Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama Empty
PostSubject: Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama   Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:33 am

"These were the non-conference opponents for the last six national champions, not coincidentally all from the SEC:

2011 Alabama - Kent State, Penn State, North Texas, Georgia Southern (FCS)

2010 Auburn - Arkansas State, Clemson, Louisiana-Monroe, Tennessee-Chattanooga (FCS)

2009 Alabama - Virginia Tech, Florida International, North Texas, Tennessee-Chattanooga (FCS)

2008 Florida - Hawaii, Miami (Fla.), Citadel (FCS), Florida State

2007 LSU - Virginia Tech, Middle Tennessee State, Tulane, Louisiana Tech

2006 Florida - Southern Mississippi, Central Florida, Western Carolina (FCS), Florida State

Of this sextet, only the 2007 LSU team did not face an FCS team and only the 2008 Florida team played more than one BCS conference team (boldface).

Now, this isn't an attempt to take a cheap shot at those SEC powerhouses, as they were only doing what maximizes their chances of winning the national championship. They surmised correctly that playing a soft non-conference schedule does not compromise a team's chances of getting into the BCS title game. What kills them is a loss in a non-conference game.

No team has ever won the BCS title after losing a non-conference game. And only the 2000 Florida State team, which lost to Miami, managed to even get to the BCS title game with a non-conference loss."

Full article here: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/9/5/3292069/college-football-rankings-bcs-standings-2012

I'm going to tackle this a bit more over at MGoRecruiting either today or tonight. Depends if I decide to do real work while AT work. cheers

EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama   Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 12:33 pm

OSU always has a cake non-con schedule. They follow this mold pretty well. The Alabama game was a great measuring stick and the perfect tool to temper expectations. I dont think anyone was seriously thinking Michigan would win the National Title this year.

I still say in three years we will have a roster that can compete with the SEC, the way they are recruiting now. I'd be all for a soft non-con lineup.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama   Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 1:20 pm

I agree with you EJ. I don't think anyone really thought we'd snatch the crystal this year.

However, we (Dave Brandon) needs to keep these 'statistics' in mind when scheduling future games.

I've written my post for MGoRecruiting, editing now. Probably will post tonight.

dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama   Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Admin: do you work as hard at your job as the azz-hole does at his? (jk!!)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama   Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 5:45 pm

dwoody wrote:
Admin: do you work as hard at your job as the azz-hole does at his? (jk!!)

haha....'hard work' is just such a subjective term...

cheers

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama   Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama Empty

Back to top Go down

Here's why you DON'T schedule a game like Alabama
Page 1 of 1