Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Durkin

Go down 
+2
wshoes
flabluefan1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
flabluefan1

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Durkin   Durkin EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 4:44 pm

The entire situation baffles me. When he was the DC under I think Muschamp at Florida he was very popular with the players and after Mus was fired coached UF to a bowl win. He was the runnerup for the HC job when they hired McElwein. Frankly I wasn't impressed with his D the year he was at UM. Couldn't stop the spread. Wasn't sorry to see him go, but never heard anything about him being abusive or mistreating players.

Years ago I was in Chicago for the BIG meeting. It was run a bit differently then and a lot of the teams had already started the August practices. It was 100 degrees and a NW kid collapsed and died during the 2 a days. A day or so later a big OL from the Vikings, who were also practicing near Chicago, collapsed and died. Since then all sorts of steps have been taken to prevent dehydration and heat exhaustion. 2 a days are a thing of the past.

The reports have been sketchy about what actually happened. I've seen reports that it took almost an hour to call 911. 911? Really? These teams have trainers and Drs on site during practices. Why do they need to call 911? There are mandatory water, gatorade etc breaks. Practice outdoors is once a day for three hours max. Hard to fathom how this could have happened and if it did how the kid could have died. May well be that he had some sort of underlying disorder not caught during the physicals.

Not defending Durkin at all. Just saying we don't know all the facts. Some stuff just doesn't add up. Nonetheless a tragedy for certain.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 pm

I wondered about many of the same things. A far cry from when I was a youth and they were loath to give you water because "you might get stomach cramps."
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 am

wshoes wrote:
I wondered about many of the same things. A far cry from when I was a youth and they were loath to give you water because "you might get stomach cramps."

I remember that as well. Even during little league practices we rarely had a water break because it "would cause cramps".

Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 am

Summer of 66 the team Drs started bringing this yellow funny tasting liquid stuff to practice. Started halting practices (we were doing three a days, 8am to 11, 1pm to 4, and 7 pm to 10.) to let the players drink the stuff. Some of the coaches were furious. Said it would cause cramps all the usual BS. One said we looked like the cows at the King Ranch in Texas lined up at the water trough. But the Drs had the support of the school administration and won out. We had no incidents of dehydration or heat exhaustion and it was in the 90s.

Drs said the yellow liquid had been developed at the U of Florida. Didn't have a name for it.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 1:14 pm

flabluefan1 wrote:
Summer of 66 the team Drs started bringing this yellow funny tasting liquid stuff to practice.  Started halting practices (we were doing three a days, 8am to 11,  1pm to 4, and 7 pm to 10.)  to let the players drink the stuff.  Some of the coaches were furious.  Said it would cause cramps all the usual BS.  One said we looked like the cows at the King Ranch in Texas lined up at  the water trough.  But the Drs had the support of the school administration and won out.  We had no incidents of dehydration or heat exhaustion and it was in the 90s.  

Drs said the yellow liquid had been developed at the U of Florida.  Didn't have a name for it.      

And now you know THE REST OF THE STORY! lol

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 1:39 pm

I wasn’t going to mention what the yellow stuff looked like when I first saw it It did work though.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 am

flabluefan1 wrote:
I wasn’t going to mention what the yellow stuff looked like when I first saw it   It did work though.

URINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah come on, we all knew it.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Maryland has scheduled a 2pm press conference today
Back to top Go down
michmike

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 9:13 am

According to Jabrill Peppers (today's FREEP column), "Some of coach Durkin's methods were extreme".

Take that at face value, with a teaspoon of salt, or however...

But based on ALL the media-supplied information (didn't want to use the word "FACTS") we've seen and heard, methinks there's very serious trouble lurkin' for Durkin...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Durkin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durkin   Durkin Empty

Back to top Go down

Durkin
Page 1 of 1