Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

$7.9 million deficit for athletic dept

Go down 
+5
BetterThansparty
fishgoblue22
sandyeggo_blue
dwoody
wshoes
9 posters
AuthorMessage
wshoes

wshoes

$7.9 million deficit for athletic dept Empty
PostSubject: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 7:58 am

Saw this from the Regents meeting. The Mich athletic dept is expected to show a $7.9 million deficit in 2015. Not sure if the fiscal year is different than the calendar year-suspect it is. The reasons given were less revenue from ticket sales (football tickets for 2 cokes?) and compensation payments (Brandon/Hoke buy-outs?) We are expected to be back on budget for 2016.

Football season ticket sales are at their highest level in 8 years.

Last edited by wshoes on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix typo)
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 8:39 am

One step back and two huge steps forward. Well worth it to get rid of Brandon and Hoke before they totally destroyed the football program.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 9:14 am

addidas contract will make up the money. and fans will be pissed

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 9:56 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

I have been saying all along that it is unwise to take a LOT less $$$ for the "privilege" of wearing Nike. However latest buzz seems to be that Nike may be willing to pay up to be competitive. I hope so.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 am

wshoes wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

I have been saying all along that it is unwise to take a LOT less $$$ for the "privilege" of wearing Nike. However latest buzz seems to be that Nike may be willing to pay up to be competitive. I hope so.

I agree, go to the highest bidder. Makes no difference to me if it is Nike, Addidas, Under Amour or Russell Athletic.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 11:55 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
wshoes wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

I agree, go to the highest bidder.  Makes no difference to me if it is Nike, Addidas, Under Amour or Russell Athletic.

I am right there with you FISH. I also don't care either way but unfortunately it does make a difference on some level. A lot fans hate addidas gear and will not buy it and there is also a growing trend with recruit apparel affiliation. 

I sure hope Nike pays up because that would help UM avoid the looming epic meltdown by the fan base if they go with Addidas.

Hackett says he hopes to have a deal in place by July 1st so we will soon find out.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 12:36 pm

The Nike fan boys will piss and moan if it isn't them, so it would be worth it if we went to them for the right money not to have to listen to them. Winning will have the biggest impact on sales, not the brand (by far).
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm telling you, it"s Nike. I don't think that's details have been finalized yet though.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 1:49 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
wshoes wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

I agree, go to the highest bidder.  Makes no difference to me if it is Nike, Addidas, Under Amour or Russell Athletic.

I vote for New Balance.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 2:25 pm

EJinGA wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:
wshoes wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

I vote for New Balance.

Pro-Keds
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 2:50 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
EJinGA wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:
wshoes wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

I vote for New Balance.

Pro-Keds

<chuckle> Now, that should help with recruiting!
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 2:59 pm

I agree that it's Nike. there have been too many dropped hints over the last month by a few people in the know and by Nike themselves.

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 6:22 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
I agree that it's Nike. there have been too many dropped hints over the last month by a few people in the know and by Nike themselves.

I am for whichever one wants to pay the most cash....as long as it is Nike!! LOL

I am not going to buy anymore gear until the decision is announced. This stuff is getting too expensive without buying the wrong brand name.

Go Blue!! Smile

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 6:40 pm

I got a replica jersey for $35 at the M-Den, yea replica but it was only $35. That tells you right there that they are switching to Nike as they are trying to liquidate their Addidas holdings...

I figured that ya can't beat it for $35 so I bought a #21.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 8:52 pm

I thought the new contract would take effect in 2016. Are you saying MDen would make it effective this fall?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 12:16 am

As far as I know the contract expires June 30, 2015. I could be wrong though.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 12:22 am

Makes sense to me. Adidas would be dead in the water if an announcement was made that Michigan was switching. Kind of disrespectful to the current check writer to announce a change months before it is going to happen.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 11:12 am

This says the contract expires on July 31, 2016.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2015/05/adidas-nike-bid-on-university-of-michigan-apparel.html

Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 1:55 pm

True.  But it also says that Michigan must notify Adidas if it doesn't wish to extend that deal by August  31, 2015.  I can't remember exactly where I heard the July 1st date, I just know that I heard/read it on multiple sources (one of which was my State St. source).  I'm curious if Nike would be able to "buy-out" the last year of Adidas' contract?  Could Nike even produce all of the new supplies quickly enough if that was the case?  As MGo stated, Adidas would be dead in the water (and basically they are now anyway) so there must be an early out clause.  I can't imagine that Adidas would even want to stay with Michigan for another year if it is known that they are switching to Nike.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Last edited by TheNewBlueOrder on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm assuming all pf the fall line- coaches sideline shirts etc have already been produced. There may be some early out clause but you can't just turn on a dime with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept   $7.9 million deficit for athletic dept Empty

Back to top Go down

$7.9 million deficit for athletic dept
Page 1 of 1