: go 3-0 to finish season (easily possible) and then go to the conference tourney finals. That'd put us at 26-8 ....what do you think, you think that'd be enough to get to a 2 seed?

We obviously can still drop to a 4 or 5 by losing another regular season game and losing in the first game (second round) of the conference tourney (possible.) And could go to a 6-7 by completely stumbling.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Realistic seeding outlook   Realistic seeding outlook EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:08 am

I like everything you have there.

My only difference is I think Michigan has to win the conference tourney to get the #2. I think some people, most importantly the committee, will still be a little skeptical of the Wolverines come seeding time. I don't know why, but I think they will.

eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: Realistic seeding outlook   Realistic seeding outlook EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:54 am

Admin wrote:

My only difference is I think Michigan has to win the conference tourney to get the #2. I think some people, most importantly the committee, will still be a little skeptical of the Wolverines come seeding time. I don't know why, but I think they will.

Yeah you may be right in that they'd have to be co-champs (meaning MSU has to lose one or more which is possible with their tough last 2 games) and then get to at least the finals of the conference tourney.
Back to top Go down
hailtrueblue

hailtrueblue

PostSubject: Re: Realistic seeding outlook   Realistic seeding outlook EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:02 am

If Michigan ties MSU for the conference championship AND wins the B1G tournament, they have a good arguement for a 1 seed.

Replace Michigan with MSU or OSU.

Point is, the B1G should produce a 1 seed if conference champion or co-champion wins the tournament. This is especially true if said team is MSU or OSU. If it is Michigan, Kansas or Missouri will most likely be the 4th #1 seed.

#1 Kentucky
#2 Syracuse
#3 ACC team (Duke or NC)
#4 MSU/OSU/MICH/KAN/MIZZ

Regardless, if things pan out like they SHOULD, I see 3 B1G teams in the top 8-12 seeds.

- Muhammad Ali
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Realistic seeding outlook   Realistic seeding outlook EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 am

Admin wrote:

I think I can answer for you, admin. The same reason why major-league umpires have different strike zones
for veteran, Cy Young winners than for just-up-from-the-minors rookie pitchers. (And we all know that's true). Human nature will lead the seeding committee to think something along the lines of "We know Michigan's good now, but not No.2-seed good. Not yet. Maybe after another season like this."

Get my drift?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Realistic seeding outlook   Realistic seeding outlook EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 am

michmike wrote:
Admin wrote:

I think I can answer for you, admin. The same reason why major-league umpires have different strike zones
for veteran, Cy Young winners than for just-up-from-the-minors rookie pitchers. (And we all know that's true). Human nature will lead the seeding committee to think something along the lines of "We know Michigan's good now, but not No.2-seed good. Not yet. Maybe after another season like this."

Get my drift?

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. And if there are any 'basketball' people on the committee, they may see Michigan as a one-trick show: Burke. For those of us who watch this team on a regular basis, we know that not to be true (granted he is a HUGE part of it all), but to outsiders that may be all they see. That said, hard to seed a team like that very high.

WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Realistic seeding outlook   Realistic seeding outlook EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 am

Would love to see us a 3. That would would put a cap on a good season and give them a real shot at making a deep tourney run.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Realistic seeding outlook   Realistic seeding outlook Empty

Back to top Go down

Realistic seeding outlook
Page 1 of 1