Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bo yelling at officials

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

Bo yelling at officials Empty
PostSubject: Bo yelling at officials   Bo yelling at officials EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am

This may be a silly video but I'll look for any excuse to post clips of Bo. So here's 15 minutes of him yelling at stupid officials.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Bo yelling at officials   Bo yelling at officials EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 12:28 pm

HEHE!! Can't really watch too much of it, WH, here at work (even in lunch 1/2-hour), but Bo dealt IN DETAIL with the incident shown at the beginning of that vid: 1977, Michigan 41, A&M 3. The guys got so fired up, he said in his book, "Bo", that they flat-out outhustled the Aggies and out-toughed them on every play the rest of the half and into the third, when Leach's bombs to Jim Smith put it way out of reach.

Yes, Bo could yell with the best of them.

Perhaps the most sickening instance was his FINAL rant: his final game, the 1-1-1990 Rose Bowl, when after a perfectly-executed fake punt, a flag was thrown for "clipping", when there was NONE (that I could see in three viewings of the I.R.), and moreover, when the accuser was NOT the official whose duty it was (Bo explained) to monitor that phase of the play.

And then, to seal the deal, Gene Calhoun, who's as steeped in integrity as anyone who's ever officiated college ball, called Bo days later and told him "That call was PREMEDITATED. By a Pac-10 official who said, with his buddies, 'Bo's gonna get what he has coming.'."

(And yes, it was instrumental in turning a possible victory for us into a 17-10 loss).
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Bo yelling at officials   Bo yelling at officials EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm

michmike wrote:
And then, to seal the deal, Gene Calhoun, who's as steeped in integrity as anyone who's ever officiated college ball, called Bo days later and told him "That call was PREMEDITATED. By a Pac-10 official who said, with his buddies, 'Bo's gonna get what he has coming.'."

(And yes, it was instrumental in turning a possible victory for us into a 17-10 loss).

If UM wins that Rose Bowl, they would have gotten at leaste a share of the NC, I'm convinced. Not unlike Nebraska getting a share in 1997 when Osborne announce his retirment. Bo would have gotten some love on the way out the door.

Miam and ND both finished with one loss. Miami was crowned the NC over ND with FSU #3 with 2 losses. I think if UM beats USC in the Rose and finished with 1 loss, the season opener to ND, the coaches would have voted them #1. They were #3 going in. JMHO.
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Bo yelling at officials   Bo yelling at officials EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm

I didn't have the heart to include that play in the video. Seems typical that Bo's last game would involve getting screwed over on a bad call against USC in the Rose Bowl. Had we won, we might have got a share of the national title.

I actually got an email from Chris Stapleton's cousin asking for a copy of that play so I had to watch it when I sent it to him....man, that was painful.

And the ref you speak of who made that horrible call was Jim Kemberline. He's in that video against Hawaii talking to Bo on Greg McMurtry's catch that apparently wasn't a catch. Kemberline called a ton of Michigan games in the 80's and 90's and his dislike for Bo was well known. When he retired in 1998, my dad and I cheered.

As for the Texas A&M flag, it was mentioned in a Sports Illustrated article the following week...

In Michigan's second series, Huckleby took a pitchout right and made four yards. Michigan was called for holding, and Schembechler blew his top, leading to a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. The combined penalties cost the Wolverines 27 yards, putting them back on their 11. Schembechler said later that the official had refused to tell him what the penalty was for, and that's why he lost his temper. After the Duke game two weeks before, he had accused the Big Ten officials of standing around "like goons" while the Atlantic Coast Conference officials robbed his team. For that, Schembechler had been reprimanded by Big Ten commissioner Wayne Duke.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1135762/index.htm
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Bo yelling at officials   Bo yelling at officials EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Yes indeed, young friend, I bought (hard-copy of course: I wasn't 25 when you are 25, remember???) that issue of SI, and loved reading about that blowout! And yes, I recall reading his "Standing around like goons" statement!!!

Ah, memories, sweet memories...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bo yelling at officials   Bo yelling at officials Empty

Back to top Go down

Bo yelling at officials
Page 1 of 1