Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michigan Hockey thread.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Guy w/nothin better to do

Michigan Hockey thread. Empty
PostSubject: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptySun Oct 03, 2021 2:08 am

Well, they played their first "game" against another team last night. It was an exhibition contest against Bowling Green. Bowling Green was a good program a couple of years ago but I'm pretty sure their studs graduated. Anyway Michigan looked good, winning 7-1. The staring goaltender (Portillo) did well although he wasn't tested too much. He shut out BG while he was in the game. He played much of the game, Levy came in about 1-2 way through the third period and gave up the one goal.

I think that you can look for big things from Michigan this year.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptySun Oct 03, 2021 8:37 am

I think goalkeeping will be the number one key to contend for Big Ten and national honors as I feel pretty good about the other parts of our team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 6:10 pm

wshoes wrote:
I think goalkeeping will be the number one key to contend for Big Ten and national honors as I feel pretty good about the other parts of our team.

I'm not arguing but that's like saying the Chiefs season rests solely Patrick Mahomes. That being said I'm fairly confident in Portillo, backup Levy came in with many accolades but he's not ready....yet. The main thing to be concerned about is if the team loses their edge. That's an annual concern for Michigan though. That and they're young. I actually think that they're bigger than in years past. I noticed Luke Hughes try some fancy skating/puck handling Saturday reminiscent of his brother.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyTue Oct 05, 2021 6:58 pm

I have a feeling that Portillo will be a great goalie moving forward. Especially with a defense like UM has and all of the scoring that UM will certainly do. I foresee a lot of time with the puck in the other teams zone.

wshoes likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyTue Oct 05, 2021 9:50 pm

Portillo is a stud.  How many people can demand playing time when there is a successful incumbent on the team already?  In hockey I can't think of any.  However I can think of one similar situation at Michigan in another sport.  You guys will have to help me out a little here as this predates my Michigan fandom but the Brady/Henson situation seems similar.

A few years ago when Jack LaFontaine was a Freshman at Michigan I was watching him and Hayden Lavigne (also a freshman) battle it out.  Lavigne ended up taking the reigns and leading Michigan to the Frozen Four the next year but I always thought that LaFontaine was the better goalie.   LaFontaine transferred later and yes I was a little disappointed, and Lavigne never lived up to his potential (though he wasn't all bad) and as far as I know is out of hockey.  He might be playing somewhere but I have no idea.  I just checked and he played last year for the Rapid City Rush, the ECHL affiliate of the Arizona Coyotes (basically the minor leagues of hockey). It looks like he is playing for the Tucson Roadrunners (AHL) this year.  LaFontaine is playing for the Minnesota Golden Gophers and is thriving.  Don't ask me how he is still playing college hockey.

Of course I do not claim to be a knowledgeable hockey scout so who knows if I know how to evaluate goalies.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

sandyeggo_blue likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptySat Oct 16, 2021 3:34 am

They're looking good. Beat #5 UMD at their place last night. We get #1 Minnesota State tonight at UMD in the finals of the Icebreaker tournament. These tournaments are set years in advance but this looked unreal. All 4 teams were ranked in the top ten. #1 Minnesota State, #3 Michigan, #5 Minnesota-Duluth, and #10 Providence. You can't script a better tournament than that.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 6:09 pm

A friend of my wife who is friends with no one said Portillo was the weak link.

Actually heard it on WTKA. They were breaking down some soft goals he gave up against LSSU.

I also am no expert on goalie playing.

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 5:15 pm

joe wrote:
A friend of my wife who is friends with no one said Portillo was the weak link.

Actually heard it on WTKA. They were breaking down some soft goals he gave up against LSSU.

I also am no expert on goalie playing.

I am in no way saying that your friend is completely wrong however it was a 12 minute span. Now I haven't actually seen that game and know enough not to take the homer UM announcers seriously but counting that game Portillo has a GAA of 2.00 after 4 games. That is a small sample size but 2 of those games were against top 5 competition. I'm thinking (but do not know) that LSSU is middle of the pack in the CCHA. Last year Strauss Mann was the man but they did split starts the last half of the season. Portillo had a GAA of 1.67, was 4-1, and a .935 Save Percentage. That was over 359:29, not exactly a small sample size. Those numbers are better than Mann's.

Portillo is the best goalie prospect/player that Michigan has had since Montoya IMUO. I can only speculate, as I didn't hear the TKA feed, but I'm guessing that they said that if forced to pick a weak link Portillo would be it, not that he is it. The reason why why they said that is because he is unproven and much of our skaters are proven. But rest assure, Portillo is a stud. Dude is 6'6" and 225 lbs. He is in the B-school too so obviously he's smart.

Shouldn't you be asking when bouncyball starts?

*mic drop

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 5:26 pm

Oh yea....

https://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyWed Oct 20, 2021 9:04 pm

Guy w/nothin better to do wrote:
Oh yea....

that didn't take long Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyWed Oct 20, 2021 9:07 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Guy w/nothin better to do wrote:
Oh yea....

that didn't take long Very Happy

They're that good. I just hope the inevitable slump doesn't come at the wrong time. Also, for as long as I can remember Michigan has been a second-half team, this is unusual territory.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyYesterday at 8:31 am

You cant get tickets to the game Saturday at Western  because it's been sold out for a while and yesterday my hockey league forwarded an email from Lawson arena asking for skaters to shovel between media time-outs. We signed both of our boys up and now we get to go watch the game for free from the maintenance section. That's just good parenting.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyYesterday at 2:13 pm

Congrats Sandy. I will be there as well as a buddy of mine who has season tickets is taking me. Hoping to watch tonight's game from Ann Arbor, but it looks like its only on BTN plus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyYesterday at 7:30 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
You cant get tickets to the game Saturday at Western  because it's been sold out for a while and yesterday my hockey league forwarded an email from Lawson arena asking for skaters to shovel between media time-outs. We signed both of our boys up and now we get to go watch the game for free from the maintenance section. That's just good parenting.

Yes it is. Kudos.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyYesterday at 7:34 pm

wshoes wrote:
Congrats Sandy. I will be there as well as a buddy of mine who has season tickets is taking me. Hoping to watch tonight's game from Ann Arbor, but it looks like its only on BTN plus.

Yeah. Just buy the school specific pass for a month. Just remember to cancel it because it auto-renews.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyYesterday at 8:18 pm

Things aren't looking so good.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyYesterday at 9:26 pm

Not watching but down 4-2 late. WMU with 3 goals on just 5 shots in the second period.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyYesterday at 9:40 pm

Well that was ugly....

Yes I watched it.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyYesterday at 11:36 pm

As Mr. Mackey would say, “Well, that sucked.”!
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. EmptyToday at 9:25 am

Hope we do better tonight. I'll be there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michigan Hockey thread.   Michigan Hockey thread. Empty

Back to top Go down

Michigan Hockey thread.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL :: MICHIGAN FOOTBALL FORUM-
Jump to: