Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD

Go down 
+6
flabluefan1
Wolverdog
dwoody
fishgoblue22
BetterThansparty
joe
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
flabluefan1

OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Geez a pretty violent reaction. NASCAR involves machines. As I said nothing involving machines or animals is a sport. Comparing the snowboard event to NASCAR is totally erroneous in every respect. Rather its more like the start of a long distance track event where you have 15 or so runners all bunched up and part of the skill is to not get stepped upon. The snowboard event is clearly a sport in all respects. Plus I totally agree that its more interesting to see the athletes compete directly against each other rather than having to watch each one go down the hill and then see their time. Still that's preferable to figure skating or to NASCAR.

Maybe if you had 4-5 figure skaters on the ice at the same time and you had to pull oiff your jumps while fighting off the other skaters? NAAH! Figure skating is simply hopeless and unsaveable.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 4:19 pm

flabluefan1 wrote:

Maybe if you had 4-5 figure skaters on the ice at the same time and you had to pull oiff your jumps while fighting off the other skaters?  NAAH!  Figure skating is simply hopeless and unsaveable.    

Figure skating definitely is more of a show than a sport.  It's just a more professional version of Disney's Ice Capades.  Talented yes.  But so are the acrobats at Cirque Du Soleil (had to look up the spelling) and the jugglers at the circus.

Figure skating is a show with judges imo, not much of a sport.
Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 4:25 pm

VEry true No denying the grace skill and strength it takes to do those things but they aren't sports.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 7:48 pm

I have never defended figure skating, not once other than to say it's not easy and takes tremendous skill at the higher levels. So my moguls argument, can anyone try and combat that? It uses judges, but it is still a sport. To simply claim that anything that uses judges is not a sport is erroneous. Boner-boarding uses judges yet you are still saying that it is a sport.

Chew on this flabluefan1:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Btw this seems pertinent based on the topic of this thread....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-spt-lincicome-figure-skating-olympics-20180217-story.html

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 8:53 pm

It's just gymnastics on skis, which is a totally subjectively graded "sport".
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 9:59 pm

That's a stretch 'woody, but then again you like the game with drool cups...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 4:21 am

So in flabluefan1's opinion curling must be a sport.  It's athletic and does not use judges so...

And you never replied to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 8:32 am

I bet it helps to be a little light in the loafers to succeed in moguls...especially to pull off that helicopter twist thingy.

Certainly, no snowboarder would attempt that.  I'm no Hugh Jackman, but man points deducted for that.  Also, the splits move in mid-air?  Wtf is that?

...just kidding around...anyway, let's Go Blue! Beat the sucknuts!!
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 2:58 pm

flabluefan1 wrote:
Geez a pretty violent reaction.

Bo likes to argue FlaBlue. Sometimes to silly extents. We just deal with it. That's why we have a forum.

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Bo, curling is not a sport. Doesn't require cardio fitness. Again you are right that most sports have refs who try to keep the event played within the rules. Unfortunately sometimes the refs influence the outcome with their calls. Sometimes the calls have the effect of actually deciding the game which is very unfortunte . However, in snowboard jumping and figure skating and diving and gymnastics etc the judges actually decide who wins. IMO that disqualifies any such event from being a sport. I read the Wiki article which says that a "sport" includes events decided by judges. I simply disagree.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 6:02 pm

And I must add

A Wiki article being used in an argument?

That might be against forum policy. lmfao

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 6:52 am

joe wrote:
And I must add

When I get time I'll find another article, but then you'll just call it "fake news"....

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 6:55 am

mgoblue93 wrote:
I bet it helps to be a little light in the loafers to succeed in moguls...especially to pull off that helicopter twist thingy.

Certainly, no snowboarder would attempt that.  I'm no Hugh Jackman, but man points deducted for that.  Also, the splits move in mid-air?  Wtf is that?

...just kidding around...anyway, let's Go Blue!  Beat the sucknuts!!

I'll admit, I got heated for 1/10th of a second before I realized that you were trying to annoy me. Boner-boarders would just grab their board in a different spot. Maybe jack-off the phallic symbol....

