Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Bullying in the NFL

Go down 
+5
mgoblue93
Admin
MgoBlue
dwoody
EJinGA
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EJinGA

OT: Bullying in the NFL Empty
PostSubject: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 am

I was wondering what you all thought about the situation in Miami.

I understand hazing to a point, but their job is to win football games. It seems stupid to treat your own team mates so badly, especially when you both have the same job and goal.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 am

Incognito should be out of the NFL. Sadly, too many like him in America today.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 9:40 am

What good does it do a team to behave like this, let alone the damage it may do to the targeted player? Can a millionaire NFL lineman really be that insecure that he has to attack his own team mate?
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 10:04 am

dwoody wrote:
Incognito should be out of the NFL. Sadly, too many like him in America today.
+100. Nobody better sign him after this. He should go back to whatever cave he was raised in and live out the rest of his life.

What happened here was not hazing. He threatened to hurt him and that goes beyond what should be accepted in football. There is a big difference between making someone carry your equipment and what this fucking loser did.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 11:51 am

Crazy situation going on down there.

A few thoughts come to mind:

1.) I'm not even 30, but still believe in the old-school way of handling crap like this: with your fists. At some point this Martin kid should've stood up for himself.

1b) That doesn't mean I blame this kid, nor should he have had to deal with such a racist rat bastard like Incognito. I'm not making excuses for either one of them.

2.) Hazing, if administered 'properly' and with the 'right' intentions can be a very good thing. I was hazed the shit out of in college for my fraternity. Our pledgeship lasted 6 months (the longest on campus). We were at the house doing our dailys (cleaning) all day. We had to be there from 5-2am every night to do whatever the brothers wanted us to do. The actual hazing part of it was BRUTAL, ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL. However, if it wasn't for a group of us 30 guys being put in those awful situations together, as consistently as we were, we would have NEVER developed the bond that we still all have today, nearly 5 years removed from graduation. We would have just been a collection of random clowns living under the same roof. Instead, we all became best friends and brothers, almost to the truest sense of the word.

mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 pm

What I find most disturbing about this story, is that ESPN initially labeled Incognito's texts and voicemails as "disturbing," without considering or bringing to light the subject of hazing, and as if Incognito's comments of threatening to kill his mother were literal, psychotic, and serious; which we find out that they were anything but, as this is a case of hazing.  

The way they broke this story was completely deceiving.  Incognito might have taken his comments too far, and even then, did he really?  He obviously isn't serious about killing Martin's mother.  This is the norm in an NFL locker room.  Likewise this is no different than hazing in a fraternity.  Why wasn't this initially reported?
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:42 pm

mgoblue93 wrote:
What I find most disturbing about this story, is that ESPN initially labeled Incognito's texts and voicemails as "disturbing," without considering or bringing to light the subject of hazing, and as if Incognito's comments of threatening to kill his mother were literal, psychotic, and serious; which we find out that they were anything but, as this is a case of hazing.  

The way they broke this story was completely deceiving.  Incognito might have taken his comments too far, and even then, did he really?  He obviously isn't serious about killing Martin's mother.  This is the norm in an NFL locker room.  Likewise this is no different than hazing in a fraternity.  Why wasn't this initially reported?
I am sorry regardless of intentions there is no place for this. Are we that desensitized that threatening to kill ones mom is acceptable as long as we don't really mean it? It amazes me with everything we see in the news people still blow off threats. Most mass shootings had warning signs, typically threats prior to the event. Still, we sit here and want to debate intent. The world gets sadder everyday. No 
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Did you see on ESPN where they played the interview with him on hazing Tannehill? He made Ryan buy him a freakin' jetski!
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:34 pm

To them and their $$, that would be like you making me buy you a beer!
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:43 pm

dwoody wrote:
To them and their $$, that would be like you making me buy you a beer!
I like Sierra Nevada Torpedo...
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:55 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:

I am sorry regardless of intentions there is no place for this.  Are we that desensitized that threatening to kill ones mom is acceptable as long as we don't really mean it?  It amazes me with everything we see in the news people still blow off threats.  Most mass shootings had warning signs, typically threats prior to the event.  Still, we sit here and want to debate intent.  The world gets sadder everyday.  No 
lol mmkay.

it is sad. sad that people associate this as a warning sign for a possible mass shooting or murder. it's sad how easily the media has us by the strings.

he left multiple texts and voice mails dude. it's hazing and nothing more.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:05 pm

mgoblue93 wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:

I am sorry regardless of intentions there is no place for this.  Are we that desensitized that threatening to kill ones mom is acceptable as long as we don't really mean it?  It amazes me with everything we see in the news people still blow off threats.  Most mass shootings had warning signs, typically threats prior to the event.  Still, we sit here and want to debate intent.  The world gets sadder everyday.  No 
lol mmkay.

it is sad.  sad that people associate this as a warning sign for a possible mass shooting or murder.  it's sad how easily the media has us by the strings.

he left multiple texts and voice mails dude.  it's hazing and nothing more.
Yeah, but it's hazing by a true nutcase. I agree with you about the media, but who is to say this guy isn't capable of hurting someone.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 pm

mgoblue93 wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:

lol mmkay.

it is sad.  sad that people associate this as a warning sign for a possible mass shooting or murder.  it's sad how easily the media has us by the strings.

Where do you draw the line? Wait until he kills his mother and then say oh shit I guess he meant it? Quit with the media crap too. Sure they sensationalize stuff but I what I referred to was factual evidence that was left behind after a mass shooting. The media didn't make it up.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Incognito is an idiot, but Martin is a pussy too. Martin should have punched him in the face and had a good old fashioned fight.

Not condoning Incognito's comments but where I come from you don't put up with it. You stand up to the guy and beat him down. If you can't beat him down you try your best and if he woops your ass, you will still earn respect and put an end to all of this.

My view is different for kids, but these are grown ass men.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 3:28 pm

mgoblue93 wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:

lol mmkay.

93, are you sure that it's nothing more than hazing? Are you insisting that it has no affect on the individual in question? Pretty safe to say that James Holmes, Cho Seung-Hui, and Adam Lanza were bullied. How did that work out? I'm not saying that Jonathan Martin will go on a killing spree now but you get my point...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:

lol mmkay.

Where do you draw the line?  Wait until he kills his mother and then say oh shit I guess he meant it?  Quit with the media crap too.  Sure they sensationalize stuff but I what I referred to was factual evidence that was left behind after a mass shooting.  The media didn't make it up.
you draw the line by specific cases (every situation is different.) Incognito had no motive to kill Martin's mother, duh. Do you really think he was threatening his family and by leaving txt and voicemails where it could all be traced to him?? He was bullying the guy. I don't agree with it, but it's CLEAR he's just being a jerk. He said he was going to shit in his mouth and then he laughed. There are jerks and bullies like this on every football team, and this is normal to hear in every locker room. I love how some of these media nerds think it's exclusive to the Dolphins. What a bunch of d'bags.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 4:55 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Incognito is an idiot, but Martin is a pussy too. Martin should have punched him in the face and had a good old fashioned fight.

Not condoning Incognito's comments but where I come from you don't put up with it. You stand up to the guy and beat him down. If you can't beat him down you try your best and if he woops your ass, you will still earn respect and put an end to all of this.

My view is different for kids, but these are grown ass men.
Agree with all of your post, and I haven't heard an NFL player yet come out and defend Martin, but all who have offered to comment have defended Incognito. He may be a jerk, but he's not the only jerk in the NFL who hazes. Martin's a fuckin coward and he ought to have his ass kicked. Totally agree with the standup part. If he stood up for himself and got his ass kicked, this would be done with, and his rookie status would be over as well. This is how it works.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:

lol mmkay.

93, are you sure that it's nothing more than hazing?  Are you insisting that it has no affect on the individual in question?  Pretty safe to say that James Holmes, Cho Seung-Hui, and Adam Lanza were bullied.  How did that work out?  I'm not saying that Jonathan Martin will go on a killing spree now but you get my point...
i think you're lost on the thread.  Incognito IS the bully and he's the one with the "im going to kill you and your mom" texts.  What warning signs do we have of Martin?  lol comparing Martin to extreme high profile murderers.

look, tragedies happen that are probably caused in some part by hazing.  My original point was, why didn't the media report this as hazing, but report it as disturbing threats, and as an isolated incident instead?  I'll tell you why:  Incognito, being the dumbass that he is, told Adam Schefter to "bring it" on twitter.  Not smart by all accounts, so this whole story reeks of irresponsibility, and is doing the general public a disservice.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 8:09 pm

When a person receives constant hazing eventually it reaches a point where they can not take any more. They blow-up and then you get mass killings (if the individual in question also has underlying mental health issues). Therefore, Incognito could be considered to be enabling a mass murder. Do I think that Martin will go on a shooting rampage? No, I believe (although do not know him personally) that he will simply move on from this. But he had a very good support system growing up with intelligent parents who had money and were still together. Those circumstances do not necessarily guarantee prosperity (Holmes had everything, etc.) but not having structure can lead to other issues.

I just heard a comment on CBS radio equating Incognito to "Biff" from 'Back to the Future'. To tell you the truth, I can't really disagree with that.

But now you are yelling at the media for reporting? You are the same as "Biff's" friends who laughed and did nothing in response to his senseless acts.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Oh so all you have to do is fight the bully. Win or lose he will just stop then. Great stuff guys. The win part I might buy. I really doubt if the bully beats the shit out of the guy he will just leave him alone.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 11:22 pm

Did I say anything about fighting the nimrod? Incognito is just an ass, like "Biff" was...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:32 am

Some of you really think that punching the guy is the right way to solve this?

If I'm being initiated or "hazed" at my job, I'm not going to risk losing my job by punching the asshole doing the "hazing". I'm going to ignore the prick and tell my manager.

Playing football is Jonathan Martin's job. You honestly think it is in the best interest of Martin and his family for Martin to retaliate "hazing" with violence? I don't.

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 3:50 am

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-miami-dolphins-bullying-situation/

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 am

obviously some of us here have not been hazed.

final point: incognito's behavior is common in an NFL locker room and hazing is part of the culture.  so much so, that a few coaches like george siefert and tony dungy banned hazing, as they viewed it as a distraction.  

most coaches allow it, and some even encourage it, as they view it as beneficial to team chemistry, morale, weeding out the pussies, etc. (It's not necessarily my view, coaching styles vary, so it is what it is.)

and yes, punching incognito would have immediately earned his respect likewise the rest of the team's respect.  it's an nfl locker room.  fights happen and football is a violent sport.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 am

mgoblue93 wrote:
obviously some of us here have not been hazed.

final point: incognito's behavior is common in an NFL locker room and hazing is part of the culture.  so much so, that a few coaches like george siefert and tony dungy banned hazing, as they viewed it as a distraction.  

most coaches allow it, and some even encourage it, as they view it as beneficial to team chemistry, morale, weeding out the pussies, etc. (It's not necessarily my view, coaching styles vary, so it is what it is.)

and yes, punching incognito would have immediately earned his respect likewise the rest of the team's respect.  it's an nfl locker room.  fights happen and football is a violent sport.
Some of have been and have done it ourselves.  You stand up for yourself as a man.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:09 am

It's a distraction, pure and simple. The team is trying to win football games, and now they have to deal with this. Their are other ways to toughen up Martin, other than sending the team neandrethal after him. It's the coach's job to man the kid up.

If I was the owner, I would be super pissed that my team even has to deal with it.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:32 am

Mike Ditka did not allow it and does not believe in it, anyone question his toughness credentials?

'shoes
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:49 am

I never said I condone it, but you do have to stand up for yourself.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I never said I condone it, but you do have to stand up for yourself.
Agreed.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 am

fishblue22, where do you work that you would be able to keep your job after punching a co-worker? I'd be fired, and frankly, a prick that is "hazing" me doesn't deserve the satisfaction of getting me fired. If I'm having issues like that in the work place, my manager can deal with it.

Now if I'm at a bar and someone says they are going to kill my mother, that is a different story.

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bullying in the NFL   OT: Bullying in the NFL Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Bullying in the NFL
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL FORUM-
Jump to: