Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing Empty
PostSubject: Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing   Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 3:20 am

http://www.michigandaily.com/node/73781

By Greg Garno, Daily Sports Writer
Published September 19, 2013

The Athletic Department took trolling to a whole new level.

Thursday, the department admitted it paid for skywritten messages across southeast Michigan that appeared on Friday and Saturday, including one that read “Go Blue” over Spartan Stadium, in East Lansing prior to Michigan State’s game against Youngstown State. MLive originally reported the news Thursday.

Michigan spokesperson Dave Ablauf said the company hired to write messages, OregonAero SkyDancer out of Tucson, Ariz., was not asked to target specific areas.

“We hired the skywriters to canvas southeast Michigan with slogans and numbers prior to our game last Saturday,” Ablauf said to MLive. “That’s all we did. We didn’t target locations.”

Chief Marketing Officer Hunter Lochmann said on Twitter that the athletic department paid for 55 messages at about $100 a piece. Lochmann also said this is the fourth time Oregon Aero SkyDancer has been hired for its services.

One pilot for Oregon Aero SkyDancer, Suzanne Asbury-Oliver, contradicted Ablauf’s statement that the Athletic Department did not set target locations, saying she was asked to hit Lansing.

“Just Lansing — they didn’t say East Lansing,” she said to MLive. “I think that was mid-morning on Saturday. They wanted our last writing to be right before kickoff for their game, which was noon (in Ann Arbor). So I think we were 10 o’clock or something over there.”

Ablauf said that messages ranged from “Go Blue” and “Hail” to a Block ‘M’ and 906, for Michigan’s number of wins.

Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis called the act “an irritant” Wednesday, but changed his tone on Thursday.

“There’s no apology necessary,” Hollis said to Mlive. “This is another whimsical episode in a great rivalry.”

Everyone knows how much I detest sparty, and I'll admit I cracked a smile when I first read joe's post about it. However, that was not a Michigan-like thing to do. I'd be ashamed if it was a big deal. I'm not proud of Michigan for doing that but it wasn't necessary.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: What to Watch for: Connecticut   Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 am

http://www.michigandaily.com/node/73739

What to Watch for: Connecticut

By Everett Cook, Daily Sports Editor
Published September 18, 2013

1. Does Al Borges change the interior offensive line?

All season long, offensive coordinator Al Borges has said that the starters for the offensive line are penciled in. To be fair, the tackle positions are written in pen and then stenciled over in Sharpie — fifth-year seniors Taylor Lewan and Michael Schofield aren’t going anywhere.

The three interior linemen, though, could be on the move. Borges isn’t pleased with the production of those three spots, particularly in how the group is run blocking. If there was any week for a switch, it would be the one before a bye week.

The trio of linemen — redshirt sophomores Graham Glasgow and Jack Miller and redshirt freshman Kyle Kalis — had all never started a game at the collegiate level before this season. They’ve shown flashes of cohesion and talent, like late drives against Akron and Notre Dame that allowed fifth-year senior running back Fitzgerald Toussaint to gash the run defense, but haven’t been consistent enough to warrant the same Sharpie treatment.

On Wednesday, Michigan coach Brady Hoke listed three players — redshirt sophomore Chris Bryant and redshirt freshmen Ben Braden and Erik Magnuson — who could potentially see a bigger role Saturday. Bryant, in particular, drew a big response.

“Chris Bryant’s a guy that we’ve been excited about,” Hoke said. “He's been banged up a year ago. Had a little bit early in fall camp and probably right in the middle. He got a little banged up again, but he’s back and playing awfully hard.”

If a change is going to come, it will be now or during the bye week before Big Ten play starts. Saturday will be a good road test for this young interior, but it might be the last chance they get to prove to Borges they can be a solid group in between the stud tackles.

“We’re going to continue to force people to compete at the position,” Borges said. “It’s that simple. But to say we’re going to start firing guys left and right, no. We knew if we go through this there’s going to be some growing pains, and there has been in the first three games.”

2. Does Gardner make another costly error late in the game?

In each of the last two contests, redshirt junior quarterback Devin Gardner has made a costly mistake late in the game, both of which allowed the opponent to get back in the game. Without those turnovers, Michigan likely wouldn’t have had to sweat out close finishes (then again, without Gardner, the Wolverines likely wouldn’t have even been there in the first place).

Does this happen again Saturday, in Michigan’s first road contest of the year? All week, the talk from the coaching staff has been about Gardner making the right decisions while also maintaining the aggression and playmaking ability that make him such a dangerous weapon.

“Those are the plays you have to say, ‘Well, when do I cut my losses?’ ” Borges said. “You heard me say it with Denard all the time. When do you do it? There’s a fine line between being a playmaker and making a bad decision. Sometimes, the playmakers step over that line and sometimes the playmakers supposedly step over that line and make a play. So, as a coach, you have to make sure you keep them aggressive, you can’t scare them into playing cautiously.”

One way or the other, Gardner keeping the ball out of the hands of Husky defenders is going to have a massive impact on this game.

3. How do the young players respond in their first road contest?

Early this week, UConn announced that the game Saturday had already sold out, and that it will be the largest crowd in the history of Rentschler Field. Granted, there will be an enormous Michigan contingent there, but it will still be a different, intimidating atmosphere for freshmen or younger players who have never played anywhere but the Big House.

Why have the Wolverines struggled so much on the road the last couple years? According to Hoke, it’s “turnovers, turnovers, turnovers,” but that he has “no idea” why they are happening more on the road than at home.

On Saturday, look to see if those freshman nerves led to the turnovers Hoke so desperately wants to avoid.

4. Do wide receivers not named Gallon get involved?

Freshman tight Jake Butt — who looked more like a wide receiver than a tight end in spring camp — is tied for third on this team in receptions.

But does that say more about his performance or the performances of the other veteran wide receivers that were supposed to make an impact this year?

Besides for fifth-year senior Jeremy Gallon, no other wide out has done much to establish themselves. Senior Jeremy Jackson has three catches. Fifth-year seniors Drew Dileo and Joe Reynolds have five and three catches, respectively.

It’s not just the veterans — redshirt freshman Jehu Chesson caught his first career pass last week.

Against Notre Dame, Gallon could do it all by himself, but it won’t be like that every game. Who else will step up?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing   Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 6:41 pm

This from MgoBlog... I thought it was funny enough to share.

A LIST OF THINGS THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MAYBE WORTH YOUR TIME TO SKYWRITE OVER SPARTAN STADIUM.

68-32-5
GO STAEE
WE WANT TERRY
FIRE IZZO
WHERE ARE MY PANTS
HOW DO I LAND
TREY BURKE STEAL DOT JPG

Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing   Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm

I guess it would have been kinda amusing to see the entire student section at sparty stadium break out their scientific calculators in an attempt to solve that immense equation (68-32-5). You'd see the "smarter spartys" jumping around and yelling "31!" with glee...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing   Michigan athletic department paid for skywritten message above Lansing Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1