Members, please sign in.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

"Yellow River, Yellow River..."

Go down 
AuthorMessage
michmike

PostSubject: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:59 pm

No, I'm not a Jeff Christie-wannabe. I'm referring to the game Saturday.

And no, not the weather;  rather, the fact that (according to the Freep) we and Maryland are the B1G's second- and third-most penalized teams.
Will we see enough laundry on the field to put Proctor & Gamble out of biz???

But even if our men CAN keep the refs' hands out of their pockets (damnit, you know what I mean!!), Maryland is HARDLY the pushover they seemed pre-season, and [seemed] even more so after the Durkin shit hit the fan.  Just ask USC-killer Texas about it...

No one wants to see our team arrive FIFTEEN MINUTES LATE, as we did at Evanston, but even if another slow start happens, it's important we stop up the bleeding SOONER than a 17-point deficit.  

On the other hand, we get them (a'la Bucky a week later) at the 'House, and the Terps did have a road nightmare at (2-3) Temple...

I'll go with 31-10. If Rashan's not at least 95%, here's hoping he stays on the sidelines. Our linebackers NOT named Bush Jr. have really stepped up the last couple of games, and can offset Gary's absence (somewhat, anyhow)...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Thought you were calling an audible. Changing a pass play to a draw, following the yellow brick road.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joe

PostSubject: Re: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Getting real tired of seeing 8 or 10 or 12 penalties a game.

Everyone talks about how we never get holding calls on other teams with our awesome defensive front.

That has nothing to do with that many.

Yes, the refs miss some. (higdon) but you can't blame that many penalties on the refs alone.

We've got to quit doing stupid things. We'd better start soon. Hopefully this week.

Looked it up and we've had 7, 7, 13, 8 and 11 ACCEPTED penalties in the first 5 games. 9+ per. This is brutal.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 am

It's a high number to be sure but you have to look at them on a case by case basis. I have seen very few delay of games, jumping offsides or illegal procedure calls which to me are the mental mistakes.

A pass interference call for 15 yards if your guy was behind you and was going to likely score, without interference, is the right decision. In some cases if an offensive holding call is going to keep your QB from getting killed, that COULD also be the right decision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flabluefan1

PostSubject: Re: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:16 pm

I think some bias has developed as to UM's D. It's part of the game that coaches and players complain to the refs before and during the game about perceived penalties on the other team. UM did that in the NW game and got an offfensive holding call. Combine that with Brown's very aggressive D and there should probably be some more penalties called against UM than against some softer Ds. Some of the penalties in the NW game were blatant and should have been called. Pretty much all of the pass Int calls were legit. Most of them were just plain stupid on the part of the DB. Looks like they cleaned it up in the 2d half but it never should have happened in the first half.

Of course the Higdon call was horrendous but it shows the proclivity of the refs to call stuff against UM. The Gary hand to the face penalty was also non-existent and the Runyan hold was very iffy. All three came at critical times and really hurt UM.

The stats don't lie. UM gets called for way more penalties than most teams. IMO its in part because of the too aggressive play of the D particularly on pass D and in part because the refs are now coming into UM games with a mindset that UM commits a lot of penalties. IN any event its a big problem that needs to be corrected right now. Can't have drive sustaining PI calls and drive killing holding calls. This Saturday is important to see if improvement has been made there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:28 am

I don't care about penalties. PI's are the right thing to do if you are beat. It's only 15 yards, which is better than 7 points. I'm happy we don't see many off sides or false starts. Those are mental mistakes. Physical penalties are ok with me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michmike

PostSubject: Re: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
...Physical penalties are ok with me.

They aren't with me, when they (1) come on what would be a crucial third-down stop, or worse (2) result in a player's ejection (particularly as in Hudson's case, when we were thus sans him for the first half of the FOLLOWING game)

Or, for that matter, wipe out a first-down gain (e.g., the call two years ago in C'Bus on Mason Cole for hand-to-the-face
after Smith's long run on third-and-long [would have] got us a first down and out of a deep hole).
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
flabluefan1

PostSubject: Re: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:58 am

I agree with Mike. The penalties he cites were game changers.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Yellow River, Yellow River..."   

Back to top Go down

"Yellow River, Yellow River..."
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL FORUM-
Jump to: