Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OOPS, only 1 team left

Go down 
+3
michmike
fishgoblue22
MGOBLUEBC
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

OOPS, only 1 team left Empty
PostSubject: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 7:45 pm

in the basketball powerhouse ACC conference........Virginia.

What a disappointment.

NOT.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 7:47 pm

ACC down this year. B1G and SEC showing up big.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 8:06 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
ACC down this year.  B1G and SEC showing up big.

Yes fish, I'm just glad to see the ACC doing poorly. Maybe Vitale will STFU now about Dook & the ACC.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 8:38 am

MGOBLUEBC, you ought to know better by now. There is one thing and one thing only that will ever shut Vitale the fuck up---and I like to think of myself as having matured enough by now(!) not to elaborate.
Back to top Go down
stjotoo

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 am

Fully agree Dickie the Dork would do us all a favor by S'ingTFU !

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 am

He is a caricature of himself.  He is irrelevent.  I find him entertaining, but not informative.  The ACC has long been a great baskeball conference and probably will be again.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:15 am

michmike wrote:
MGOBLUEBC, you ought to know better by now. There is one thing and one thing only that will ever shut Vitale the fuck up---and I like to think of myself as having matured enough by now(!) not to elaborate.

<chuckle> Yeah Mike, I should know better than that by now..... he'll probably never change. Oh well, maybe he'll at least tone down his ACC love spiel a tad as a result of their tourney performances. Maybe.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:39 am

MGOBLUEBC wrote:
michmike wrote:

<chuckle> Yeah Mike, I should know better than that by now..... he'll probably never change. Oh well, maybe he'll at least tone down his ACC love spiel a tad as a result of their tourney performances. Maybe.

I love ACC basketball. Spent most of my adult life in North and South Carolina. I'm a huge UNC fan. Although I would root for UM against them...probably. I'm pulling for Virginia against MSU.

I do not ever root for Duke though.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:58 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
MGOBLUEBC wrote:
michmike wrote:

I love ACC basketball.  Spent most of my adult life in North and South Carolina.  I'm a huge UNC fan.  Although I would root for UM against them...probably.  I'm pulling for Virginia against MSU.  

I do not ever root for Duke though.

<chuckle> Well fish, if you're a Tarheel fan, that's understandable!

I'm not much of an ACC fan but I got to admit, they do (or should I say did) have the best overall basketball conference in the nation, I think.

As far as UVA......yeah I'm rooting for them. Now if it was anybody other than Sparty or O$U, no way would I.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am

I loved the old ACC. They had a conference tournament years ahead of anyone else and in the days when all conferences were one bid conferences, that tournament was incredibly intense. Some great teams lost in the tourney and were relegated to the NIT or sitting home. When South Carolina was a member they had a top team in the country,led by All American John Roche- they lost and no NCAA's for them. Same with some great Maryland teams.

In those days there was a loose basketball TV network or networks which were not tied to any of the Big 3 (ABC, CBS, or NBC), and you were never sure what games you were going to get locally.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Wow, shoes......"when South Carolina was a member". Your diggin up some old shit- OR- your an old fart like me!! Ha. J/K. Actually, 1971 isn't THAT many years ago.......just a few ;-) Anyway, I had completely forgot that SC once was part of the ACC.

OK, question.....any chance that loose basketball TV network turned into ESPN? I highly doubt it, but I just had to ask.

Cool info, shoes, you brought up some old memories. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 1:39 pm

MGOBLUEBC wrote:
Wow, shoes......"when South Carolina was a member". Your diggin up some old shit- OR- your an old fart like me!! Ha. J/K. Actually, 1971 isn't THAT many years ago.......just a few ;-) Anyway, I had completely forgot that SC once was part of the ACC.

OK, question.....any chance that loose basketball TV network turned into ESPN? I highly doubt it, but I just had to ask.

Cool info, shoes, you brought up some old memories. Thanks for sharing.

Yes I am old, my secret is out. As for those old networks, I'm not sure of an official tie to the beginnings of ESPN- that would make an interesting research project. But they would syndicate their sporting events to local stations (which may have otherwise been affiliated with a major network). I remember seeing the Lew Alcindor (later Kareem) UCLA team play Elvin Hayes and Houston before about 50,000 in the Astrodome one evening as a result of this syndicated network. Still one of the all time coolest games by the way. That was on TVS network but there were others as well. here is a Wiki reference:

"The Game of the Century in college basketball was a historical NCAA game between the University of Houston Cougars and the UCLA Bruins played on January 20, 1968, at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. It was the first NCAA regular season game broadcast nationwide in prime time. It established college basketball as a sports commodity on television and paved the way for the modern "March Madness" television coverage.

The game was televised nationally via a syndication package through the TVS Television Network, with Dick Enberg announcing and Bob Pettit providing color commentary. Morgan had insisted to TVS owner Eddie Einhorn that TVS use their broadcaster. Einhorn paid $27,000 for the broadcast rights on TVS.[2] TVS signed up 120 stations, many of which would preempt regularly scheduled network programming.[3] The basketball floor actually came from the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.

The Bruins arrived in Houston with a 47-game, two-and-a-half-season winning streak. The Cougars were also undefeated since the last meeting between the two teams. Lew Alcindor (more famously known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) had a scratch on the cornea of his eye, acquired on court when he got struck by Ted Henderson of Cal in a rebound battle.[4]

The first half between the AP #1 Bruins and AP #2 Cougars closed with the Cougars up by three points. The second half saw the tension between the squads highlighted within the matchup of Houston's Elvin Hayes and UCLA's Lew Alcindor. Hayes, a 6-foot-9 forward, was not directly matched against the 7–2 Alcindor, but he did block three of Alcindor's shots, and the crowd roared his nickname, "Big E."

With two minutes to go and the score tied by Lucius Allen free throws at 69–69, Elvin Hayes took a shot and was fouled by Bruin reserve Jim Nielsen. Hayes, playing with four fouls in the second half, scored two free throws. The Bruins still had time to score, but an attempted basket by Lucius Allen would not drop. On the last possession, UCLA's premier All-American guard Mike Warren committed a rare mental error deflecting out of bounds a pass meant for UCLA's star shooter Lynn Shackelford, who was unguarded in the corner.

In the end, the Cougars pulled the upset, 71–69, ending the Bruins' 47-game winning streak.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:57 pm

NICE post, shoes.

Great story about that game. I hadn't really gotten into watching the NCAA at that time as I was just out of high school (ok, I can envision everyone getting out their calculators here to get my age, lol), but of course I remember the names of all those great players of that time and reading the headlines about that game. It made headlines that's for sure. This article doesn't say, but I'm assuming (being played Jan., 20th) this game was just a regular game and not for the NC, right, shoes?  Anyway, It would be cool to see that game, even today. John Wooden & UCLA......quite the dynasty being taken down. We'll probably never see a dynasty in college BB like that again.

Dick Enberg........now there's an announcer I always thought was really good and one of the best ever, IMO.

OK, time to google ESPN.

Thanks again for sharing, shoes.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 3:10 pm

It was not for the National Championship.

UCLA won that later in the year beating Elvin Hayes and Houston I think in the semi-finals????

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Post script: UCLA guard Michael Warren later played Officer Bobby Hill on uber-cool cop show "Hill Street Blues".
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 6:55 am

dwoody wrote:
Post script: UCLA guard Michael Warren later played Officer Bobby Hill on uber-cool cop show "Hill Street Blues".

And his partner was former runningback Ed Marinaro.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 7:46 am

dwoody wrote:
...played Officer Bobby Hill on uber-cool cop show "Hill Street Blues".

You've freaking got that right, woody!!  Thinking back, I'm not sure which I loved more, the show or the theme song.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 8:47 am

michmike wrote:
dwoody wrote:
...played Officer Bobby Hill on uber-cool cop show "Hill Street Blues".

You've freaking got that right, woody!!  Thinking back, I'm not sure which I loved more, the show or the theme song.

Without looking it up think it may have been done by the same guy who did the theme from The Rockford Files- a great show.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Michael Post, I believe. Now I will look it up. "And, hey. Let's be careful out there!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OOPS, only 1 team left   OOPS, only 1 team left Empty

Back to top Go down

OOPS, only 1 team left
Page 1 of 1