Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

McElwain

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
flabluefan1

McElwain Empty
PostSubject: McElwain   McElwain EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Met him a couple times while he was the Gator coach. Nice guy. From all I have seen and read he is a solid OC, but not necessarily a good HC. He inexplicably had Nussmeier as his OC I think all 3 seasons he was at Fla. He certainly delegated way too much authority to Nuss to run the offense which was just as horrible at UF as it was at UM. Doesn't seem to have the firm grip on things you need to have as a HC at a major program. We all know he had terrible disciplinary problems at UF, in part due to lack of control and in part due to getting bad apples onto the team. Meyer had the same problems at UF as we know. One thing I think we all can agree upon is that JH deosn't recruit questionable characters and if somehow one ends up on the team , they are quickly corrected or the player gets the boot.

The big problem I see is that JH has to pick one guy as the OC and stick with him. Right now the only choice IMO is McElwain. Drev and Pep have had their chances and have not shown any potential of getting the job done. I hope JH can pull the trigger on that.

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

McElwain Empty
PostSubject: Re: McElwain   McElwain EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I think it shakes out like this. McElwain as OC/WR coach. Pep as QB coach. Drevno as OL/Asst HC. Giving Drevno the Asst HC title justifies his pay and softens the blow of losing the OC title.
Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

McElwain Empty
PostSubject: Re: McElwain   McElwain EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 4:11 pm

That sounds good. Mc has experience as a WO coach and developed some good ones. Our WO kids sure need quality coaching. Drev has proven he can develop excellent OLs. Pep is the weak link here but hopefully JH can work with the QBs some as well. Hope it works out.
Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

McElwain Empty
PostSubject: Re: McElwain   McElwain EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Another point: A million years ago when I played WO I had several older experienced guys at that position who probably taught me as much as did the coaches. Last year there weren't really any veteran WOs who could mentor the newbies. That same is true of all positions in that the newbies learn lots from the vets. Last season there were at least some vets at just about every position except for WO. Hopefully between Mc and Roundtree DPJ and Tico et al will get the coaching they cleraly didn't get last year. I've said before IMO a major problem last year that everyone blamed on the QBs (with some justification but more than they deserved) was that the WOs couldn't get open on a consistent basis. The QBs were forcing the ball into very tight spots that they shouldn't have had to. If we'd have had Darboh and Chesson last year UM would have had a better passing game even with JOK in there, and clearly with Peterson.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

McElwain Empty
PostSubject: Re: McElwain   McElwain EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 pm

flabluefan1 wrote:
Another point:  A million years ago when I played WO I had several older experienced guys at that position who probably taught me as much as did the coaches.  Last year there weren't really any veteran WOs who could mentor the newbies.  That same is true of all positions in that the newbies learn lots from the vets.  Last season there were at least some vets at just about every position except for WO.  Hopefully between Mc and Roundtree DPJ and Tico et al will get the coaching they cleraly didn't get last year.  I've said before IMO a major problem last year that everyone blamed on the QBs (with some justification but more than they deserved) was that the WOs couldn't get open on a consistent basis.  The QBs were forcing the ball into very tight spots that they shouldn't have had to.  If we'd have had Darboh and Chesson last year UM would have had a better passing game even with JOK in there, and clearly with Peterson.  

I put a lot of the blame on the odd hiring of Greg Frey. Not him personally, but he has always been from the zone blocking school and Drevno has always been a man blocking guy. To many counterintuitive schemes, which would explain missed assignments and poor OL play. Also youth at receiver and using 3 QBs. All together poor offensive output.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

McElwain Empty
PostSubject: Re: McElwain   McElwain EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 pm

WR coach

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Report-Jim-McElwain-to-coach-wide-receivers-at-Michigan-115249082

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

McElwain Empty
PostSubject: Re: McElwain   McElwain Empty

Back to top Go down

McElwain
Page 1 of 1