Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Simplify the offensive schemes.

Go down 
+2
the artist formally known
fishgoblue22
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Simplify the offensive schemes. Empty
PostSubject: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 8:04 am

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/6/5470272/michigan-football-new-offense-plays-doug-nussmeier-2014
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Why couldn't Borgres simplify the offense with his new kids and then make it more complex as they experience mounted why throw it all in at once. Even in High school the offense progresses as the kid get older. Borges was a moron to think he would change it all in one swilled swoop . He should have been let go .

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
squeezebox

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:55 am

At his presser after the Nebraska game, Borges said he ran about 41 different formations out of 87 total plays. But since each formation had only 1 or 2 variations, Nebraska players said they knew what was coming by the formation.

So the players' heads were spinning with all the formations, while the opposing defense had a head start to head them off at the pass.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:59 am

squeezebox wrote:
At his presser after the Nebraska game, Borges said he ran about 41 different formations out of 87 total plays.  But since each formation had only 1 or 2 variations, Nebraska players said they knew what was coming by the formation.

So the players' heads were spinning with all the formations, while the opposing defense had a head start to head them off at the pass.

Exactly. I'd much rather see a handfull of formations with more play options from each. When your formation tips your play, that's a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:36 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
[...When your formation tips your play, that's a bad thing...

even worse when a specific player tips a play (AJ Williams)

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 8:06 am

Squeeze, Fish and Sandy---all three of you are spot-on.  And let's take it a step further, to the other side of the ball.

I was very encouraged to read that coach Matty told Frank Clark the other day: "When you stood up, everyone in this building knew we were dropping [off in coverage]!!!"

GM owns one of the best defensive minds in football. (notice I did not specify college football, either...ouch, sorry Fish---you're probably sittin' there RAVIN' at me right now!). Greg, too, knows the importance of secrecy...

As you all say, tipping your hand in football (against an equally-talented opponent) is like doing it at the poker table. Nothing but bad things will happen....
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 9:18 am

8 formations

motion off those 8

5 plays off of each formation.

This is the start.

Every week add 1 play to each formation until you get about 8 that you run very well.

Why can't you make a year out of 64 plays?

Please guys, I'm being VERY simplistic. I'm not trying to be a rocket scientist.

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 1:16 pm

joe wrote:
...Please guys, I'm being VERY simplistic. I'm not trying to be a rocket scientist...

+1

I agree... it's football. We're not trying to split an atom. It doesn't need to be as complex as borges tried to make it. at least not out of the gate.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm reminded of the great line from "Bull Durham":

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains. Think about that for a while."
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 2:14 pm

And fish, sometimes the other guy does it better'n you, ya know?

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 3:26 pm

A little more about the offense.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/03/doug_nussmeiers_running_game_l.html
Back to top Go down
squeezebox

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Another side note. After two years of Denard, Borges stated that with Devin, he finally had a quarterback that would allow him to implement his whole playbook.

We all saw where that got us.

Not even sure what that playbook was, since the play calling changed every week, with Jekyll and Hyde performances.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simplify the offensive schemes.   Simplify the offensive schemes. Empty

Back to top Go down

Simplify the offensive schemes.
Page 1 of 1