Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?

Go down 
+4
joe
ThatGuy
dwoody
NCHawk
8 posters
AuthorMessage
NCHawk

NCHawk

How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? Empty
PostSubject: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Brian Gillis told us on monday that Michigan will lose 16 starters on offense this year. No more Jake Butt, Jehu Chesson, Amara Darboh, and De’Veon Smith. And the entire offensive line is gone. It looks like Wilton Speight will be the QB with Chris Evans as the featured back and Eddie McDoom as a wide receiver.

How do you think Michigan’s offense will fare in 2017?

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2017/7/18/15978262/hows-michigans-offense-in-2017
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Awesome.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 pm

NCHawk wrote:
Brian Gillis told us on monday that Michigan will lose 16 starters on offense  this year. No more Jake Butt, Jehu Chesson, Amara Darboh, and De’Veon Smith. And the entire offensive line is gone. It looks like Wilton Speight will be the QB with Chris Evans as the featured back and Eddie McDoom as a wide receiver.

How do you think Michigan’s offense will fare in 2017?

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2017/7/18/15978262/hows-michigans-offense-in-2017

We lose A LOT, that is not in question.  However 16 starters on offense?  What game is this guy thinking of?  That isn't even possible?  16 starters total (offense AND defense) yes.  Although there are rumblings that the defense this year will resemble 1997.  I think that is a little too pie-in-the-sky.

I think the offense will be OK.  To start the year it will undoubtedly be rough but by mid-season the oline will have gelled and a RB will have declared ownership of the position plus we'll have two "reliable" receivers.  Whether one will be a deep-threat or not is a question....

I'll take Speight to start the year. at QB.  I like Walker to take hold of the RB spot, and I'm hoping that McDoom/DPJ become our new standout receivers.  In addition to Wheatley JR at TE.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyWed Jul 19, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm fairly concerned about the offense especially if Florida's defense is as good as it usually is.

We only have 2 out of 5 front guys coming back and there's no saying they'll even be playing the same positions they played last year. We really miss Newsome! I think in the long run Bredeson is our left tackle. Don't know where they might move Cole but everyone raves about Cesar Ruiz as a player. I think the jury is out here.

The only returning receiver we have is McDoom who, while his name is fun, is probably not a long term star or even a starter. New receivers and a new tight end do not bode well for the early season especially.

The running backs are the strongest most experienced group we have. I'd hand the ball to any of the returning runners. Evans, Walker, Isaac, Higdon et al. Are solid if not spectacular.

The quarterback worries me. I am not sold on Speight. I like the guy, but we lost 3 games we shouldn't have lost last year. I lay the Fuckeye loss squarely on his shoulders. A pick 6, a fumble on the 1, another interception that led directly to a touchdown........

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of my breakdown.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 am

I expect Cole to the the LT, Bredeson is a guard IMHO. He will be the LG. Kugler, although not a returning starter has played a lot. I expect him to be good to very good at C. I think Onwenu will be a beast at RG. LT is the biggest area of concern for me on the OL.

How come no one mentions Crawford at WR? He seems more polished than McDoom, just doesn't have the cool name. Crawford runs great routes and is a willing downfield blocker. I think he has a lot of upside.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 am

I think the offense will be pretty good but not necessarily in game 1 vs Fla. We have a talented if inexperienced unit. Hoping the O-line will actually be better with another year of Frey's coaching. Crawford, mcDoom and two talented freshman wideouts (Black and the hyphenated guy- I think at least 2 of them play really well based upon a 50 percent hit rate and talent.

Running back and TE are both positions with deep pools of talent. QB will determine wether it is a good or very good offense IMO. Fla in Texas though, to open, maybe be tough. The D may have to make the difference for us there.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 3:28 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I expect Cole to the the LT, Bredeson is a guard IMHO.  He will be the LG.  Kugler, although not a returning starter has played a lot.  I expect him to be good to very good at C.  I think Onwenu will be a beast at RG.  LT is the biggest area of concern for me on the OL.

How come no one mentions Crawford at WR?  He seems more polished than McDoom, just doesn't have the cool name.  Crawford runs great routes and is a willing downfield blocker.  I think he has a lot of upside.

Don't forget about Ruiz...

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2017/05/patrick_kugler_cesar_ruiz_cont.html

Black at WR is strongly talked about as a game changer.

http://247sports.com/player/tarik-black-61354

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 1:30 am

- 16 starters! ha ha.

- Barring injury Filiaga will see a lot of starts at RT and he will be more than serviceable. BOOK IT!
- Ruiz will comfortably allow Cole to be at LT.
- Ben B is the real deal. He will anchor the line.
- Big Mike, Spanelis, Ulizio and Runyan give more depth than people think. But don't take my word, do your own research.
- I still stand by my opinion that losing out on Wilson hurts because he would have given sure fire depth at a need on the O line (think Solomon on the D line)

- Gonna be interesting to see what Frey does with this young group. I believe the Drevno/Frey combo will allow the TE's to flourish (sorry Jay). TETO!
- Wheatley, Bunting, McKeon in that order. Eubanks still getting a ton of hype too. The Asiasi transfer will NEVER stop hurting, see me 10 years from now and I'll say the same.  

- and BTW Evans will be the man until another back dethrones him.

- everyone wants to worry about the WRs. smeh! DPJ's spring injury is nothing to worry about. he's the real deal, I've been saying that since his opening showing as a HS JR. go back and check my posts about him when he was recruit. Collins and Black have the size and tools, they are eventually going to be really really good. Maybe not out of the gate but you will see flashes early. Pretty solid indication that your WRs have the goods when a guy like McDoom won't start.

- Being the only real experienced QB last year Wilton operated with a net (don't kid yourself on J O'K). Speight has a legitimate threat with Peters waiting in the wings. If at any time he repeats his Iowa/O$U performance then Peters will step in. I'm betting that Wilt wont' let that happen. also I don't want to hear the "he was hurt" defense.

I could give 100 reasons why our D won't take a big step back this year but this post is about the O.  I am NOT worried about Florida's D or the Florida game. Might not be a blowout but Michigan wins bigly.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
- 16 starters! ha ha.

- Barring injury Filiaga will see a lot of starts at RT and he will be more than serviceable. BOOK IT!
- Ruiz will comfortably allow Cole to be at LT.
- Ben B is the real deal. He will anchor the line.
- Big Mike, Spanelis, Ulizio and Runyan give more depth than people think. But don't take my word, do your own research.
- I still stand by my opinion that losing out on Wilson hurts because he would have given sure fire depth at a need on the O line (think Solomon on the D line)

- Gonna be interesting to see what Frey does with this young group. I believe the Drevno/Frey combo will allow the TE's to flourish (sorry Jay). TETO!
- Wheatley, Bunting, McKeon in that order. Eubanks still getting a ton of hype too. The Asiasi transfer will NEVER stop hurting, see me 10 years from now and I'll say the same.  

- and BTW Evans will be the man until another back dethrones him.

- everyone wants to worry about the WRs. smeh! DPJ's spring injury is nothing to worry about. he's the real deal, I've been saying that since his opening showing as a HS JR. go back and check my posts about him when he was recruit. Collins and Black have the size and tools, they are eventually going to be really really good. Maybe not out of the gate but you will see flashes early. Pretty solid indication that your WRs have the goods when a guy like McDoom won't start.

- Being the only real experienced QB last year Wilton operated with a net (don't kid yourself on J O'K). Speight has a legitimate threat with Peters waiting in the wings. If at any time he repeats his Iowa/O$U performance then Peters will step in. I'm betting that Wilt wont' let that happen. also I don't want to hear the "he was hurt" defense.

I could give 100 reasons why our D won't take a big step back this year but this post is about the O.  I am NOT worried about Florida's D or the Florida game. Might not be a blowout but Michigan wins bigly.

More importantly, welcome back eggo. You have been missed, and I mean it.
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 am

So glad to see your post!!!!!!!! Smile

Joe Go Blue!!! Smile

wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 9:21 am

Great to have you back Sandy!
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Extremely happy to read your usual well thought-out analysis. Welcome back.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 9:25 pm

dwoody wrote:
Extremely happy to read your usual well thought-out analysis. Welcome back.

funny thing is that I typed that up while I was about 3/4 in the bag ha ha.

we bought a lake house earlier this year in Michigan and we are currently spending a month here and I was getting faded last night and somehow someway found my way back to the forum. it was the first topic I saw and my inhibitions  got the best of me.

anyway, I'm pretty solid on my post with the exception that I clearly left out my thoughts on kekoa.

now that we have this vacation house here in Michigan I have a feeling that we will be visiting the mitten a lot more.  Our house is in the Hastings area so it's still a bit of a drive to the games but we will make it work.

last thing.... I have become very impressed with Perrin Brewing over the last month. Michiganders can hold their heads high because IMO they are making some solid beers but I still stand by my statement that San Diego is the mecca of craft beers and ground zero for the brewing community as a whole. but a tip of the cap to the handful of Michigan beers that I've tried so far.

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 1:24 am

Highest respect for your football/recruiting expertise, but, pound for pound, GRap is boss in craft brewing.
ps: grapefruit ipa.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 1:40 am

dwoody wrote:
Highest respect for your football/recruiting expertise, but, pound for pound, GRap is boss in craft brewing.
ps: grapefruit ipa.

you just played your hand dwoody. Grapefruit beer is a novelty ha ha. Even my top 5 Sculpin has a grapefruit beer that I have to shake my head at. oh well. to each his own.

I guess a beer thread would be as productive as a Michigan loss thread. 1000 different opinions that we could never agree upon. oh well.

IMO San Diego Brewing > anything else

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 8:47 am

Sandy- from Hastings, you'll have a short trip to Dark Horse Brewery in Marshall which i have just discovered. It has some excellent brews.Bells in Kazoo still the gold standard, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?   How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017? Empty

Back to top Go down

How’s Michigan’s offense in 2017?
Page 1 of 1