Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

National Signing Day tomorrow!

Go down 
+3
Wolverdog
Admin
1umgoblue85
7 posters
AuthorMessage
1umgoblue85

1umgoblue85

National Signing Day tomorrow! Empty
PostSubject: National Signing Day tomorrow!   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:59 am

Well, it's a little anticlimactic for UM, but who knows we may pick up a surprise or two.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: National Signing Day tomorrow!   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 am

You never know what could happen. Perhaps this rumor of a surprise will ring true (although...hell....anyone can make up a 'rumor' like that, because almost every single signing day brings about at least one unexpected event - whether good or bad).

I just keep trying to remind myself that we got out early and got a bunch of studs to commit. Ohio is making a run right now because they HAVE to make a run right now...doesn't look like they did a whole lot prior to this offseason.

We'll be fine.

But if Diggs or DG-B end up at Ohio....... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: National Signing Day tomorrow!   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 am

Agree, but maybe we should bank those schollies. Maybe hook the gray shirt up, Jeremy Clark.

I dunno.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Agreed...   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 am

Wolverdog wrote:
Agree, but maybe we should bank those schollies. Maybe hook the gray shirt up, Jeremy Clark.

I dunno.

Let's not waste them on kids we deep down don't expect much from.

Now, I'm pretty certain they'll be forced to hand out one garbage schollie to an OL guy if we don't land Diamond (they'll have to due to depth issues). But outside of that, most of our holes have been filled. Bank em.
Back to top Go down
1umgoblue85

1umgoblue85

PostSubject: Dog UM hooked Clark up   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:26 am

He is no longer a Gray shirt. Good for him!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: OK, I'm embarrassed to ask this....   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 am

1umgoblue85 wrote:

But what is a gray shirt?

I've literally read up on it to figure it out like 10 times....but I always a) forget, or b) don't truly understand it.

Fill this embarrassed lad in, please.
Back to top Go down
1umgoblue85

1umgoblue85

PostSubject: Gray Shirt   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:33 am

Grayshirt is another new term and is applied to the prospect that signs a letter of intent in February, but doesn't report in the fall with his teammates. He delays entry to college until midyear, i.e. January. That NCAA five-year clock doesn't start ticking until the player enrolls as a full time student, so gray-shirting is really a delayed version of red-shirting. For Example, Texas Tech, signed 34 players in February 2006, but NCAA rules prevent them from enrolling more than 25 to start the fall. Some of those nine other players gray-shirted during the 2006 fall season. They cannot enroll in college as full time students, can’t receive their scholarship, nor practice. It is like getting an extra year of practice, because most of these players don’t see the game field until two years later and they have the advantage of going through an extra spring practice.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: That's right....   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:36 am

it's all coming back to me now.

Thank you very much, 85.

'Preciate that.
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: National Signing Day tomorrow!   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:47 am

1umgoblue85 wrote:

Thanks, I hadn't heard that! Good for him.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Ok 85   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm

But if they don't enroll they can't practice with the team right?

And can they go to a local community college for that first term to get credits or does that start the eligibility?
Back to top Go down
1umgoblue85

1umgoblue85

PostSubject: No practice   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 pm

They cannot be a part of the team until they are enrolled full time. That means no practice according to NCAA rules. They can take classes part time at UM or classes elsewhere that will transfer in with credit.

Last edited by 1umgoblue85 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: That's why they come in Jan   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
But if they don't enroll they can't practice with the team right?

And can they go to a local community college for that first term to get credits or does that start the eligibility?

The following year. So a grey shirt from the 2012 class would enroll in Jan 2013 and get spring 2013, still can red shirt, so you could have him play 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.

Not sure about community college.
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: National Signing Day tomorrow!   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:22 pm

It would also give them a head up going to fall parctice. They would see how things are done see spring paractice and be able to work out in the summer and would be far and ahead of in comming freshmen.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Is that also the term they use when   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:35 pm

They get a kid to walk on and (sorta) promise him a schollie if/when one comes available?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: That's a preferred walk on. Greise was a preferred walk on.   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:07 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
They get a kid to walk on and (sorta) promise him a schollie if/when one comes available?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Right right right   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Dang, old age and Vicodin for a toothache really doesn't help my memory today! lol
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: National Signing Day tomorrow!   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:47 pm

What channel will have the coverage? ESPN U?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: ESPNU starts at 9:00A   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:49 pm

m
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: National Signing Day tomorrow!   National Signing Day tomorrow! EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:56 pm

That sucks! I don't get that at my office. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: National Signing Day tomorrow!   National Signing Day tomorrow! Empty

Back to top Go down

National Signing Day tomorrow!
Page 1 of 1