Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Blimpy Burger

Go down 
+3
fishgoblue22
EJinGA
BetterThansparty
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

OT: Blimpy Burger Empty
PostSubject: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Blimpy closes Wednesday until its yet to be determined new location. There was a line out the door and half-way down the block when I went by it today a little after 5:00. If you are in the area and have ever been to Blimpy before you know the deal with it, you might want to stop by for a burger (but I suggest going during non-peak hours).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krazy-Jims-Blimpy-Burger/14566549949

Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 11:44 am

I'd give my left &%$ for a Halo Burger. I sure miss that place. White Castle too.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 am

EJinGA wrote:
I'd give my left &%$ for a Halo Burger. I sure miss that place. White Castle too.
Halo Burgers are the best. Whenever I'm up in MI visiting, I hit the one in Birch Run. It goes great with a Boston Cooler.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 2:09 pm

EJinGA wrote:
There are White Castle's all over SE Mich. and I used to live in Mid-Mich so I frequently went to Halo Burger. To tell you the truth I never thought that Halo Burger was anything great, sure it was ok for fast food but that's just what it was. Of course I think the same way of Blimpy Burger, I think the deal with Blimpy is just he style of it. It's basically the "Burger-Nazi" and I just note it here because it is/was a land-mark in Ann Arbor.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Down here we have a really bad White Castle clone called Krystals. No where near as good, and other than bar food, no great burger joints either. Maybe Checkers..... Nah...
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Never heard of it.

If you guys want to meet (or see) players, go to Bell's Pizza after 2:00 A.M. on a weekend. Promise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 pm

EJinGA wrote:
Down here we have a really bad White Castle clone called Krystals. No where near as good, and other than bar food, no great burger joints either. Maybe Checkers..... Nah...
Have you tried Fudruckers? Not as good as Halo burgers or fast food but pretty good burgers around here in Atlanta. If you want a really good burger at a sit down type restaurant, try Cheddars. GOOOOOD burgers! We frequent the one in Gainesville but, there is one in McDonough also. They have very good food.

Also, is this halo burgers the same as Bill Thomas' Halo Burgers? We used to go to the one in Flint YEARS ago. GREAT burgers.

Bill
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 3:50 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
Never heard of it.

If you guys want to meet (or see) players, go to Bell's Pizza after 2:00 A.M. on a weekend. Promise.
You never heard of Blimpy Burger? Wow. It's right by the Quads (West & South) and has been there forever. The University is buying the land for something but WOTS is that Blimpy is going to reappear somewhere.

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/two-hour-wait-for-a-blimpy-burger-see-what-people-are-saying-on-line-and-share-your-favorite-blimpy/

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 3:51 pm

I've done Fudruckers down in Florida, I believe.

Or maybe is was Fudpuckers? Aren't there both?

You mentioning a place called Cheddars reminds me a of little joint the girlfriend and I have hit twice in the last three weeks: Cheesies

It's a "gourmet" grilled cheese sandwich shop...and it's unbelievable.

Each time I've ordered The Tenderizer:
* Texas Toast
* Cheddar
* Two large chicken strips
* BBQ Sauce
* Provolone
* A dash of Frank's Red Hot Sauce

The girlfiend has ordered The Popper each time:
* Sourdough
* Green Peppers
* Cream Cheese
* Other ingredients I can't recall
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 pm

This probably doesn't even need to be said but for an awesome burger in Michigan go to Sidetrack's in Depot Town (Ypsilanti). The Wurst Bar (formerly Theo's) on Cross St. also in Ypsilanti also has really good burgers.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/ypsilanti/sidetrack-ypsilanti/

http://www.sidetrackbarandgrill.com/

https://foursquare.com/v/sidetrack-bar--grill/

Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 am

Nope, never heard of it. Kind of off-topic but you'd be surprised at the things I never heard of before moving downstate for college. To name a few:

-Meijer
-Bennigan's
-Q-Doba

among others.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 1:02 am

That's right, you're a Yooper...

Blimpy isn't a large chain or anything, just that one store. But it is an A2 icon. Seriously, picture the Soup Nazi as a Hippie that flips burgers, that is Blimpy.

It doesn't surprise me that you'd never heard of Bennigan's or Qdoba until moving down-state. Meijer is a little shocking until I rethink it and where you came from there aren't enough people to warrant a super-center. I seriously can't believe that you've never even heard of Blimpy as you were in good with the football team. Bell's Pizza is the closest thing that is open late night (on the weekends) to where they live so that makes sense. Blimpy is 2 blocks from West Quad so I'd think that some of the Freshmen at least mentioned it.

As a side-note, I never heard of Qdoba until I started working in Saginaw about 8 years ago. That's fine though as Ponchero's is so much better. There is a Qdoba on Washtenaw now though, wasn't when I was in school (not that I would have cared, Poncho's is better and Qdoba is miles away from campus).
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 6:21 am

BillMFan wrote:
EJinGA wrote:
Have you tried Fudruckers? Not as good as Halo burgers or fast food but pretty good burgers around here in Atlanta. If you want a really good burger at a sit down type restaurant, try Cheddars. GOOOOOD burgers! We frequent the one in Gainesville but, there is one in McDonough also. They have very good food.

Also, is this halo burgers the same as Bill Thomas' Halo Burgers? We used to go to the one in Flint YEARS ago. GREAT burgers.

Bill
Yep, Bill Thomas it is.

I remember a Fudruckers in MI, but I have not been to one down here. The Halo Burger in Flint is the one I always went to. Red Robin isnt too bad for burgers now that I think of it.

Hey, what was the place in Michigan that had the big rotating star thing?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 am

EJinGA wrote:
BillMFan wrote:
EJinGA wrote:

Bill
Yep, Bill Thomas it is.

I remember a Fudruckers in MI, but I have not been to one down here. The Halo Burger in Flint is the one I always went to. Red Robin isnt too bad for burgers now that I think of it.

Hey, what was the place in Michigan that had the big rotating star thing?
There was a big rotating star in Flint. I remember it, but can't think of the name.

How about Kogels hot dogs. Best in the world. You can now get them in Indiana. That was a dream come true for this guy. Cooking them on the grill is the best with some kraut and mustard.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 am

I just remembered it. Wally's!

Koegels were great. Down here we have Nathan's, which doesnt even come close.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 9:38 am

apparently I'm missing out...

I've never had Blimpy Burger.

Only those shitty Blimpy subs. lol! 
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 10:59 am

EJinGA wrote:
I just remembered it. Wally's!

Koegels were great. Down here we have Nathan's, which doesnt even come close.
Wally's. Yep, ate there a bunch of times.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 11:35 am

Has anyone ate at the Kruse and Muer in GB? That was my favorite.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Admin wrote:
apparently I'm missing out...

I've never had Blimpy Burger.

Only those shitty Blimpy subs. lol! 
I personally wasn't that big of a fan of the food at Blimpy, but as I've said before Blimpy is Ann Arbor. It is supposed to come back at a new location, not sure where yet but I've heard on Packard, near downtown, plus other rumors. It doesn't matter really, it won't be the same. Things change, oh well. You didn't miss anything really Admin. BTW, you've got until 8:00 tonight to get one (but yesterday the line was 2 hours long)...
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Us West Coast guys swear by In-N-Out. A double-double animal style always hits the spot.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 pm

In-n-Out is nothing special kind of a dried up version of White Castle.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
In-n-Out is nothing special kind of a dried up version of White Castle.
^^^ proof positive that admin does not drug test to post on this board ^^^
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 11:47 pm

There are In-n-Outs in Michigan too. I found a bunch of them in Western Michigan, there's one in Bay City, and I think there used to be one in Ypsilanti but it closed a long time ago. There is a vacant building shaped like those dumb restaurants on Washtenaw anyway. In-n-Out will always be the poor-man's White Castle.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 am

wrong in-n-out. the one I am talking about is only in a couple of states and they are out west. best burger EVER!
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:44 am

I'll let you know the next time that I go out to see my buddy in Huntington Beach.  The earliest would be December 28thish when Michigan makes the Rose Bowl, but if not then probably late summer next year.

Are there any around there?

As luck would have it there is one in Huntington Beach (18062 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach CA 92648). That better be a damn good burger, 2,260 miles...

Last edited by 2ndComingOfBo on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I looked and found some.)
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
I'll let you know the next time that I go out to see my buddy in Huntington Beach.  The earliest would be December 28thish when Michigan makes the Rose Bowl, but if not then probably late summer next year.

Are there any around there?

As luck would have it there is one in Huntington Beach (18062 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach CA 92648).  That better be a damn good burger, 2,260 miles...

the menu only has a few items on it. It's very minimal but like a lot of places there is a sort of secret menu meaning you can ask for things that aren't on the board. Get a double double animal style. it will come smothered with grilled onions. It's tasty as hell. the other thing is their fries are really good but they are the type of fries that you absolutely have to eat hot. don't get it to go and then wait until you get home. no bueno.

I think the thing I like most about in-n-out has nothing to do with their food. like most fast food places they employ a lot teens. the difference is these teens go through an additional personality screening during the interview process. I've been to several different locations and I've never once had bad service. As a matter of fact, i've never once felt like I was getting typical "teenager" service. I imaging that's the type of service a person would have gotten back in the 50s or 60s and for some reason that makes my food taste better Very Happy Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 am

http://www.michigandaily.com/node/73677

Construction to start on graduate residence hall

By Aaron Guggenheim, Daily Staff Reporter
Published September 16, 2013

Inside the dusty window of the old Blimpy Burger location on South Division Avenue hangs a sign thanking customers for their patronage during the restaurant's 60-year run.

Now fenced off, the building and four other neighboring properties recently purchased by the University will be prepared to be demolished to make way for a $185-million graduate residence hall funded in part by a $110-million gift from University alum Charles Munger.

A leaflet distributed to residents living on Thompson and Division streets near the site informed students of approaching construction days.

“Please be advised that demolition and construction activities are going to be commencing this week in the block north of Madison,” the pamphlet stated. “Fencing will be installed and demolition of the existing structures along Division and Madison will take place shortly thereafter. We will have further information in early October regarding construction details for the new Munger Graduate Housing building.”

Munger, along with Stephen Ross and Helen Zell, have been part of a spate of major donors in the past few years who have donated large sums to endow specific scholarships and programs, as well as fund the construction of campus buildings.

Housing resources will provide $75 million for the project. If construction stays on schedule, the building will be completed in summer 2015. Schematic designs will be unveiled before the University’s Board of Regents at their meeting on Thursday.

The new residence hall will house 630 graduate students — and potentially visiting faculty — in an eight-story, 370,000-square-foot building. The building will be split into groups of seven individual bedrooms and bathrooms joined to a shared kitchen and living space meant to encourage collaboration between graduate students.

Parking will not be provided to future residents.

Graduate students have expressed dismay about the purported cost — about $1,000 per month — and the proposed layout of the rooms.

In an interview after Wednesday’s forum, Hank Baier, associate vice president for faculties and operations, and E. Royster Harper, vice president of student affairs, said while the residence hall was not intended to meet the needs of all graduate students, they stressed that they would work on meeting some concerns, such as cost.

“We recognize that this is not for everyone, but (we) think it will be a wild success,” Baier said.

However, Harper added that there were limitations to what could be changed because the project featured the heavy personal involvement of Munger, who had previously funded the construction of a graduate residence hall at Stanford University.

“Certainly he has been engaged, certainly he has influenced our thinking … I would say he has been a good partner,” Harper said.

With construction beginning, the University can begin looking forward to the completion of a long cycle of renovations and building projects on its residence halls that has sought to make them competitive with the offerings of other top universities.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 am

By the way In and Out Burger in SoCal is terrific. There are not any in Michigan though there have been some with a similar name which I'm guessing is the confusion here.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 8:18 am

wshoes wrote:
By the way In and Out Burger in SoCal is terrific. There are not any in Michigan though there have been some with a similar name which I'm guessing is the confusion here.

'shoes
PS- folks may have been confusing "In and Out" burgers with "Hot and Now", which are not even remotely in the same league.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 4:29 pm

Yea, the "In and Out" and "Hot and Now" are basically interchangeable here. They both blow, same type of building and everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Blimpy Burger   OT: Blimpy Burger Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Blimpy Burger
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next