Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2014 RB update

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptyThu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm

So it looks like the 2014 RB picture is starting to get a bit clearer.

Within the last week Michigan coaches stopped in to see two of their top remaining RB targets for 2014, Joe Mixon and Kalen Ballage. Both kids want to narrow it down sooner rather than later.

Ballage already narrowed it down to Michigan, Nebraska, Boise State and Arizona State (in no particular order). Ballage saide he is still planning to make a visit to AA this summer after he's done with track.

Joe Mixon, got a visit by Coach Ferrigno yesterday and says Michigan is still very much in the mix. Mixon is going to set up his five official visits within the month and UM is a school he's still strongly considering.

I think once Ballage gets on campus he's going to be a heavy UM lean and I'm not saying that to sound like a UM homer. He's probably the best RB we have a really good shot with at this point.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptyThu May 02, 2013 5:24 pm

By the way, other posters on other forums have thrown out the idea of skipping altogether on an RB this year if we don't land an elite kid and take two next year. That thought never crossed my mind.

How do you guys feel about that? Is building depth every single year really that important?

Pros? Cons?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptyFri May 03, 2013 6:10 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
How do you guys feel about that? Is building depth every single year really that important?

Pros? Cons?

Yes it is. I know it is cliche, but one hit is all it take to end a season for any player. Depth is how you continue to win.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:20 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Pros? Cons?

Yes it is. I know it is cliche, but one hit is all it take to end a season for any player. Depth is how you continue to win.

Right, I understand and agree but given that we got two really good RBs last year (not even on campus I might add), and have three or four capable underclassmen fighting for playing time at the position I thought I'd throw it out there to debate.

My thought is, if there isn't room but a stud player wants to commit (say a Hand, Brown, Peppers, etc) we will make room for him. I know that sounds a bit SEC-like though.

Back to top Go down
MichiganFootball13

MichiganFootball13

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptyFri May 03, 2013 9:05 pm

I do not think that we should take a running back this year since Damien Harris (next years class) is almost a lock to come to Michigan according to many analysts and has the potential to be a top 5 running back (or top 5 overall I cant remember which but I will go with the "lesser"). I know the kid can change his mind in the next year or so but from what I have read he LOVES Michigan and will be a top flight recruit.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Damien-Harris-142684

EDIT: Highlight tape from Soph. year... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMJB2bFaw
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptyFri May 03, 2013 9:52 pm

No no no no no on Joe Mixon. The kid is all "me me me me".

My friend tweeted this:

"Joe Mixon's highlights are insane."..... And Joe Mixon retweeted it. For all you non Twitter folk', that means he had to search his own name. That is way too diva for my taste.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptySat May 04, 2013 12:43 am

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
No no no no no on Joe Mixon. The kid is all "me me me me".

My friend tweeted this:

"Joe Mixon's highlights are insane."..... And Joe Mixon retweeted it. For all you non Twitter folk', that means he had to search his own name. That is way too diva for my taste.

I did not know that. Maybe now I'm hoping UM isn't in his top 5 when he comes out with the list soon.

I still think it's Ballage or bust for the staff. His stats say he run's a 4.39 40 but that was hand timed. He ran the 40 a week after that and was timed in the 4.6 range which sounds a bit more likely for a 215lb guy.

My top RB target was Elijah Hood. I think that kid is gonna be good. Too bad he signed with ND.

Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptySat May 04, 2013 12:44 am

MichiganFootball13 wrote:
I do not think that we should take a running back this year since Damien Harris (next years class) is almost a lock to come to Michigan according to many analysts and has the potential to be a top 5 running back (or top 5 overall I cant remember which but I will go with the "lesser"). I know the kid can change his mind in the next year or so but from what I have read he LOVES Michigan and will be a top flight recruit.

EDIT: Highlight tape from Soph. year... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMJB2bFaw

Yep and don't forget Jacques Patrick is really starting to show some love to UM as well. The more I look at it the more I start to think that taking nobody this year and two next year doesn't look all that bad. That said, Fish's original comment about depth year after year is probably the safest bet.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update EmptySat May 04, 2013 12:51 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
MichiganFootball13 wrote:

Yep and don't forget Jacques Patrick is really starting to show some love to UM as well. The more I look at it the more I start to think that taking nobody this year and two next year doesn't look all that bad. That said, Fish's original comment about depth year after year is probably the safest bet.

and I forgot to mention that we're pretty much solid on our 2016 RB, Antonio Williams. He's going to be a top back as well. Roy Manning stopped in to see him last week and this is a quote from Williams..... "When I found out Michigan was in the building, I got really excited and started jumping up and down. They were a school I was really hoping to hear from."

Williams is a pro-style back. He's only a frosh and already weighs 195. He already holds offers from Georgia, Clemson, South Carolina, North Carolina and NC State.

During his visit Manning told his coaches that UM really wants him to come camp there this summer but I don't have a status on what he's going to do yet. I'll be sure to pass that on when I find out.

He's really interested in going to a top notch academic school too so that sets UM up nice to be in his final list.

One last thing to note, Williams ran for over 1500 yards last year against some tough competition as a freshman. And oh by the way, his team only won two games. Not too shabby

http://michigan.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=6516754
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2014 RB update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 RB update   2014 RB update Empty

Back to top Go down

2014 RB update
Page 1 of 1