Members, please sign in.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Warriner

Go down 
AuthorMessage
flabluefan1

PostSubject: Warriner   Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Hoping he can develop the OL like he did at OSU in 2014. Recall the first game that year OSU lost at home to an average Va Tech team. I recall watching a video of I think Warriner analyzing the OL play against VT and then showing video of the OL play later in the season where all the mistakes that were made in the VT game had been corrected. The point being that Warriner vastly improved the OSU OL over the course of the season after a dismal start. Hoping that he has already gotten the UM OL playing better. As i've said too many times if the OL and WOs improve the QB whoever it is will be just fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Warriner   Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:58 am

absolutely sick and tired of hearing about the O line improvement. We've been hearing year in and year out for over a decade about how they are improving. at this point Joe Thomas could come out of retirement and play on our line and I still wouldn't believe it.

I will always remain optimistic but I will also refrain from excitement over any news of our purported improvement.

I'll let you know next year how much improvement our O line as made.

flabluefan1

PostSubject: Re: Warriner   Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Like I said "hoping" I agree we haven't seen much from the OL for a long time. I thought after we ran all over UF 3 years ago that maybe the OL was coming around. It was ok the next year but not up to UM standards. Last year was horrible. They had the UM SC Outback game on down here on theSEC channel. It was painful to watch. SC had a good DL but our OL made them look like the Steel Curtain.
There were no holes at all for Higdon or Evans and DLs were coming free and hitting Peters all day. When Peters did get some time the receivers weren't open. Believe me I won't ever watch that game again. Pure torture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Warriner   Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:21 pm

We have had a couple of "dry well" recruiting classes at the position in recent years. Hopefully with better coaching the talent is now there. OL was the single biggest hallmark of winning UM football.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Warriner   Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 pm

wshoes wrote:
We have had a couple of "dry well" recruiting classes at the position in recent years. Hopefully with better coaching the talent is now there. OL was the single biggest hallmark of winning UM football.

Regarding your "dry well" assessment, on this squad yes, there very few top O line recruits currently on the team. Off the top of my head I'd say Ruiz, Bredeson, Onwenu and Newsome (if you want to count him). All starters by the way. So you can somewhat make a fair argument as to your "dry well" point but IMO the real underlying issue with this squad is that the depth is not quality.

Example: Filiaga was probably the only highly rated "2 deep" guy. Ulizio, Honigford, Stuber, Spanelis, Hayes, etc were all very low rated recruits that the staff liked enough to take a chance on. None of which have stepped up to separate themselves or blossom into the solid O lineman the staff though they could/would be.

The same can not be said about previous classes. Hoke recruited some highly rated O line kids that for whatever reason (I believe both a cultural and coaching) didn't/couldn't get the job done. Off the top of my head Hoke recruited Kugler, Bosch, Kalis, Magnusun, Dawason, Cole (and also benefited from one hell of a walk-on in Glasgow). All of those guys were highly rated recruits when Hoke got them yet they couldn't seem to put a solid unit on the field under Hoke (culture issue) and they couldn't turn it around when JH got there (coaching issue).

Hoke's recruits should have been pushing each other to be better because there was enough talent there to find the right guys to put a solid O line on the field. That never happened.

This staff has missed on some big time recruits in the last 3 years. Because of that the depth isn't quality and it will be exposed the minute a guy goes down. Winning fixes that. I can't say that I think that will happen this year.

BTW, the talent the D has gotten over the last few years, both highly rated or not, have been phenomenal. I think that is a direct credit to the D coaching across the board.

Hopefully Warriner can replicate that with our O line. It would be a massive start.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warriner   

Back to top Go down

Warriner
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL FORUM-
Jump to: