Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hey Flablue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: Hey Flablue    Hey Flablue  EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm

So, with all this playoff talk and doing away with the BCS, how does a bowl like your own plan to react?

Obviously you've gotta wait until all the details are ironed out, but are bowls like yours currently/already working on a plan?

Share ALL THE DETAILS, NOW!!!

Haha, jk.

But curious.

flabluefan1

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey Flablue    Hey Flablue  EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Actually last year it would have benefitted us. We have one and usually two Big Teams in the BCS and then Cap One gets to pick before us. The same with the SEC.

Last year Wisc would have been in Orlando under this system and we would have chosen between UM and MSU. Probably would have taken UM since you don't want to take the loser of the conf champ game.

In the SEC last year under the system LSU Bama and Ark were in the playoffs. Orlando had the next pick and since last year they took SC no reason to think they wouldn't have done so under the3 system. We then would have taken Ga and had a Ga UM game instead of a Ga MSU game. The benefit being that UM would have travelled better than MSU the conf loser.

On the other hand if the BIG has a strong year and has say three teams in the top 8 then our cho9ce would be lessened. It would be different but some years it would be good and others not, just as it is now.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey Flablue    Hey Flablue  EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Awesome stuff, flablue.

Didn't expect any less.

If you don't mind me asking, when does your committee begin meeting and talking about possible matchups each year? Mid-season? Week 10?

Just curious how that all works.

Appreciate all the info you (are allowed to) share with us!!

Go Blue!

romeo49

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: FlaBlue1 how do you like being treated like an idiot on the other forum by the likes of Cali, et al?   Hey Flablue  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 7:27 am

Amazing that three people would dedicate their lives to destroying a rival site with constant negative inane posts. Glad we don't have famous trees!
Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey Flablue    Hey Flablue  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am

Cali isn't so bad but Az is pathological...guy has serious problems. Kirks is about 12 I'm guessing.

Our annual meeting is in a couple weeks where we elect our new officers for the year. My annual motion to be chairman for life gets voted down unanimously annually as well.

Unofficially our selection process gets started at our outing at Saddlebrook in early June. Beilema (whose fiance is from Tampa) Zook (even though he is no longer coach at Ill) Gruden and spurrier will be there and maybe some others. Speculation as to who will be good etc starts then.

At the BIG mtg in Chicago in late July we usually get an idea as to who thinks they might be in the running for our bowl by the way the ADS and coaches treat us there. The do the math and suddenly are our best buddies.

Things then ebb and flow over the course of the season. We start our Selecton Comm mtgs in late Sept and start travelling to game in mid Oct. I have my own tix to the UM games and will be going to Iowa and MSU at least so far. Also will go to Neb since I've never been there.

Coaches and Ads and SIDs don't realy get the selection process. Last year I told Hoke Brandon and Ablauf before the Neb game that if UM won out it would be in a BCS game, likely the Sugar since two SEC teams were going to be in the NC game. They all said "but we're at best #3 in the BIG" and I said "yes but the BIG champ goes to the Rose and nobody wants the loser of the the BIG champ game (nor the SEC champ game for that matter)"

Sure enough UM went to the Sugar and we ended up having to take the losers of both conf champ games. Both Ga and MSU brought about 6000 fans each, far below the 11,000 they were allocated. Fortunately it was a great game and our tv rating were better than two of the BCS games even though our attendance was low.

Every year is different though which is why it is so fun. It usually isn't until after the conf champ games that we know for sure who our teams are. We may have it narrowed to a couple before then but things always change.

Think for example if Ga had beaten LSU and MSU had beaten Wisc in the champ games. We may have had LSU and Neb in our game since the reason Orlando didn't take MSU last year was because MSU had been in Orlando so often.

So we'll see and enjoy the ride.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey Flablue    Hey Flablue  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:23 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome insight.

Can't thank you enough for that sharing those details. I'm sure most of us here didn't know all that.

Glad you're here with us!!

romeo49

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for the response! I always favored Bo's approach to the bowls!   Hey Flablue  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 am

Diminishing them to this all or nothing approach is not what college athletics should be about, in my opinion. The argument for the playoffs is look at the NCAA tournament and that is my point! I don't watch it as it is generally a foregone conclusion of stacked perennials without a pretense of student athlete among them. State and Duke sneak in with some seniors but not lately. I won't watch them again until they at least go back to mandating sophomore status before you leave like with Magic/Isaiah, et al! At least they have to get enough courses under them that they may go back and graduate like those two did because of what it means and the message it sends. But hey, I am old school and don't play video games for instant gratification.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey Flablue    Hey Flablue  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 4:12 pm

flabluefan1 wrote:
...the reason Orlando didn't take MSU last year was because MSU had been in Orlando so often.

You can't keep the kiddies excitement contained in the Magic Kingdom.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hey Flablue  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey Flablue    Hey Flablue  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey Flablue
Page 1 of 1