Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

"PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" Empty
PostSubject: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:52 pm

I'll always thank Marv Levy for that bite.

Ok, my thoughts while watching SportsCenter this morning:

When the Super Bowl Champion is crowned was that really the best team in the league that year? That is the question I ask myself every time a playoffs conversation is mentioned.

This year the NY Giants were 7-7 after 14 games. Now they are 1 win from being Super Bowl Champs. Were they the best team in Football this year? If you ask all the experts they'd tell you Green Bay was the best team all year.

Last NFL year. The Packers had to win several games in a row including eking out a win in the last regular season game against my Bears. Then they went on a run and won the Super Bowl.

So, you don't have to be the best. You have to be in the top 12 teams and then get hot.

So basically a playoff rewards who is hot at the end but not necessarily the best team in the country.

That's my argument against playoffs
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:58 pm

or you could have it like in soccer in Europe ...... there the League champions are the best ..... no playoffs ..... whoever is first is the BEST ..... and they have a seperate knock out competition ...... as for me I always like the old Bowl system ..... there were arguements back then just as there are now ..... so the bcs has accomplished nothing ..... pissed off about how they drag out the bowls now ..... give me the old NEW YEARS DAY bowls ..... Cotton at noon ... Rose at 4 .... then the SUGAR and ORANGE at 8 .... if you want replace the Cotton with the Fiesta now ..... yes I am an old timer who yearns for days of old !!!!!
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: You are a    "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Stodgy old bastard like me! lol

There aren't any less arguments now than there were back then. Just go back to it.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:11 pm

I think it is different when you have a league of 32 teams vs. 120 teams. With 32 teams you get enough of a sampling (to steal from the research field) to know who the contenders are. The regular season basically accomplishes to thin the herd. Then the playoffs decide who the two best teams are.

The problem with CFB is you have teams like Boise St. who play soft schedules and go undefeated. In the NFL if your division is soft you still play teams from other divisions and even the other conference. In CFB teams can get by relatively untested. Furthermore, you have a conference like the SEC where anywhere from 2-4 teams at any given time could beat anyone in CFB. They beat each other up all season some end with 1 or 2 losses and are out of the running (aside from Bama of course). So some teams get punished for being in the conference they are in.

I don't think there is a perfect solution. However, if a team can do enough to get to the playoffs and then beats everyone else that qualified that is good enough for me. I realize in CFB that takes away some of the excitement during the season. It does in college basketball too. BUT-I will put the excitement of March Madness up against any other event in sports. IMO-March Madness wins hands down.
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:13 pm

yeah JOE ..... couple of old timers like us know where its at ..... LOL ..... as you say , every year we have arguements ..... nothing has changed .... we have had a split NC as well in the BCS era ..... for me I have always felt that it is college not pro .... we have no need for playoffs .... like you say with playoffs you could have been the best all year by far .... yet one off game and all of a sudden an eighth place team wins it all because they got hot for three or four games ..... so we throw out 16 other games where you beat the opposition by an average of 18 points ???
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 pm

I just feel like in the NFL whoever wins the SB is generally regarded as the best team regardless of record. You certainly do not have the arguments at the end of the season that you have in CFB. A playoff gives teams a chance to win it on the field. The current system requires computers, GA's and a couple of Rocket Scientist's to figure out. It's ridiculous.

Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

well in 2007 I think that NE was far and away the best team even though the Giants beat them on an off day and a miracle catch .... and no way GB was the best team last year
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Joe, you got your old coaches confused. It was Jim Mora.   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:29 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: WELL JOE IS AN OLD TIMER   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:32 pm

is that the first flame on this forum .... am I going to be put on double secret probation ????
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Flame = Good    "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

BOLEACH7 wrote:
is that the first flame on this forum .... am I going to be put on double secret probation ????

There's one other 'Burning Topic', it's over on Page 2 because it hasn't been replied to recently. It's the "With all the BS on MLive..." topic.

By the way, Bo, you've always been on double secret probation. Twisted Evil

jk
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:37 pm

oh yeah .... was on many bans for the first year or so I was on MLive .... learnt not to take it too far with the assholes that were trolls .... live and learn I guess .... btw joe .... that was one old timer talking to another !!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: I knew when I sent it   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:25 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
THEstjoemfan wrote:

That I might have the wrong coach!!!! Thanks for setting me straight and not calling me a liar or stupid because I messed up!!!!!

(Gotta keep it up for a few days anyway! lol)
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:32 pm

geeez hope we do not get bored with all this respect we are showing one another ..... lol
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: KISS MY AZ   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:34 pm

I had to use 10 characters!!! lol tongue
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: When I read it, I immediately didn't think it was Levy   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 7:23 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:
THEstjoemfan wrote:

That I might have the wrong coach!!!! Thanks for setting me straight and not calling me a liar or stupid because I messed up!!!!!

(Gotta keep it up for a few days anyway! lol)

But I couldn't think of Mora at first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"   "PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?" Empty

Back to top Go down

"PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS?"
Page 1 of 1