Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

In another topic

Go down 
+3
nosroc
Go_Blue
joe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:46 pm

one of the mods left this.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/b1g-big-12-helmet-concepts-hit-web/2/

Now, is it me? AM I an old fogie?

These things look like XFL helmets. They look like gameboy helmets. (is there even a gameboy thingy still?)

These things don't look like FOOTBALL helmets. They look like Hockey Goalie Masks.

I almost said that I hoped a player didn't pick a school because of the helmets. (Then I remembered what forum I was in and who I root for! Shocked )

I LIKE OSU's Helmets (minus the pot leaves)

I LIKE Notre Dame's Helmets.

I LIKE Penn St's Helmets.

I dunno. Maybe it feels like then the inmates would be running the asylum.

I am not afraid of change. When I worked in corporate america I was always the one embracing change.

But none of that was change simply for change's sake.

I'm what's commonly known as a curmudgeon when it comes to College Traditions.

I'd be interested in knowing what you guys think and how old you are just to see if this is a generational thing.

Go_Blue

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Companies are taping into the younger generation. Oregon started the trend and when they had success, everyone else started to follow suit. I am not a fan of it, but to each his or her own.

I know one thing is for sure, UM will never have to worry about some crazy helmet changes. Some things in life should never be messed with and UM's helmets will be the same long after I have left this Earth!

joe

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Well, I sure hope so.

These damn young whippersnappers!!! lol

Yeah, I know. It's all about the Benjamins.

I'm too traditional. I don't even like the numbers on the helmets.

GIMME WINGS!

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:09 pm

I love the Michigan helmets. I seldom see other ones that I like. Some of the ones mentioned above such as Ohio State and Notre Dame and Penn State are ok. Michigan State is ok too. I do not like Oregon. By the way I am 78 years old and normally like change. But when it comes to helmets I hesitate. Seeing some of the sweater changes this past season were ok. I do not like going to black or dark colors. Again I thought Oregon was horrible.
Back to top Go down
nosroc

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:11 pm

What other suggestions would you suggest other than wings?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't want anything but the wings Ed.

And I've never really thought about the color of the faceguard.

Some of those uni's this year were God Awful too Ed. I don't know what Maryland was thinking. And MSU's uni's for our game sucked. Couldn't even come close to seeing the kid's name on his jersey.

Words can't even describe my feelings on Oregon's uni's.

Good to see you

lovetheblue1217

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:26 pm

I cannot picture anything but the good ol winged helmets we have (prior to the numbers). I have always like those helmets and in fact I got to use that same design when I played in HS

fishgoblue22

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:29 pm

I loved the numbers and grey facemasks.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Maryland was going for attention, good or bad, didn't matter.

(I'm sure they were hoping for good, but the point for them was simply to get people talking about Maryland football. And it worked...what team was talked about more than them after Week 1? Nobody, imho)

As for the helmets, in general, even at my age, I'm very much a traditionalist. Let the schools with zero history continue to create new uni's each year to try and draw some buzz.

We don't need to. We've already got the best uni's in all of sports.

I liked our retro's for the ND game...didn't care so much for the ones used in the MSU game. I liked the #'d helmets for those occasions, but not for every week (same with the grey facemask).

I honestly just wish we would go back to Nike. Tell them to not even bother with coming up with new designs (particularly stay the F away from us with those combat uni's). That company knows us well enough to know what they can and can't do.

But, again, I'm a traditionalist, although I'm definitely a part of the 'younger' generation referred to above.

The wings are the most recognizable symbol in sports, in my opinion. You veer away from those, and we've lost our biggest branding.

stjotoo

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:09 am

Many years ago (in the days of leather headgears and evolving plastic "shells") they were always one color, usually the darker of the school's colors. Michigan's helmuts were the traditional solid navy blue. Manufacturers made designs of various leather strips over the shell but most teams chose to keep the solid color. One of the earlier Michigan coaches (Crisler ?) decided to paint the leather strips yellow in an effort to make them more recognizeable. Michigan then became the first team to have a truly different appearance to the helmuts. Look how that change has evolved into the various appearances of today's headgears, but Michigan still has the "winged" look which started with the leather helmuts. I personally do not like the number on the sides, but still the basic look has not changed. At one time, Bo had those godawful stickers between the stripes, which (IMO) looked awful, but the tradition stopped after a short time. Michigan's helmuts remain the most recognizable ones in football.

In another topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: In another topic   In another topic Empty

Back to top Go down

In another topic
Page 1 of 1