Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Big House "experience"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dwoody

dwoody

The Big House "experience" Empty
PostSubject: The Big House "experience"   The Big House "experience" EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 12:00 am

Preface: I have been a die-hard fan since age 8. My first Michigan game was v Bob Griese and Purdue (winners) in 1964. Maybe I'm too old.
Aside from the atrocious offense performance, Being at the game was...unsatisfying, at best. I know Michigan has a rep of being passive and quiet during games ("fans sitting on their hands, " blah, blah). Response seems to be filling the time between plays with loud bass/drum bullshit crap blasting through the loudspeakers. Drives me crazy. On top of that, four-minute media time-outs! Back-to-back at times! I swear,mat one point two or three plays were run between media time-outs. Screes with the rhythm of the game. I know media needs can't be helped, but who came up with that noisy bullshit, and who picks the music? I'm seriously thinking of not going anymore. I enjoy the pomp pregame (even followed the band to the House), but once the pregame James Earl Jones tape starts playing...
Perhaps I'd feel more positive if I now didn't dread the rest of the season.
Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: The Big House "experience"   The Big House "experience" EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 3:34 am

dwoody wrote:
Preface: I have been a die-hard fan since age 8. My first Michigan game was v Bob Griese and Purdue (winners) in 1964. Maybe I'm too old.
Aside from the atrocious offense performance, Being at the game was...unsatisfying, at best. I know Michigan has a rep of being passive and quiet during games ("fans sitting on their hands, " blah, blah). Response seems to be filling the time between plays with loud bass/drum bullshit crap blasting through the loudspeakers. Drives me crazy. On top of that, four-minute media time-outs! Back-to-back at times! I swear,mat one point two or three plays were run between media time-outs. Screes with the rhythm of the game. I know media needs can't be helped, but who came up with that noisy bullshit, and who picks the music? I'm seriously thinking of not going anymore. I enjoy the pomp pregame (even followed the band to the House), but once the pregame James Earl Jones tape starts playing...
Perhaps I'd feel more positive if I now didn't dread the rest of the season.
Just sayin'.

IMHO this is all Dave Brandon's fault. Yes I know that he's been gone a while now but he put the wheels in motion. Kids today like all of the stuff that you referenced. I agree that the band makes a College game day and I do not like the piped in music either, but what can you do? Actually we've been battling this exact problem in Yost for the past few years. A lot of the season ticket holders wrote letters/emails about the crap. Several people actually did not renew their tickets. Eventually we received a "compromise" of sorts. They still play the crap canned music but there is more band (still not enough but what can you do?).

Hockey vs. football is nowhere near the same thing though so I can't help ya.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: The Big House "experience"   The Big House "experience" EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:18 am

Woody, kindly forbear from declaring yourself "too old", because unless your posted age is over a year old, I'm your SENIOR, you young fart!!!

Back to the matter at hand:  I never knew SQUAT about Michigan, the Wolverines, their colors, their fight song, or their football history until AFTER I walked on campus as a freshman in Sept. 1970. (From out-of-state). About a week after the beginning of the term, I was in Huber House (east wing of S.Quad) in the laundry room, and from down the street (Hoover St.) the sound of the opening of "The Victors" from the blacktop Marching Band surface filled my ears. So professional, so hypnotic was the music, I was THERE AND THEN hooked! (And have remained so to this day).  Which leads me to agree with you about the distastefulness of today's music.

However, as Bo2 points out, kids today have utterly different tastes in music, etc. And it is after all THEIR (the students) team...even as it was ours in our undergrad U-M days.

Can't take the times with us, I regret to say...
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: The Big House "experience"   The Big House "experience" EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 pm

I listen to the radio and have ear buds in most of the time.

PostSubject: Re: The Big House "experience"   The Big House "experience" Empty

Back to top Go down

The Big House "experience"
Page 1 of 1