Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michael Ferns transferring

Go down 
+5
BetterThansparty
sandyeggo_blue
GOBLUEJOE66
fishgoblue22
Admin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Michael Ferns transferring Empty
PostSubject: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 1:32 pm

West Virginia the expected destination.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 1:43 pm

LB is the one position that can absorb a loss. Did he RS in 2014?
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Admin wrote:

He is from eastern Ohio, so not a surprise where he wants to go. But, a huge loss after all of the "recruiting" he did for UM. Hate to see him go and the best of luck to him.

Go Blue!! Smile

GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 1:44 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
LB is the one position that can absorb a loss.  Did he RS in 2014?

Yes he did RS, fish.

Go blue!! Smile
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 2:46 pm

GOBLUEJOE66 wrote:
Admin wrote:

He is from eastern Ohio, so not a surprise where he wants to go.  But, a huge loss after all of the "recruiting" he did for UM.  Hate to see him go and the best of luck to him.

Go Blue!!  Smile    

He was huge in recruiting for UM. this is shocking.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 3:35 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
GOBLUEJOE66 wrote:
Admin wrote:

He is from eastern Ohio, so not a surprise where he wants to go.  But, a huge loss after all of the "recruiting" he did for UM.  Hate to see him go and the best of luck to him.

Go Blue!!  Smile    

He was huge in recruiting for UM. this is shocking.

Moreso than Cole would be if he ended up transferring?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 3:40 pm

I think Sandy means that Ferns was like a recruiting coordinator ... he really loved Michigan so yes it is very shocking
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 3:53 pm

If that is all he meant then yes I agree. Ferns was the leadewr of the recruiting efforts for team 135. Ferns is leaving because Hoke was fired, plain and simple. Will there be more? I don't know, but it wouldn't shock me though.

As a side note, after a coaching change people can transfer without sitting out a year right? If not doesn't that somehow mess things up for Ferns or because he RS this year he's ok?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
If that is all he meant then yes I agree.  Ferns was the leadewr of the recruiting efforts for team 135.  Ferns is leaving because Hoke was fired, plain and simple.  Will there be more?  I don't know, but it wouldn't shock me though.

As a side note, after a coaching change people can transfer without sitting out a year right?  If not doesn't that somehow mess things up for Ferns or because he RS this year he's ok?

No that isn't right unless the NCAA makes an exception as they did in the Penn State case.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:34 pm

wshoes wrote:
TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
If that is all he meant then yes I agree.  Ferns was the leadewr of the recruiting efforts for team 135.  Ferns is leaving because Hoke was fired, plain and simple.  Will there be more?  I don't know, but it wouldn't shock me though.

As a side note, after a coaching change people can transfer without sitting out a year right?  If not doesn't that somehow mess things up for Ferns or because he RS this year he's ok?

No that isn't right unless the NCAA makes an exception as they did in the Penn State case.

No, he will have to sit out a year...which leaves him with three years of eligibility.

sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 6:20 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
...Moreso than Cole would be if he ended up transferring?...

Well that is a two part answer.... yes I am shocked at Ferns because of his recruiting efforts for the class. Mason Cole would shock me more because he's already played and established himself on the line whereas Ferns took a redshirt.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 7:41 pm

This sucks. I am worried there will be others. This coaching search needs to end soon.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 8:04 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
This sucks.  I am worried there will be others.  This coaching search needs to end soon.

I agree.....not only for recruiting but for our sanity also.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 8:12 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
TheNewBlueOrder wrote:

Well that is a two part answer.... yes I am shocked at Ferns because of his recruiting efforts for the class. Mason Cole would shock me more because he's already played and established himself on the line whereas Ferns took a redshirt.

Thus my question regarding Ferns having to sit another year which both 'shoes and Admin said was true, he will have to sit another year plus lose a year of eligibility (unless he can take a Medical RS for this year instead of just a RS, then he could RS next year again, right?)...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 8:37 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:
TheNewBlueOrder wrote:

Thus my question regarding Ferns having to sit another year which both 'shoes and Admin said was true, he will have to sit another year plus lose a year of eligibility (unless he can take a Medical RS for this year instead of just a RS, then he could RS next year again, right?)...

Nope.  A redshirt is a redshirt. No such thing as a medical redshirt.  Very few players are ever granted a 6th year.  I can only remember one and that was the Oklahoma QB a few years ago.  White I think was his name.  Anyway, most call it a medical redshirt when a player is granted a 5th year after Not red shirting his freshmen year.  If a player has seen game action in his first four years, but one of those years was cut extremely short by injury, one game usually, he can request a redshirt for that year; Gardner, Morgan, hopefully Peppers.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 9:05 pm

Kenny Anunike (Duke) was the most recent to receive a 6th year (that was this year, 2014). The techinal term for "medical redshirt" is a "hardship waiver".

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/11/12/sixth-times-charm#.VJDVSivF_kI

Definition of a "Redshirt"

Each student-athlete is eligible for four years of competition in each of their chosen sports. If a qualified incoming student-athlete is "redshirted" his or her freshman year (i.e., practices but does not compete), four full years of eligibility still remain. An extra year of eligibility can also be granted via a "hardship waiver" if a student-athlete suffers an incapacitating injury or illness in the course of a season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season and the student-athlete, in Divisions I and II, must not have participated in more than two contests or 20% of the school's completed contests, whichever is greater. In Division III, the threshhold is three contests or 33% of completed contests, whichever is greater. For more information on redshirt eligibility, access the NCAA website.

http://sports.findlaw.com/student_athlete/elig_summ/

I bet that's what Ferns does IF he has to sit this year. Personally, I don't know which is wjhy I asked, I still think that Ferns will be able to play next year (maybe). If he can't what is he thinking? I hold no ill will towards the guy buy sitting 2 full years seems rather difficult.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
Kenny Anunike (Duke) was the most recent to receive a 6th year (that was this year, 2014).  The techinal term for "medical redshirt" is a "hardship waiver".

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/11/12/sixth-times-charm#.VJDVSivF_kI

Definition of a "Redshirt"

Each student-athlete is eligible for four years of competition in each of their chosen sports. If a qualified incoming student-athlete is "redshirted" his or her freshman year (i.e., practices but does not compete), four full years of eligibility still remain. An extra year of eligibility can also be granted via a "hardship waiver" if a student-athlete suffers an incapacitating injury or illness in the course of a season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season and the student-athlete, in Divisions I and II, must not have participated in more than two contests or 20% of the school's completed contests, whichever is greater. In Division III, the threshhold is three contests or 33% of completed contests, whichever is greater. For more information on redshirt eligibility, access the NCAA website.

http://sports.findlaw.com/student_athlete/elig_summ/

I bet that's what Ferns does IF he has to sit this year.  Personally, I don't know which is wjhy I asked, I still think that Ferns will be able to play next year (maybe).  If he can't what is he thinking?  I hold no ill will towards the guy buy sitting 2 full years seems rather difficult.

He can't play next year.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 12:01 am

I understand that is what you are saying, but my comment was addressing ADMIN's statement that even though he can't play next year he will still lose a year of eligibility. I don't believe that is the case (but it might be?).

'fish, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt in this instance but only because he didn't play at all this year he "might" be able to get around the transfer rule. That in combination with a new Head Coach seems almost plausible. Like I said previously, I don't know how he can stand not playing for two years. I wasn't a football player but I also graduated High School and would have started college at 17, there is no way I could have waited 2 years to play...

Ferns' has something up his sleave, of course I could be wrong though?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 10:32 am

just read an article that brought up a good point...

attrition happens. we've been pretty spoiled under Hoke because not many guys left during his tenure, but more so during a coaching change, attrition happens otherwise.

The team is on winter break. there is a chance that a lot of the players could be on the fence about coming back.

I think they are anxiously waiting to see who is hired.

bottom line, Ferns most likely will not be the only guy to leave. Don't be surprised if we lose a few more guys before the start of the next semester.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 10:46 am

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
I understand that is what you are saying, but my comment was addressing ADMIN's statement that even though he can't play next year he will still lose a year of eligibility.  I don't believe that is the case (but it might be?).

'fish, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt in this instance but only because he didn't play at all this year he "might" be able to get around the transfer rule.  That in combination with a new Head Coach seems almost plausible.  Like I said previously, I don't know how he can stand not playing for two years.  I wasn't a football player but I also graduated High School and would have started college at 17, there is no way I could have waited 2 years to play...

Ferns' has something up his sleave, of course I could be wrong though?

Yes. It's losing a year of eligibility.

The only thing that could possibly get him out of losing a year is if he applies for a hardship waiver, such as someone within his immediate family with a serious medical issue. And even then, he would have to transfer to a school within 100 miles of his home (I don't know if WVU is even that close). That's how Ty Isaac got fucked this year, since AA was about 130 miles from his hometown.

Outside of a hardship waiver or transferring to a school that offers a graduate program in what you achieved an undergrad in (like Russell Wilson to Wisconsin), there is literally NO way a player can transfer to another school without losing a year of eligibility.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Yes, Ferns grew up 45v minutes (I think) from WVU. ohio isn't that far from West Virginia. Like I said, Ferns had something up his sleeve...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 2:37 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
Yes, Ferns grew up 45v minutes (I think) from WVU.  ohio isn't that far from West Virginia.  Like I said, Ferns had something up his sleeve...

Still has to apply for a hardship waiver.

You can't just up and transfer and get away with it because it's close to home.

So unless his mother is sick with cancer or something else seriously unfortunate, he's losing a year of eligibility.

sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Admin wrote:
TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
Yes, Ferns grew up 45v minutes (I think) from WVU.  ohio isn't that far from West Virginia.  Like I said, Ferns had something up his sleeve...

Still has to apply for a hardship waiver.

You can't just up and transfer and get away with it because it's close to home.

So unless his mother is sick with cancer or something else seriously unfortunate, he's losing a year of eligibility.

true but the NCAA has been very liberal with these waivers when there is coaching change. I wouldn't rule it out.

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 2:55 pm

did Ty Issac not just try this this past summer and fail with the request.... as stated there has to be a serious health issue involved ... as for a coaching change , sorry but you committed to a school not a coach , suck it up and play for the team the team the team
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 5:25 pm

BOLEACH7 wrote:
did Ty Issac not just try this this past summer and fail with the request.... as stated there has to be a serious health issue involved ... as for a coaching change , sorry but you committed to a school not a coach , suck it up and play for the team the team the team

But Ty tried to do it even though his Mother lived 130 miles from A2. That is not within the 100 mile radius rule. Ferns grew up 90-miles from Morgantown (he will receive the waiver).

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/family_coaching_change_drove_m.html

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 6:28 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
BOLEACH7 wrote:

But Ty tried to do it even though his Mother lived 130 miles from A2.  That is not within the 100 mile radius rule.  Ferns grew up 90-miles from Morgantown (he will receive the waiver).

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/family_coaching_change_drove_m.html

Is his mom sick, his dad, a grandparent?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Not to my knowledge, although on the surface he knows that he'll only have 3 years of eligibility. "Ferns will have to sit out the 2015 season due to transfer rules, and will have three years of eligibility remaining from there." I still think he night try something. If not, oh well. It actually sounds like Ferns was home-sick.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Ferns transferring   Michael Ferns transferring Empty

Back to top Go down

Michael Ferns transferring
Page 1 of 1