Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spring Ball

Go down 
+4
dwoody
michmike
joe
flabluefan1
8 posters
AuthorMessage
flabluefan1

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 2:59 pm

All these "feel good" articles about how good certain players are doing are necessary I guess since the media has to say something about what's going on.

The real test will be the spring game of course. I'm glad the Oline is going against the Dline in practice. I know there's a risk of injury but If you're not going against the best you have on the other side how are you going to get better? Especially for the Oline?

I recall watching the spring game last year. It was obvious that the DL was going to be great and that Bush was going to be great. On O Peters looked good ( I still think he got a bad rap in the Outback. He was under constant pressure and his receivers weren't open. That's a fatal combination.) Black was head and shoulders above the rest of the WOs. UM's O really took a hit when he went down last year.

So in the spring game we all need to be watching the OL and WOs as much or more than the QBs On D we need to see if the newbies on the DL can replace Mo.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 pm

I'm planning on attending on the 14th.

Anyone else planning on attending?

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Took a long look at attending but just doesn't work. I did however reserve a hotel room in Indy for Dec 1st and made a res at St Elmo's, both cancellable of course. Hope springs eternal.
Back to top Go down
michmike

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyThu Apr 05, 2018 10:17 am

joe wrote:
I'm planning on attending on the 14th.

Anyone else planning on attending?

Nope, afraid not, Joe. Maybe one of these years they'll schedule the BH5K the Sunday right after the Spring game, so I can attend both...
(5K is Sunday the 8th, not 15th).
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyThu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 am

Sitting in a cold, windy and, probably, wet stadium watching a practice on a mid-April Saturday (Sayerday) night is not my cup of tea, despite my love for all things Michigan. But, have fun!
Back to top Go down
michmike

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am

Like you, FBF, I'm cautiously optimistic [re: upcoming season]. But certainly NOT pessimistic.

We DO return 9/11ths of the nation's No.3-ranked defense, all nine a year older, more experienced, and, per both they themselves and coach Jimbo, stronger and "faster". And some excellent DBs (notably Utah transfer) anxious to push, if not unseat, the two safties.

But more importantly, reason for optimism on offense. A new OL coach, a solid interior (Bredeson, Ruiz, Onwenu), and tackle candidates angry at being called "weak link" (which they WERE) and eager to rectify that situation. And with QBs back, WR's back, RBs back and TEs back, our offense HAS to be better this fall than last (if for no other reason than it can't be WORSE, eh? But there are plenty of less-sarcastic, more tenable reasons it will improve).
Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Been out of town. I'm with ya Mike. Only problem is for several years now going back to the Hoke era we've been reading articles about how this is the year that the OL is going to finally gel and they're sick of being the weak link etc etc. When Drevno came in with his tremendous track record of producing great OLs wherever he had been, I thought we had turned the corner. When we ran all over Fla in the Citrus Bowl I thought the old UM running teams were back. While there had been some improvement, i.e. we were able to run all over the weaker teams in the conf., when it came to crunch time we couldn't run the ball effectively against good teams.

I don't know much about Warriner. I would have preferred that Frey stay after Drevno left, but reading between the lines it's apparent to me that Frey and Drevno didn't get along and Frey, thinking the Drevno was around for the long haul, grabbed the first opportunity out of town. Don't really blame him.

To me it appeared that the OL would play well for several plays and then have a critical breakdown that would put us in a hole. That's going to happen some even with the best OL, but with our poor WO play and erratic QB play it was the kiss of death to put us in 3d and long.

Lots of holes to fill on the O but the talent is there. Needs to be coached up. No reason why DPJ and Black shouldn't be a much feared combo outside and our TEs a force over the middle. I'm looking forward to the spring game to watch all of this.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyTue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 am

There was a piece on Warinner on mlive recently. I'm cautiously optimistic. He has a great track record -great OLs at ND I believe, and at OSU...my only concern is he uses a zone blocking scheme which is typical with spread offenses. This might be a question for flablue or any couch QBs here: Can zone blocking work in Harbaugh's offense?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyTue Apr 10, 2018 9:31 am

It is all about how the blocking scheme is executed. There is nothing inherently superior about man or zone blocking. Rich Rod didn't introduce zone blocking at Michigan- Lloyd Carr did 3 or 4 years earlier. Mike Hart set a Michigan career rushing record behind zone blocking. The Denver Broncos won a Super Bowl and Terrell Davis rushed for 2,000 yards behind zone blocking with the Denver Broncos.

I do worry when teams try to do both and don't master either one.
Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyTue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Totally agree with you Shoes.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyTue Apr 10, 2018 5:08 pm

wshoes wrote:

That was my concern when Frey was hired, because he is a zone guy and Drevno was a man guy.  Two different types working against each other.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball EmptyWed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
wshoes wrote:

That was my concern when Frey was hired, because he is a zone guy and Drevno was a man guy.  Two different types working against each other.

I will vouch that 'fish said that.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spring  Ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Ball   Spring  Ball Empty

Back to top Go down

Spring Ball
Page 1 of 1