Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

This might be big.

Go down 
+2
NCHawk
ThatGuy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 4:47 pm

If we have a season next year (we should) and if his verbal means anything.  There's still a long way to go.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Xavier-Worthy-commits-to-Michigan-Michigan-football-recruiting-Fresno-Central-East-Josh-Gattis-Giles-Jackson-Roman-Wilson-149030017/?utm_source=247Sports%2520Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200710_150557_MichiganWolverines&utm_content=Image

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
NCHawk

NCHawk

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptySun Jul 12, 2020 3:56 pm

4 start are pretty common for UM right?
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptySun Jul 12, 2020 6:42 pm

NCHawk wrote:
4 start are pretty common for UM right?

Yes 4-stars are common, I'm not saying UM gets all 4 stars but we get more than our fair share. The deal with this kid however is he is lightning fast. He will probably receive a 5th star if there is a High School football season in California this year and he does well. We also need to know if he can catch, I'm assuming that he can.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 3:39 pm

i'm not saying he won't get a 5th star but I am saying that I highly doubt he will. In fact I'll take it a step further and ask why you even think he's in the realm of shooting up to a 5 star.

All that aside, the Recruiting Insider recently had a discussion about him on their podcast. They were talking about Gattis and Worthy's name came up. They compared him to KJ Hamler and I think it's a spot on comparison so I'm happy about this commit.

sandyeggo_blue

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 3:52 pm

I'll also add that while he's known for his speed (he's really a track guy) he's also a fairly well rounded receiver. Apparently he can catch, run routes well and he can block. Basically all things point to a solid foundation to build upon. That said, he's just not 5* material, specifically because he hasn't camped, hasn't consistantly played top competition (even though his team won a California state championship) and he doesn't have 5* size at the WR position.

fun facts I found in a freep article...

Worthy ran a 10.56 100M last year and was projected to run in the 10.2-ish range this year had his season not been cancelled.

Denard ran a 10.55 in high school.

The fastest receiver in the draft (Ruggs) ran a personal best of 10.53.

Just some numbers for reference that's all.

ThatGuy

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 3:48 pm

'eggo, I bow to your recruiting prowess. My reasons for thinking that he'd receive a 5th-star aren't analytical, more of a gut feeling (and that the kid is lightning fast). So basically isn't doesn't mean much. I guess that I was just making the unfounded leap that he's bound to improve between Junior and Senior year that IS NOT guaranteed to happen. Additionally it was just released today (as far as I know) that California has pushed back their High School football season until January. That may not seem like much of a disturbance but even little things can have large impacts on someone's performance.

It is great to hear that he is actually a receiver and not just a burner.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Wasn’t Donovan P-J a *****? Just asking...
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyTue Jul 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Bo 2.0 wrote:
... I guess that I was just making the unfounded leap that he's bound to improve between Junior and Senior year  that IS NOT guaranteed to happen.  Additionally it was just released today (as far as I know) that California has pushed back their High School football season until January.  That may not seem like much of a disturbance but even little things can have large impacts on someone's performance ...

He probably was going to get better as a receiver and he definitely DID get faster. I got a really good look at his film and it's clear that he didn't play high caliber opponents in the film provided but it's also clear that he is a baller.

Because of the virus restrictions the next two recruiting cycles are basically going to be crap shoots for college staffs. Kids will not have seasonal playing growth, seasonal strength growth, game film to watch or camp showings to evaluate. Right now you want your team to have a staff that has proven they can take 3* kids and turn them into day 1 or day 2 draft picks. Basically you want a staff full of Beileins. I think the UM Defensive recruiting is going to be fine. The Gattis effect is a little less clear at this point.

sandyeggo_blue

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyTue Jul 21, 2020 2:03 pm

dwoody wrote:

Yes he was a 5*. He was far and away the most complete receiver after his junior year and he rode that out through his senior year. I remember him being graded as the  best receiver at the nike camp in Oregon (I think it was that camp) his junior year. That was the first time ever that a junior was considered the best player in the nation at any particular position.

DPJ didn't seem as productive at UM as you would think he should have been but you have to remember a few things:

the system didn't exactly support his talents
he was always on the field with some really good receivers and tight ends
he didn't always have the best QB to throw to him

I thought he was a hell of a return man. That was the best place his was able to showcase his talent. IMO DPJ absolutely deserved his 5* rating.

ThatGuy

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 1:43 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
dwoody wrote:

Yes he was a 5*. He was far and away the most complete receiver after his junior year and he rode that out through his senior year. I remember him being graded as the  best receiver at the nike camp in Oregon (I think it was that camp) his junior year. That was the first time ever that a junior was considered the best player in the nation at any particular position.

DPJ didn't seem as productive at UM as you would think he should have been but you have to remember a few things:

the system didn't exactly support his talents
he was always on the field with some really good receivers and tight ends
he didn't always have the best QB to throw to him

I thought he was a hell of a return man. That was the best place his was able to showcase his talent. IMO DPJ absolutely deserved his 5* rating.

I think that QB factor was the biggest thing holding DPJ back. No he didn't exactly live up to the hype but it's not like he was Sam McGuffie either....

He always shined on the handful of targets he received a game though. His low-targets were not indicative of his talent, more the game-calling and QB play.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 9:50 am

I'll disagree. As one who used to attend most of the home games and on many plays isolated on the receivers with binoculars, DPJ did not run as crisp routes as either Nico or Ronnie Bell. QBs didn't avoid DPJ because they didn't like him, he was not as reliably open.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 10:05 pm

wshoes wrote:
I'll disagree. As one who used to attend most of the home games and on many plays isolated on the receivers with binoculars, DPJ did not run as crisp routes as either Nico or Ronnie Bell. QBs didn't avoid DPJ because they didn't like him, he was not as reliably open.

'shoes I would whole heartedly agree with this statement. Your observation absolutley holds a ton of water.

My rebuttal would also give credence to Bo's post because I still think that Patterson/O'Korn/Peters didn't do him justice while he was an integral part of the offensive playbook. simply put, a great QB can throw a reciever open and regardless of the recievers skill set, that just didn't seem to happen much with the afformentioned trio of QBs during DPJs time at UM. but that is clearly just my monday morning, arm-chair QB take. I may be way off base and maybe I should stick to recruiting but that's how I feel.

And I'd also like to point out that speaking strictly on a recruiting level, his athleticism did merit his 5* ranking and I think that those skills did translate onto the field during his return game.

I am anxious to see how DPJ's skills translate to the NFL game. I see a lot of Funchess in him, meaning that I think he could have benefited from one more year in college but also that I believe he can still be a servicable player on sundays.

Back to the OP.... Worthy to forgo his senior year in high school and enroll early at UM is interesting to say the least. scratch scratch scratch

wshoes

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 12:11 pm

agree sandy.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyWed Jul 29, 2020 8:33 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
... I see a lot of Funchess in him, meaning that I think he could have benefited from one more year in college but also that I believe he can still be a servicable player on sundays...

speaking of Funchess

sandyeggo_blue

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Bo 2.0 wrote:
If we have a season next year (we should) and if his verbal means anything.  There's still a long way to go.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Xavier-Worthy-commits-to-Michigan-Michigan-football-recruiting-Fresno-Central-East-Josh-Gattis-Giles-Jackson-Roman-Wilson-149030017/?utm_source=247Sports%2520Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200710_150557_MichiganWolverines&utm_content=Image

So I'm assuming you've all seen Xavier's recent MASSIVE jump in the rankings. He's up to 71 overall according to 247. That's well above where I would've thought he was going to land (my guess would've been around 120 overall).

Still the same, he's not 5* material unless he gets to play/camp and blow up big time before the final rankings come out. Which just won't happen.

Looks like he could be the rankings steal of this class though.

dwoody

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Not a word...
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 5:47 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Bo 2.0 wrote:

So I'm assuming you've all seen Xavier's recent MASSIVE jump in the rankings. He's up to 71 overall according to 247. That's well above where I would've thought he was going to land (my guess would've been around 120 overall).

Still the same, he's not 5* material unless he gets to play/camp and blow up big time before the final rankings come out. Which just won't happen.

Looks like he could be the rankings steal of this class though.

I've said it before, I'm not the board rankings-guru, you are. However I agree that he could be the steal of the class though. No guarantees....

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 5:48 pm

dwoody wrote:
Not a word...

Too late, we already know your words...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 10:47 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
I'll also add that while he's known for his speed (he's really a track guy) he's also a fairly well rounded receiver. Apparently he can catch, run routes well and he can block. Basically all things point to a solid foundation to build upon. That said, he's just not 5* material, specifically because he hasn't camped, hasn't consistantly played top competition (even though his team won a California state championship) and he doesn't have 5* size at the WR position.

Worthy ran a 10.56 100M last year and was projected to run in the 10.2-ish range this year had his season not been cancelled.

I love the speed we're adding. Stretching the field is key for creating space for the short to intermediate throws.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 3:13 am

mgoblue93 wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

I love the speed we're adding.  Stretching the field is key for creating space for the short to intermediate throws.

But we'll have to hit the occasional deep ball or else the speed is for nothing. A'las Denard.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

This might be big. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This might be big.   This might be big. Empty

Back to top Go down

This might be big.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL FORUM-
Jump to: