Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How much will Devin play next year?

Go down 
+6
WillieMfan
exmichresident
Wolverdog
michmike
fishgoblue22
BetterThansparty
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

How much will Devin play next year? Empty
PostSubject: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 am

Will it be pretty much the same or will they incorporate more plays involving both Devin and Denard on the field at the same time? I for one, hope they take the restraints off of Devin a little this year and let the guy throw (that is IF he can both understand the routes run by our WR's and the defensive coverages).

I hope to see more plays with Denard as a decoy, that guy receives a ton of attention anyway, and IF Devin is capable, let him throw the ball down-field. Or perhaps even pull a Boise Statesque Statue of Liberty.

How confident is everyone if, God for-bid, Denard goes down?

Question Question Question

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:17 am

I know a lot of people say that Devin hasn't shown anything yet, but I disagree. He was the reason UM won at Illinois last year. He was poised in the pocket and controled the game offensively.

I think once he gets a shot to run the offense, he will be really good. However, I don't think his full time shot should come until DR is gone.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:11 am

ALSO--- the Northwestern game. He may not have been the reason we ultimately won (down 10 at the half), but he had some very important plays...like the third-and-5 end-around run to barely make the first down that got us the first and goal in the third, enabling us to pull within three, and put the pressure right back on them (which they couldn't handle).
And this ON THE ROAD...

Have to agree with you both to some extent. Denard is our '12 starting QB...END OF STORY. But 2012 might be a good season to draw the line between "starting" and "full-time". As Brady and Al proved last year, no need to be both. I'm hoping DG works into the schemes a bit more this
year, not only because he's earned it with his patience, but for experience (1) if, horror of horrors, DR goes down, and (2) the starting job in '13.
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 am

His attitude may determine how much he plays. Being late to practice and/or meetings and just going thru the motions won't cut it. Word is this is what happened late in the season, also hanging out with questionable characters.

I wish him the best, including playing time, but it needs to be earned.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Never heard that, but he did disapear from the game plan after MSU.   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:55 am

Wolverdog wrote:
His attitude may determine how much he plays. Being late to practice and/or meetings and just going thru the motions won't cut it. Word is this is what happened late in the season, also hanging out with questionable characters.

I wish him the best, including playing time, but it needs to be earned.
Back to top Go down
exmichresident

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 am

I think he has looked out of place most of the time. Yea, one good pass, I believe in the ILL game. So far, I'm disappointed. "Tuck and Run". Bring on Morris.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 am

Kids in a tough spot. His playing time mostly consisted of spur of the moment "get in the game" sets with Denard. Tough to get in a rhythm like that. The most passing attempts he had was the MSU game in hurricane force wins.

I really hope he gets his time to shine once Denard graduates. As far as I can tell the kid has never complained about PT and always seem positive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Lllloyd dealt with two good QBs...   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 pm

maybe Devin should get a few starts this season, use Denard in the O. If things don't go well, back to QB.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:34 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
As far as I can tell the kid has never complained about PT and always seem positive.

This was back when he was in High School at Inkster, but I never saw him hanging around his teammates. He was either by himself or talking to Coaches when I saw him. That could be because his athletic ability was so superior to that of most of his teammates but that is no reason to be a cock about it. Talk to your teammates while on the sideline, it's High School. Relax and have some fun. That was the last time you will ever be allowed to just "have fun" on the sideline. Even though you're still an amateur athlete at Michigan, Football is your job. After you leave Michigan, Football will be your career, if you make it (God-willing).

I've never met DG personally but have heard through numerous people that he was whineing for playing time. I haven't seen him much on the side-line at Michigan (as most games I see now are on TV) although when I have he's wearing a head-set and signaling plays in (or trying to get loose to go in real quick for a play or two).

And of course I'm not sure how reliable this information is as I heard it on "the other forum" but was DG considering transferring? He didn't, and I doubt he does this year as he is the heir apparent to the throne next year. So I would venture to guess that DG is "all in" this year. That reason alone makes me think that we'll see more of DG on the field this year. Seeing more of DG on the field and not wanting to jeopardize Denard's heralth, I think that we see more down-field passes from Denard this year. Think about it, everyone knows that Denard doesn't have tremendous accuracy on throws over 15 yards, you can only have so many people cover "jump balls", so teams will have 7 or even 8 in the box on every play. Why not let Devin show off his arm? All of this depends on protection though...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:35 pm

dwoody wrote:
maybe Devin should get a few starts this season, use Denard in the O. If things don't go well, back to QB.

That is kinda what I was hinting at although would you want to take the risk of Denard getting hurt just as a decoy?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:41 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
dwoody wrote:

That is kinda what I was hinting at although would you want to take the risk of Denard getting hurt just as a decoy?

Who said he'd have to be a decoy. His speed + Devin's arm would make him a good downfield receiver, maybe. However, I never played a down of organized FB and am certainly no expert (at that).
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:44 pm

DR is projecting as a wr for the NFL. Could get a jump on his career early.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm definitely against 'giving him a few start'.

Shoelace is the QB, and he starts every game.

I can handle the plays when denard is in the slot, typically running an end-around (whether he gets the ball or not). But the problem with that variation was it was very simplistic, and after 2 games of it, opposing DC's game planned easily for it. Al should spend some serious time this summer working on stuff like this. That will mainly depend one DG though. To me, there's no point in doing any of that if DG can't play as a fully capable qb...meaning he needs to improve his passing game big time. Without the true threat of him throwing the ball, that formation will 75% of the time be a run, and opposing D's will 100% of the time play for that run, subsequently shutting it down.

But, even after I say all that, my preference would be that Denard improves significantly in the passing game and we have zero reason to ever put DG on the field. Give him garbage time. Hope for the best in 2013 from DG. Then, bring on Shane.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
DR is projecting as a wr for the NFL. Could get a jump on his career early.

But what scares the HELL out of me is, have you ever seen some of those hits WRs take when they have to come back for a ball? Say DG under-throws one to Denard. Denard, being the competitor he is, comes back for it then gets crushed between a DB and a Safety. Yea, maybe a 15 yard personal foul is called. Big deal, Denard is out for a minimum of 2 games, not a good trade IMO.

Evil or Very Mad

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 am

Bet it is similar to this past season. Hoke and Borges will use him at various times to keep Denard "fresh" as the season goes on. Will use him at times with him and Denard both in the game, and he'll be used at the end of games that UM has wrapped up.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 4:12 pm

eGrandpa wrote:
Bet it is similar to this past season. Hoke and Borges will use him at various times to keep Denard "fresh" as the season goes on. Will use him at times with him and Denard both in the game, and he'll be used at the end of games that UM has wrapped up.

I see Devin playing a largr part in the offense next year, between the 20's though mostly. Denard will get most of the TD's as he is a Heisman candidate, unless it's later in the year and he is already out of contention. Then I can see a fake to Denard and someone else gets the TD, that would be effective against the suckeyes.

Butu yes, Devin will get mop up time as well at the end of games...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 7:08 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:

I see Devin playing a largr part in the offense next year, between the 20's though mostly.

I think this is a fair assessment. Having DG and Denard on the field at the same time will spread out defenses for sure. It will be a veritable nightmare for DCs. We definitely need to score when we get in the red zone so I say Denard needs to be at QB but I would love to see a play or two with DG and DR on the field at the same time in the red zone. maybe something with Denard lined up in the slot. A crossing route or something.

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Right Admin! When DG was out there the Defenses knew what to look for. I am particularly perplexed, there are those that think he has a great arm...I've yet to see it. He has been in the system long enough to look like he knows what he is doing and yet, he looks confused. And it turns into another run play. And, he doesn't look that comfortable running either. I had many phone calls to my house during game time and most all were upset with DG. I say, set up some new designs or Alabama will be waiting for the usual.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm

If they want to try him why don't they take Denard out and let Devin run a couple of series?

One play every 20 minutes doesn't do the kid justice.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
If they want to try him why don't they take Denard out and let Devin run a couple of series?

Problem with that is, IMHO, it doesn't bode well for the offensive flow. I'm not so big on saying it throws DR out of rhythm, but I do think it upsets the overall rhythm of the offense. The presence in the huddle, the cadence, and the overall size of the play book available (which we know is to be limited with DG taking the snap).

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Admin wrote:
THEstjoemfan wrote:

Problem with that is, IMHO, it doesn't bode well for the offensive flow. I'm not so big on saying it throws DR out of rhythm, but I do think it upsets the overall rhythm of the offense. The presence in the huddle, the cadence, and the overall size of the play book available (which we know is to be limited with DG taking the snap).

I agree, which is why IMO we only see DG when Denard is out there as well. I just tend to think that we'll see DG out there more frequently and only between the 20's (deep-ball threat ya know). Plus, Denard ne5ed every TD he can get (rushing or passing) for his Heisman canidacy. I really don't see who out there can beat him though, other than Barkley at u$c...

Thoughts?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much will Devin play next year?   How much will Devin play next year? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much will Devin play next year?
Page 1 of 1