Members, please sign in.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

We've all seen this before.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bo 2.0

PostSubject: We've all seen this before.   Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:17 am

I'm trying not to get too excited because it was just wastern, SMU, and Nebraska but Nebraska can't be that bad can they be? I know that they lost to Troy but Troy isn't bad for a little school. Colorado isn't great but they are Big 12 program. Notre Dame, while undefeated, doesn't exactly look like world-beaters but they are undefeated. I hate to say this but I was always worried about the Notre Dame game. Being Shea's first game at Michigan, and on the road, at night, at Notre Dame, starting out running against a quality opponent, in a rivalry game and the outcome was not surprising. I just hope the past 3 games helped everyone work through their jitters or whatever you want to call them. Add in the fact that at Northwestern next week will basically be like a home game on the road and it shouldn't be that bad. Northwestern has been eratic this year (and the season is only 3 weeks old). They opened up beating Purdue on the road, yes I know that it's Purdue but it was at Purdue. Then losses to Florida International and Akron *shudder*.

Thoughts? I'm cautiously optimistic about next Saturday though. Michigan better not lose, that'd make it a bad day...

THOSE WHO STAY...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:05 am

Looking good right now. Hopefully it is sustainable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwoody

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:58 am

Can Hudson learn how to tackle this week? He can't be taking himself out of games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wshoes

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:46 pm

dwoody wrote:
Can Hudson learn how to tackle this week? He can't be taking himself out of games.

While I guess both were correctly called, I didn't think either this week or last week was really egregious on Hudson's part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwoody

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Last night I thought he looked fine until he raised his head just as he was making the hit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michmike

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:32 am

Nebraska, as even Frosty boy admits, is a bad team right now.  But they still have athletes, particularly linemen, who benefit from a world-class weight room, and (purportedly) Frost's "encouragement" to work their asses off therein. (Point: we weren't playing a D-2 or D-3 team here).  And BOTH of our lines completely MANHANDLED both of theirs.  

So that it itself is very uplifting...particularly from our O-line, the [alleged] weak link of the club coming into this season. It's obvious the "lesser" pair, tackles JBB and JR Jr., took to heart all that talk about how we're fine in the middle (which we are, with Bredeson and especially fast-rising Ruiz), but "questionable on the outside".

Now as Fish noted, here's hoping Saturday's display proves a PORTENT, not an aberration...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:45 am

will the real Michigan please step forward. I think it is going to be awhile before anyone knows how good they are. MSU, PSU and Wisconsin will give people a good look at the real Michigan, Still believe that defense is pretty good at least 2 out of every 3 plays. Penn States passing attack, Wisconsin running attack, well we will see. Offensive thoughts the run game has looked good and the TE seem to be producing, but the Wide receiver's really have not shown much.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:45 am

will the real Michigan please step forward. I think it is going to be awhile before anyone knows how good they are. MSU, PSU and Wisconsin will give people a good look at the real Michigan, Still believe that defense is pretty good at least 2 out of every 3 plays. Penn States passing attack, Wisconsin running attack, well we will see. Offensive thoughts the run game has looked good and the TE seem to be producing, but the Wide receiver's really have not shown much.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:27 pm

michmike wrote:
...But they still have athletes, particularly linemen, who benefit from a world-class weight room, and (purportedly) Frost's "encouragement" to work their asses off therein. (Point: we weren't playing a D-2 or D-3 team here)...

Don't kid yourself. IMO Nebraska is the only team in the B1G that has missed on elite O line recruits worse than UM over the last 4-5 yrs. I've watched diligently and just might know a little something about this.

Yes our D line is much better than most of the O lines in college football but the separation of talent in this game was egregious. It was nice to see them do EXACTLY what they should have.

michmike

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 am

[quote="sandyeggo_blueDon't kid yourself. IMO Nebraska is the only team in the B1G that has missed on elite O line recruits worse than UM over the last 4-5 yrs. I've watched diligently and just might know a little something about this.
[/quote]

Not going to question your recruiting expertise, Sandy, but relating to our performance last Saturday: I'm going to FILL my glass halfway (rather than toss off half) and assume we ARE as dominant up front as we showed UNTIL some team proves otherwise...rather than the other way around
(that is: assuming it was a FLUKE and that we'll stink up the joint against Wisc./MSU/OSU).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Yes I agree with that... Michigan absolutely dominated but IMO it wasn’t against respectable talent. Glass half full is that UM dominated as they were supposed to. Glass half empty... Nebraska’s O line is just terrible.

michmike

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:01 am

Can't argue that last point, Sandy.  Not only the O-line, but the entire 'Husker football program, at present at least, is a Chernobyl melt-down.

Amusing to see Scott Frost remains too contemptuous of Michigan even to NAME us in his post-beatdown conference ("We aren't yet up to [the level] to compete with 'that team'...").
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:57 pm

michmike wrote:
Can't argue that last point, Sandy.  Not only the O-line, but the entire 'Husker football program, at present at least, is a Chernobyl melt-down.

Amusing to see Scott Frost remains too contemptuous of Michigan even to NAME us in his post-beatdown conference ("We aren't yet up to [the level] to compete with 'that team'...").

well he's right about that and it's really not even close. He needs 1 or 2 good offensive recruiting classes and that could all change. With his QB in place I think he has a real shot at winning double digit games and challenge for the B1G west title within the next 3-4 years (provided he can last that long).

I foresee a RichRod type of progression in win totals for that program over the next few years. Gradual and steady.

michmike

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:39 pm

Really have to question your rationale, there, Sandy--- using "RichRod" and "progression" in the same sentence...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bo 2.0

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 pm

michmike wrote:
Really have to question your rationale, there, Sandy--- using "RichRod" and "progression" in the same sentence...  

3-9

5-7

7-5

THOSE WHO STAY...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bo 2.0

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:49 pm

I've been in a "debate" with a Walmart Wolverine for the last few days about how good Nebraska is. I even cited 'eggo as a big time (although unpaid) recruiting guy saying how Nebraska basically has no one. The WW in question still insists that Michigan is good and capable of beating ohio state. He's also the idiot that bet me Michigan would finish either 12-0 or 11-1 this year. This nimrod kept saying how Michigan's offensive line was getting better because they man-handled Nebraska. Ah to be young and naive.

THOSE WHO STAY...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwoody

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:24 pm

RichRod got effed by Michigan old guard, but I truly hated his inability to find a defense. Lights out offensively, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michmike

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:01 am

dwoody wrote:
RichRod got effed by Michigan old guard, but I truly hated his inability to find a defense. Lights out offensively, though.
I WAS referring to his utter ignorance of defense when I questioned our "progression" under him. And everyone agrees.

But "lights out offensively"? Against whom? The Ilinoises and Indianas? If I remember correctly, our losses to OSU under him were: 42-7, 21-10 and 37-7...the middle one at the 'House. In my book, a per-game-average of 8 points doesn't qualify as "lights out". Sorry.

But screw the RichRod era. This is NOW, and in Coach Jimbo's fourth year, our defense looks as good as at any time since 1997,
and our offense FINALLY is making noticeable strides, particularly up front...as well as STACKED at QB, WR, RB and especially at tight-end. I'm happy...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We've all seen this before.   

Back to top Go down

We've all seen this before.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL FORUM-
Jump to: