Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My thoughts the next day

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wshoes

wshoes

My thoughts the next day Empty
PostSubject: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 8:49 am

This is a cut and paste from mlive- but perhaps not everyone here is on that board:

Before the season I had us at 8-4 or 9-3, primarily based on uncertainty as to how we would do in the season opener with Fla in Texas. When we won that I adjusted to 9-3. When we lot to MSU, I revised back to 8-4. I still think 8-4 is the number.

I did, as a a fan, allow myself to dream bigger, but there were nagging signs that suggested that was irrational. Florida was worse than thought, the O-line was still below average, and QB play was straight up bad. O'Korn's performance against Purdue, again led me to higher hopes, but as Braylon Edwards pointed out BEFORE the MSU game, that Purdue performance was in large part based on finding receivers after protection broke down not on pocket passing and hitting receivers on their original routes- that is not sustainable.

I also worried (and stated here) that our defense had really not faced a good offense. Our first 4 DL are as good as last year, but last year we had a solid 7 or 8 man rotation- and depth helps, a lot.

We put 12 players in the NFL after last season and we do not have the depth of talent yet to absorb that without a drop-off.

This is not OSU when Urban took over. He inherited a boatload of talent and a QB that fit his system. (how bad was Fickell to only get 6 wins out of that team?)

Hoke's last class was 18th ranked in recruiting and that was high based on a Mich bump on recruit rankings. The transitional class after the disaster of Hoke's last season and with JH just getting the job in Jan, was 40th ranked. Those two classes should have formed a core of this year's team. We have a combined talent/ experience deficit. That is already changing. The 2016 and 2017 classes are deep and talented.

No one likes to accept reality but this was always set up to be a challenging year.

That said, I do expect some changes in the off season to the coaching staff on the offensive side. I also agree with all who say we need to get Peters significant meaningful snaps to see what we have with him.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 9:53 am

Let's hope Rutgers gives a chance for Peters to get some significant PT. If for no other reason, in case O'Korn gets hurt.
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 10:43 am

I still think the team goes as the line goes you can have stud runners and receiver's and QB but if you can't block that means nothing. PSU had presser on Okorn all day. The run game wasn't terrible but still. defensively they were on the field a long time but any scheme where you have Barkley on a LB is suicide. Maybe should have played some kind of nickel defense.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 11:35 am

True and O-line is the toughest position group to put together, years of recruiting failures at the position and Newsome's devastating injury, have cost us.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Peters is still a mystery. He isn't even commanding huddles in practice! The kid is way to soft-spoken and lacks assertiveness. That will change with Coach Harbaugh but not soon enough to help this year. I've said it before and I'll say it again, at least next year we get McCaffrey.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
bluenote

bluenote

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 pm

I agree with what everyone has said and also would add the fact Michigan is the youngest team roster in all of D1 football this season. Losing a dozen seniors to the NFL is hard enough to absorb when you are a totally loaded roster. We aren't quite there yet, but the building blocks are still in place. Think about the next couple seasons when we'll have a ton of juniors and seniors who have started 2 and 3 years. The ship could use some tightening up, the coaching needs some work/change, but upperclassmen leadership by students with multiple years of starting experience will go a long ways towards bringing this team up a few notches.

No man is more important than The Team.
No coach is more important than The Team.
The Team, The Team, The Team
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptyMon Oct 23, 2017 11:12 am

bluenote wrote:
I agree with what everyone has said and also would add the fact Michigan is the youngest team roster in all of D1 football this season. Losing a dozen seniors to the NFL is hard enough to absorb when you are a totally loaded roster. We aren't quite there yet, but the building blocks are still in place. Think about the next couple seasons when we'll have a ton of juniors and seniors who have started 2 and 3 years. The ship could use some tightening up, the coaching needs some work/change, but upperclassmen leadership by students with multiple years of starting experience will go a long ways towards bringing this team up a few notches.

Very well said and pertinent.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptyMon Oct 23, 2017 6:27 pm

bluenote wrote:

I'm not really arguing here as I agree with your points but do you have any proof that we are the youngest team in D-1? sparty is claiming that they are.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
bluenote

bluenote

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Bo 2.0 wrote:
I'm not really arguing here as I agree with your points but do you have any proof that we are the youngest team in D-1?  sparty is claiming that they are.
I was basing that claim on statements made at the start of the season during a television broadcast...don't recall who said it. Here is a link showing we aren't quite the youngest, but also showing Sparty isn't even on the top 25 list of youngest teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1715513-25-youngest-teams-in-college-football

No man is more important than The Team.
No coach is more important than The Team.
The Team, The Team, The Team
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day EmptyWed Oct 25, 2017 1:15 am

bluenote wrote:
Bo 2.0 wrote:
I'm not really arguing here as I agree with your points but do you have any proof that we are the youngest team in D-1?  sparty is claiming that they are.
I was basing that claim on statements made at the start of the season during a television broadcast...don't recall who said it. Here is a link showing we aren't quite the youngest, but also showing Sparty isn't even on the top 25 list of youngest teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1715513-25-youngest-teams-in-college-football

Thank you.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts the next day   My thoughts the next day Empty

Back to top Go down

My thoughts the next day
Page 1 of 1