Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The defense will be back on Saturday

Go down 
+4
EJinGA
mgoblue93
michmike
MgoBlue
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MgoBlue

The defense will be back on Saturday Empty
PostSubject: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 9:17 am

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131028/SPORTS0201/310280029/Greg-Mattison-vows-defense-will-back-against-Michigan-State?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 10:07 am

Hey, Mgo---  I didn't post this immediately after the IU game for fear of being banned for its (to all appearances) sheer lunacy---but:

Do you think there could be any chance at all that our UN-defense against the Hoosiers, for the first 3 quarters, say, was all a ploy???   To engender overconfidence, and under-reaction/preparation, in our next opponent (MSU)?   When you think of how easily IU's runners and especially receivers found open space when the game was up in the air (and when BH, AB and GM all knew we could score at will on them), yet come crunch time, suddenly, from out of nowhere comes Thomas Gordon to pick a couple passes? (One with IU in the red zone).

Assinine as that sounds, let me say this: if any coach is astute, crafty and experienced enough to exploit "reverse psychology" in any of its guises to his team's advantage, it's coach Matty.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am

as much as I'd like to believe this is possible, i don't think there's anyway a coach would take that risk -for three quarters. i dont know...i suppose it's possible.

maybe Matty is using psychology, on the opposite side of the spectrum, that Urban Liar is on. Instead of intimidation and demoralization that Liar used as he ran up the score vs PSU, Mattison is painting a false perception of his defense, only to ambush future game plans? So sandbagging..it's possible, but I think he cut it too close with PSU and IU if so.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:38 am

And to add to this conspiracy theory, they WANTED Gallon to break the single game receiving record...
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:18 pm

No mike I don't think it was a ploy. I TBI k they just weren't ready for the speed that IU plays offense. I'm not concerned about the D vs sparty, I'm worried about turnovers and scoring points.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:46 pm

I think it is as simple as the fact that Mattison (and historically Mich defenses from Lloyd forward) struggle against wide open multi-faceted offenses. App state was not an anomaly.

MSU's more traditional man ball offense is just what our defense needs to perform a whole lot better.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:31 pm

mgoblue93 wrote:
as much as I'd like to believe this is possible, i don't think there's anyway a coach would take that risk -for three quarters.  i dont know...i suppose it's possible.  

maybe Matty is using psychology, on the opposite side of the spectrum, that Urban Liar is on.  Instead of intimidation and demoralization that Liar used as he ran up the score vs PSU, Mattison is painting a false perception of his defense, only to ambush future game plans?  So sandbagging..it's possible, but I think he cut it too close with PSU and IU if so.  
Especially since over the last few years UM has had a knack for allowing teams to stick around for three quarters and not put them away early (be it a mistake, turnover, whatever) when they had the chance and next thing you know we're either squeaking out a win or losing. No way we let Indy stick in for 3 quarters just to bury them late. Interesting theory though. Guys like you thinking out of the box keep me interested and entertained Very Happy 

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 7:47 pm

michmike wrote:
Hey, Mgo---  I didn't post this immediately after the IU game for fear of being banned for its (to all appearances) sheer lunacy---but:

Do you think there could be any chance at all that our UN-defense against the Hoosiers, for the first 3 quarters, say, was all a ploy???   To engender overconfidence, and under-reaction/preparation, in our next opponent (MSU)?   When you think of how easily IU's runners and especially receivers found open space when the game was up in the air (and when BH, AB and GM all knew we could score at will on them), yet come crunch time, suddenly, from out of nowhere comes Thomas Gordon to pick a couple passes? (One with IU in the red zone).

Assinine as that sounds, let me say this: if any coach is astute, crafty and experienced enough to exploit "reverse psychology" in any of its guises to his team's advantage, it's coach Matty.
Unfortunately this sounds like rationalization for a sub-par performance. I can't believe that Michigan would even think about doing that. Hey mike, is your pseudo-name Ace Williams?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The defense will be back on Saturday   The defense will be back on Saturday Empty

Back to top Go down

The defense will be back on Saturday
Page 1 of 1