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 am

flabluefan1 wrote:
Bo, curling is not a sport.  Doesn't require cardio fitness.  Again you are right that most sports have refs who try to keep the event played within the rules.  Unfortunately sometimes the refs influence the outcome with their calls.  Sometimes the calls have the effect of actually deciding the game which is very unfortunte .  However, in snowboard jumping and figure skating and diving and gymnastics etc the judges actually decide who wins.  IMO that disqualifies any such event from being a sport.  I read the Wiki article which says that a "sport" includes events decided by judges.  I simply disagree.  

I agree that curling isn't much of a sport. However it does require cardio fitness. Those janitors sweep quite swiftly. It also requires tremendous balance and agility on ice.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 am

Bo 2.0 wrote:
joe wrote:
And I must add

When I get time I'll find another article, but then you'll just call it "fake news"....

Dude, chill a little. I'm just having fun with you.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Next thing you know you guys will be telling me that table top shuffle board game you play at a bar isn't a sport.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Hell, yes, it’s a sport!! And the condition under which they have to practice? Daunting, at best.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Speaking of which,

I assume you all heard about the athlete that got caught Doping in the Olympics right? A Russian?

A Curler! LMFAO!

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 1:46 am

joe wrote:
Speaking of which,

I assume you all heard about the athlete that got caught Doping in the Olympics right? A Russian?

A Curler! LMFAO!

I did here that but forgot about it until you mentioned it. flabluefan1, you need to add that to your definition. If you perform blood doping then IT IS a sport. Seriously, if you need to create an advantage like that then it has to be a sport.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 am

Next question, is Track & Field a sport? Track yes by your definition. But what about javelin? Shot Put? Hammer-throw? It is Track & Field, you can't just say some are a sport and some aren't.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 am

Bo 2.0 wrote:
joe wrote:
Speaking of which,

A Curler! LMFAO!

I did here that but forgot about it until you mentioned it.  flabluefan1, you need to add that to your definition.  If you perform blood doping then IT IS a sport.  Seriously, if you need to create an advantage like that then it has to be a sport.

Bo2.0, by your above criterion, I guess seniors-75-and-over PINOCHLE TOURNAMENTS would be considered a sport, if even one of the contestants took PREVAGEN, eh?
Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Bo all track events are sports. Require cardio fitness, are human endeavor, and have objective means of deciding the winner. Whoever throws the javelin the furthest, whoever puts the shot the farthest, etc etc. Track and field clearly a sport.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm

And so whoever chugs a beer the fastest, burps the loudest, and crushes a beer can on their forehead the most efficiently plays a sport.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Bo 2.0 wrote:
And so whoever chugs a beer the fastest, burps the loudest, and crushes a beer can on their forehead the most efficiently plays a sport.

C'mon Bo.

This is being absurd.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 pm

That's what I'm saying about this entire stance that flabluefan1 started. Calling things that are Olympic sports not sports.

On to the lighter side of things, skiers hookup!

https://sports.yahoo.com/slopes-sheets-alpine-skiers-active-dating-app-pyeongchang-224052311.html

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Bo 2.0 wrote:

Speaking of this...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 pm

joe wrote:
Speaking of which,

A Curler! LMFAO!

https://sports.yahoo.com/russia-opens-criminal-investigation-someone-164749077.html

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 am

Bo 2.0 wrote:
That's what I'm saying about this entire stance that flabluefan1 started.  Calling things that are Olympic sports not sports.

On to the lighter side of things, skiers hookup!

https://sports.yahoo.com/slopes-sheets-alpine-skiers-active-dating-app-pyeongchang-224052311.html

Pretty sure it was meant to promote friendly banter. Not vitriol.

Maybe instead of discussing what "sports" fit the parameters and what don't why don't you question the parameters?

Just sayin'

I'm not a lawyer but I have stayed in an AirBNB in the last month.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2018 5:03 pm

That's what I am doing. Just because you do not like an activity that does not mean that it is not a sport. Everyone knows that I do not like "basketball", however I still consider it a sport.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD   OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

OLYMPICS OPEN THREAD
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next