Members, please sign in.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored

Go down 
AuthorMessage
flabluefan1

PostSubject: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:24 pm

But UM has a decent shot to beat them. Brunson is great but Simpson is the best defensive PG in the nation. If Z shakes off his bad game vs Loyola and can contain Brunson that should throw Nova off. Plus UM defends the three very well. Loyola came in shooting over 40% and did nada v UM.

Mo has a big size advantage over the Nova bigs. He and Teske have to get to the hoop down low and block some shots and get some boards. If Nova overplays Mo and Teske Ali Z and Matt should be able to drive to the hoop.

The big worry is that Nova comes out hitting threes even against close guarding. If that happens its game over. On the other hand if UM hits some early threes to open things up in the paint for Mo and Matt then Nova is in trouble.

UM has to withstand the first 5 minutes of the game and be in it then. If so UM has a great shot to win.

I'm in our local newspaper pool here. No $ involved so I just go with UM all the way and pick them to beat Nova in the finals 75-74. Frankly I wouldn't have picked UM to go all the way if there was $ involved so what does that tell you?

I'm #2 in the local pool of some 500 or so folks! So I look up the #1 guy who I'm hoping has Nova and VA in the finals or whatever...He has UM playing Nova and winning 76-74! So I'm #2 no matter what happens!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Great piece of analysis in stressing the importance of the OPENING FIVE MINUTES, Fla.

What your bet, with no $$ involves, tells even a moron: You aren't VERY CONFIDENT in your pick!!

And why not?

You give plenty of [legit] reasons above why we can win. To me, our biggest advantage is DOWN LOW: not only do Moe and Jon have size (at 6-11 and 7-1 resp.) 'Nova does not, but Moe really clamped down on the OFFENSIVE BOARDS vs. Loyola in the opening 20 minutes (without which we probably lose the game, big second half or not; he definitely kept us afloat!!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 pm

One other sizeable advantage (IMO) I forgot to mention, FBF--- the pressure is on our OPPONENT this time...we were favorites (or at least the higher seed) in all five of our previous games.

With the shoe now on the other foot, I have no doubt the best coach in college basketball will exploit that fact to the hilt, reminding our guys of what a great season despite such low prefatory expectations they put together; and with the "superteam" across the court being favored (by just about everybody) to win---go out, play together as you have all year, and HAVE FUN!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flabluefan1

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:06 pm

If we come out and hit some early threes and Simpson drives Brunson to the hoop and turns him over a couple times we could really stun them. This is a winnable game and as you say the guys need to relax and go out and play like they know they can.

As for my pool, if had had $ on it I'd have to go with Nova even right now. That's why I don't gamble at all. When I've been in pools in either football or hoops I pick UM even though my gut tells me they have little or no shot. The few times I picked against UM and UM won I felt like cr--. The few times I picked against UM and UM lost I felt even worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:52 pm

I never bet money on Michigan because if they lose, l'm in a shitty mood and if they lose AND it costs me money, well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:17 pm

not feeling real good about Michigan's chances just hope they play a real good competitive game. Nova really tough on the perimeter, Michigan will need to shoot well! I love the analogy of these broadcaster one says Michigan can run and should the other says Michigan cant run with these guys! I think Michigan will need to win the individual battles, guard the perimeter, and stay out of foul trouble. they will need a good outing from MAAR, Robinson and "Z" .

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 pm

Wagner looked terrible when they just showed him doing stretching exercises. No extension at all. He looked disengaged and sloppy. Some of the other players were just standing around. If they can't get untracked, we're doomed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:59 pm

dwoody wrote:
Wagner looked terrible when they just showed him doing stretching exercises. No extension at all. He looked disengaged and sloppy. Some of the other players were just standing around. If they can't get untracked, we're doomed.

I can't believe I just read this. I hope you aren't serious with the stretching analysis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Never too early to start bitching about how the team looks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 pm

What a great season this was! In December, who imagined we would be bitching about the officiating in the NCAA Finals? Michigan basketball in the Beilein era is as good as it's ever been since I started paying attention in 1963.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joe

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:10 am

dwoody wrote:
What a great season this was! In December, who imagined we would be bitching about the officiating in the NCAA Finals? Michigan basketball in the Beilein era is as good as it's ever been since I started paying attention in 1963.

+1

Bitterly disappointed tonight. Will probably sink in how good the season was later in the week, or month or year.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored   

Back to top Go down

Villanova is a great team and deserves to be favored
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Michigan Basketball Forum-
Jump to: