Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sarkisian fired.

Go down 
+6
MgoBlue
dwoody
sandyeggo_blue
wshoes
ThatGuy
MGOBLUEBC
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 5:50 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/10/12/9500783/steve-sarkisian-usc-coach-fired
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 5:58 pm

Gee, who didn't see that coming?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Shortest leave of absence ever?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 8:49 pm

is USC opening themselves up for a wrongful termination claim???

I'm no walking HR manual but I'm pretty sure you can be fired while on a leave of absence and a quick google check found this

http://woman.thenest.com/can-employer-fire-taking-leave-absence-10966.html

If Sark gets paid (contract clause, etc) then I'm sure he'll just walk away but if USC is trying to save face and money then they could be fighting this in the courts for a long time to come.

shitty situation for SC fans IYAM

dwoody

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Substance abuse or dependence are recognized diagnoses, so I wondered if he might have a claim under American with Disabilities Act for wrongful termination.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 10:51 pm

dwoody wrote:
Substance abuse or dependence are recognized diagnoses, so I wondered if he might have a claim under American with Disabilities Act for wrongful termination.

They don't have to accommodate him so that he can drink on the job, no ADA expert but hard to see how it would apply here.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 11:15 pm

dwoody wrote:

Absolutely, but he also has to prove that he can perform the duties of his job with accomodation. 1 days worth of treatment won't cut it.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 11:18 pm

wshoes wrote:
dwoody wrote:

They don't have to accommodate him so that he can drink on the job, no ADA expert but hard to see how it would apply here.

This is my area, yes ythey do or at least show a good faith effort to accomodate Sark. This is a complex case though as part of the duties of a Head Coach is to attend fund-raisers where alcohol is present. This will be interesting. Personally, I don't think they gave Sark enough time to receive help, not that it would have fixed the issue.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 11:22 pm

My point, NBO. They were pretty quick to pull the trigger w NO time for treatment. That is where I think the ADA could come into play.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 11:40 pm

is this a good defense for USC?

"if your absence is causing the company undue hardship or financial loss."

that article I linked says that is ground for a termination.

recruits dropping, boosters tightening up, etc.

let's wait to see what his payout is first. Like I said, if he gets paid he'll probably just walk away and get help and not fight it.

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 7:01 am

Regardless it was mishandled. Suspend him indefinitely and let him deal with his addiction. Now he has to deal with the job loss too. You can always fire him. I am not speaking legally just morally. With additional reports of him leaving campus sobbing I feel like they just put him out on the street. Check him in somewhere for crying out loud.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 7:32 am

He's a drunk and should be a role model for his players. They are absolutely within their rights to fire him IMO. He chose to drink, alcoholic or not.

His actions caused him to lose his job. Plain and simple. To much coddling in the U.S. these days. Take responsibility for your actions.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 7:50 am

Great take. He "chose to drink." Apparently someone does not understand substance abuse.

Look I am the last one to pat someone on the ass when they need a kick in it. Still substance abuse is very tricky. HE SHOULD BE FIRED. You just do not do it without helping him get treatment first.

Feel free to read up on it-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 8:33 am

Well it looks like he had this problem at Washington ,so, is it USC's responsibility? Seems like if Washington knew about it, why didn't they get him help?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/steve-sarkisian-was-reiumbursed-by-washington-for-hefty-alcohol-bills/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/steve-sarkisian-spent-big-booze-washington-report-article-1.2394176
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 am

If you want to go that route than they shouldn't have hired them. They obviously did not do their duligence. Now it is there problem. Some things are bigger than the game. Bigger than wins. Look at the red carpet LSU rolled out for SC last week. They put the game aside for a minute and they made both SC and the fans feel at home. That is how you handle life issues IMO.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 8:49 am

Don't you think he'd been placed on probation after the instance where he was drunk at the booster event before the season? They banned alcohol from the locker room- I don't think that was because of the players. He was apparently drunk at the ASU game and again at practice Monday.

My guess is that the one day leave of absence was that it took their lawyers that long to convince them that they were safe in firing him.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 8:51 am

wshoes wrote:
Don't you think he'd been placed on probation after the instance where he was drunk at the booster event before the season? They banned alcohol from the locker room- I don't think that was because of the players. He was apparently drunk at the ASU game and again at practice Monday.

My guess is that the one day leave of absence was that it took their lawyers that long to convince them that they were safe in firing him.

Yeah, that would be my guess, also.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 9:23 am

MgoBlue wrote:
Great take.  He "chose to drink."  Apparently someone does not understand substance abuse.  

Look I am the last one to pat someone on the ass when they need a kick in it.  Still substance abuse is very tricky.  HE SHOULD BE FIRED.  You just do not do it without helping him get treatment first.

Feel free to read up on it-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism

As someone who beat alcohol addiction, this is somewhat true. He should not be able to keep his job because he does work with children as stated above. But it is not a 'choice'. It may be in the beginning, but then it becomes a need whether you want it or not. If his addiction is as bad as it seems, he either had to try to get away with consuming, or dealing with withdrawals. The later would be much more difficult to hide.

I'm sure they will do whatever they can to help him, but releasing him of his coaching duties was the right call.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 9:28 am

I completely understand substance abuse.  I also think it can be a crutch. Let's not pretend that if USC was winning at the rate the school wants, this would be covered and taken care of.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 9:52 am

I worked with a functioning alcoholic for a couple of years. he chose to retire rather than get fired when he was found to be drunk at work. he was lucky enough to be retired from the military and have 20+ years at my company so financially it wasn't a hard choice for him.

I didn't find out about his problem until I heard he passed away (from drinking) a few years later. I never once smelled it on him and never once suspected him of being sauced up at work.

The Sarkasian situation seems to be different all together. I'm sure what shoes said is probably what happened. It probably didn' take them long to find cause. for all we know, USC did their homework and there was something in his contract about drinking.

I guess we'll just have to wait to see how this plays out.

GOBLUEJOE66

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 12:05 pm

I haven't looked/read anything about this today. Is the word still out there that Pat Haden might get caught up in all of this issue and get canned?

Go Blue!! Smile

ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 2:26 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I completely understand substance abuse.  I also think it can be a crutch.  Let's not pretend that if USC was winning at the rate the school wants, this would be covered and taken care of.

That sentence alone says that you do not.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 3:26 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:
I completely understand substance abuse.  I also think it can be a crutch.  Let's not pretend that if USC was winning at the rate the school wants, this would be covered and taken care of.

That sentence alone says that you do not.

So, if USC is winning 10 games a year do you think this would be a problem for them? Nope.

Also, it's a bunch of people here that are trying to make something out of this. Has Sarcasian? Nope.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Yes I do believe if $c was winning this would still be a deal, maybe not during the season but come the day-after signing day it would become immense. And even then I'm not so sure that it would take that long. Recruits are already bolting.

Addiction is a disease, not a choice.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 9:10 pm

sorry but drinking on campus and before a game or practice by a coach is more than enough cause for termination ... whether you consider the problem a disease or not he made the decision to drink on the job ... end of story .... that aside hopefully he gets the serious help he most definitely needs
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 11:01 pm

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/654129243048181761
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 5:50 am

BOLEACH7 wrote:
sorry but drinking on campus and before a game or practice by a coach is more than enough cause for termination ... whether you consider the problem a disease or not he made the decision to drink on the job ... end of story .... that aside hopefully he gets the serious help he most definitely needs

+100
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sarkisian fired. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sarkisian fired.   Sarkisian fired. Empty

Back to top Go down

Sarkisian fired.
Page 1 of 1