Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame Empty
PostSubject: This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame   This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 am

I think there was a season or two back in the late 90's or early 00's where we actually opened the season against Notre Dame (I think).

I remember hating that. I don't like opening the season with big games like that. I like a cupcake in week 1 to get our new starters out there and in the rhythm before we go into a game like that.

Not this season.

We've seen how mighty the ND offense can struggle in Game 1 under Kelly. Also, they're going to be starting THREE new people in the secondary this year. They have just FOUR corners on their roster, and two of those guys will be first-year starters. They're also in the midst of ANOTHER quarterback competition/controversy as well.

I think that all would set up for us going into ND and absolutely destroying them in week 1.

But, since the game is in Week 4, I don't think those things will come into play as much.

God I hope we make it four straight against those people.

[EDIT: We opened with ND on the schedule in '99.]

Last edited by Admin on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame   This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 am

CBS Preview on them (short and simple):

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/17922322/spring-practice-primer-notre-dame

michmike

PostSubject: Re: This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame   This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:27 pm

We opened with them EVERY year from 1986-1992 except 1991 (the Grbac-Desmond lay-out catch!)...and in one of those, the 1989 Rocket Friggin' Ismail game, they (ND) HAD played a game the prior week...which I'm convinced to this day was as big a factor as any in the outcome. Any coach who ever tooted a whistle can tell you a team improves the most between games One and Two.

Then, in 1998 and 1999, we also opened with them. And in 1999, after ASSURING us it would be their opener as well, they go and schedule a warm-up with Kansas. (Didn't help them; we won, 26-22). But it was in keeping with the chicanery those cheaps from South Bend would "bend" to in order to win...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame   This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Yep, I remember that now from the 98 and 99.

Too young to remember the 86-92 set, although I was at the Desmond game in that corner in 91 as a youngster.

michmike

PostSubject: Re: This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame   This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Admin wrote:
CBS Preview on them (short and simple):

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/17922322/spring-practice-primer-notre-dame

Thanks for the link, Addy--some stuff of interest. But you know what? When I saw that snapshot of "Touchdown Jesus", the first thing that came into my mind was Kevin Bacon's security-guard character,
in "Animal House", during the riotous panicking precipitated by the Delts' shenanighans, holding out both hands and screaming "REMAIN CALM! REMAIN---CALM!" (only to be trampled seconds later).

(Jeepers, the Irish faithful probably wish COACH KELLY would heed those words more often, eh?)
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame   This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 pm

I do not like opening with them because I always miss the first home game.

We have a family campout on Labor Day weekend.

Now, if you could move opening game to the Sayerday AFTER Labor Day I'd say "Open with them annually." Or, at least as long as we keep playing them.

PostSubject: Re: This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame   This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame Empty

Back to top Go down

This is one of the few seasons I wished we OPENED with Notre Dame
Page 1 of 1